Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there something wrong with the new Sti?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2002, 06:25 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

The reason i ask is that there seems to be quite a few for sale.

Why????
Old 17 July 2002, 06:36 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove one for a couple of hours and wasn't impressed, compared to my MY00 Turbo, lightly modded.

Main problem was the turbo not waking up unitl 4K revs, which unless you are on a country lane blast, or on a track, is not very clever. I was constantly changing gear to keep the engine in the power band.

Having said that it will probably be my next car, unless the Focus Cosworth is worth waiting for.

Stepping back into my car, I did not feel dissapointed, which shows how good the original Impreza is and great value for money too.

Dan

[Edited by DJ140 - 7/18/2002 9:24:41 AM]
Old 17 July 2002, 06:50 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeh i test drove one recently as well, i must admit that the 6 speed box keeps you 'Busy' but i put that down to the fact that the gear box is setup for performance.

the steering seemed a bit tighter as well (i own a new Wrx at the mo).

i was just wondering if the new car meets expectations as i am looking to get one in 18 months or so.

S.
Old 17 July 2002, 06:52 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

evry race car has short gearing.
can't see it as a reason for reselling
Old 17 July 2002, 06:58 PM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve.

I drove a MY99 for 3 years and loved it. Was very sad to let it go. Then had an Evo VII FQ300 for 7 weeks and hated it! Now got an STi Type UK Prodrive and absolutely love it!

It seems to do most things my other turbo did but just a bit better and a bit more, how can I put this, politely!?! Some people may consider this to be a negative (not so raw) but I like it and am delighted (at the moment). Can't wait for the PPP!
Old 17 July 2002, 06:59 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

DJ140: I agree entirely. The STI engine really didn't come alive until it was revving above 4k, and although the 6 speed box probably made it easier to keep it in that range, it made driving hard work. I got back into my MY00 (with PPP) at the end of the test drive, pulled smartly out of the garage (form a standstill - low revs) and immediately thought 'the STI wouldn't have done that'. My car's engine is much more flexible even if not as ultimately powerful.

STI suspension was rock hard too - not my thing at all.

Andy.
Old 17 July 2002, 10:47 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Andy

Have to disagree with the hard suspension.

Try a P1 on 18's .....

Agree wholeheartedly with your other comments, the day to day flexibility of the engine does make it a little more hard work.

PPP when it arrives should address that though

[Edited by russell hayward - 7/17/2002 10:48:55 PM]
Old 17 July 2002, 11:05 PM
Scooby Regular

Guys

After trading in my MY00 four months ago for a new STI, I haven't looked back.

I agree it's hard work to drive, but after a few weeks you get used to it. However, I admit for these few weeks I wish I'd never bought it.

6000 miles later, the engine has loosened up nicely, the gearing is awesome, handling is nearly faultless, brakes outstanding, build quality in a different league, it turns lots more heads, I could go on and on.

Remember, it's got all the latest technology and a 80% new engine, it's going to be different.

But, it'll take a good few weeks to adapt your driving style.....

Cheers

Nils

Old 17 July 2002, 11:10 PM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with 5903.
Old 17 July 2002, 11:34 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Further endorsement for 5903's views.

I've had my STi for 3 months and its taken me this time to really appreciate it. The gearbox is very different to the previous versions and I've struggled to find gears until recently. The handling again takes some getting used to but is ultimately much more rewarding. In acceleration terms, the STi is only a little quicker than my old MY98 but for fast cornering, the STi is leagues better.

So the bottom line, don't rely on a 10 minute test drive.

D.

[Edited by DJB - 7/17/2002 11:35:43 PM]
Old 17 July 2002, 11:38 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

What was wrong with the fq300 steve?
Old 18 July 2002, 12:10 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Spooky I was going to ask the same question.
Old 18 July 2002, 09:03 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I test drove an STi with 200 miles on it (par for the course on a Demo car I would have thought) and whilst I liked it, I didn't think it was hardly any better than my lightly modded UK MY00. I then went in a several thousand mile old STi with Eibachs, uprated ARB and was blown away by how much better, and faster it was than the demo STi.

I had gone out for a spin with a mate early one Saturday morning with the sole intention of having some fun, and got out of his car realising that I needed to own one. I've now had my STi two weeks and in the 800 miles I have done, it has changed a surprising amount. It's starting to loosen up, feels faster, more flexible down the bottom end, gearbox is starting to be a bit more slick etc. and the handling as standard is about on par, if not slightly better than my MY00 which had Bump Steer Mod, Eibachs and ALK. When the STi has had a few tweaks, it's gonna be amazing!!!!

And all that's about the driving, let alone the extra "niceness" of the new car - seats, interior, absence of squeaks and rattles, climate control, lack of wind noise, comfort etc. etc. etc.

