Sponsored by:

Worried about VIN

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2002, 01:41 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

An anonymous friend of mine owns an imported older WRX. The VIN number on the log book issued by the DVLA has an obvious typo on it, a C has been misread as an L at some point. My friend would like to have this misake rectified, however, he's little worried that the DVLA when checking the records with Interpol (assuming they really do check them) used the mis-read VIN number and that using the correct number may show up something nasty. It's also a bit worrying that the car is registered as an Impreza GL, not a WRX.

Any advice?

Old 18 July 2002, 02:04 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

I can't help you with why the VIN number is wrong, however I own an import (Pulsar GTi-R) and it is registered as a 5 door (it's a 3) was told it's because when it came over from Japan whoever is responsible for registering it simply didn't know what they were on about and I have to contact the DVLA and have them change it. Rather vague I know but it might explain why the WRX, GL bit is wrong!
Old 18 July 2002, 02:10 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

We think the 2 are related. The typo means that the VIN number starts GL instead of GC which might explain it, possibly. My frined just doesn't want this to be an issue come selling time.
Old 18 July 2002, 02:28 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It's probably nothing sinister at all. I imported my car from HOlland, and upon sending off everything with the right VIN on it (invoice, Certificate of Conformity, Dutch temporary reg papers, V55/5) they still managed to input a Y as a 7, and put the car down as an Impreza GT.

A phone call to them, in which they advised to put it in writing, sorted it and a new V5 was issued in about two days after they received my original back. The car has the right VIN and now is a Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 AWD, not SubaruImprezaGt

Nick.
Old 18 July 2002, 05:29 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Question

Mine's the same, a GL not a WRX. Had the vin checked and it's spot on for a 93 wrx, police checked it. My guess is the importer says it's a GL and pays less tax/Vat/duty on it. Never bothered getting mine changed but suppose I should do really.
Old 18 July 2002, 06:04 PM
stef555
Scooby Regular

The reason wy there was Impreza GT on the papers was, is b'cause in Holland the turbo is called "Subaru Impreza GT turbo awd"

Grtn. Stefan
owner of GT turbo special version '98 (Terzo in the Uk)
Old 18 July 2002, 07:14 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Hmm my Impreza Turbo says Impreza Sport AWD on the reg document, and seems like it has done since new. Never bothered about it (cos obviously none of the previous owners did) and the VIN etc all match properly plus it's been HPI cleared.

Just seems strange that a UK car can have the wrong model representation. Should I bother getting it changed? When getting insurance quotes they think it's a Sport if I give them the reg number as well!