I would say that it takes time to really appreciate the extra qualities of the new STi, and becuase it's quite different to the old car, takes time to adjust. Once you have, you realise just what a huge step up and forward it is.

All just IMHO

Matt

P.S. Both the demo STi and my car have shaggy Geometry from the factory and this can only detract from the driving experience.....how many other demo STi's do you think are out there in this state? I'd say a fair few....I'll be getting that sorted very soon!!!!!
Old 18 July 2002, 09:12 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Russell: I don't doubt that a P1 with fat wheels is even harder, but that doesn't change the fact that I found the STI uncomfortable. Most of my driving is a 20 mile motorway commute, for which ultimate handling has to take second place to tolerable ride comfort.

I asked about the PPP myself, but it seemed that nobody (least of all the dealer) knew much about it or when it would come out. I gave up waiting and bought a Westfield with the money instead Belting through the gears with a torquey engine that has no turbo lag whatsoever is an experience no Scooby will ever offer...

Andy.
Old 18 July 2002, 09:13 AM
stuart brooke
Scooby Regular

THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THE STI. IT IS THE MOST USABLE, ENJOYABLE DRIVES I HAVE EVER HAD. IT DOES TAKE SOME TIME TO GET USED TO BUT IT PUTS BIG SMILES ON MY FACE EVERY TIME I GET INTO IT.

MINE IS FOR SALE AS I HAVE A NEW MOTOR COMING IN SEPT WHICH HAS BEEN ON ORDER SINCE MAY 01. I NEARLY CANCELLED THIS TO KEEP THE SCOOB I THINK ITS THAT GOOD. SHAME TO SEE IT GO.
Old 18 July 2002, 09:22 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Talking

As I have never driven an older scooby I can't comment on the difference between these and the new STi, all I can say is that I've had mine a week and in the 1300 miles I've covered the car has already exceeded my expectations, despite the fact it isn't fully run in yet. During a blast around some open roads in scotland, didn't come across anything that could get near it despite the fact that i was only revving to 4.5k. The ride is firm but it is like a sofa compared to the TVR I had before. Once it's fully run in and i've had the cr*p stereo replaced, I think it will be a really awesome motor. The only thing that surprises me is the way other drivers react - but that's their problem. I did get more smiles and waves in the TVR, but then I suppose it's a very different sort of car.

Charlie.
Old 18 July 2002, 09:29 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Hi Stevethevet
Can you let me know some more info about your FQ300 - STI7 experience.
I have a WRSport RB5 which I love.
I test drove the STI7 (not for long though) and did not fall in love with it. Got back into mine and didnt want to change mine.
I also drove the FQ300 which I quite liked.
I wont be selling for a while but when I do I would rather have the FQ300 I think.
I would be very interested and grateful if you let me know what made you change your mind as test driving a car is obvoiusly totally different to owning one.

Many thanks

Jas
Old 18 July 2002, 09:49 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I drive my STi prodrive up and down the M4 every day (probably do around 60miles a day on the motorway). Not had any complaints about the comfort or the ride being too hard. In fact I'd say it was a darn sight more comfortable than my old MY00 turbo. I'm drving it to Austria at the end of next week (3000 mile round trip) so I'll let you know what it's like on a long run

Iain
Old 18 July 2002, 09:52 AM
aussiejim
Scooby Regular

I thought the new sti's suspension would have been soft in comparison to older rexy's.
As for the "its hard work changing gears" comments, come on guy's live a little!!! Its a bloody peformance car not an auto grand tourer!!!! Ok if your stuck in traffic then its gonna suck but hit the open roads and live it up Its fun
Cheers
Aussiejim
Old 18 July 2002, 09:57 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Just to play devil's advocate, those of you that said it took you a while to appreciate the new STi, have you driven an older car since then just for comparisons sake?
Old 18 July 2002, 10:19 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Reason for sale: economic climate, maybe?

Just a thought. I'd personally love a new STI, and am saving pennies for just such an occurrance. Will have to have a downpipe tho. And 18s.
Old 18 July 2002, 10:25 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Yes, I endorse 5903's assessment too, - it's very fair statement. I'm surprised, like many others, about your concern at the ride as the comparative comfort of the ride is what gives STi the edge over the even sharper EVOs in eyes of the Motoring Press!!

Thing is - It's different and like all Imprezas, takes time to get used to and time to loosen up. Mine's now 4k miles old and really starting to fly. I do slightly resent the need to pay more to improve the 3000 - 4000 torque with PPP and if, as most of the experts suggest, 18" wheels are better - well, it should have come with them in the first place.

The 2/H ones may well be the thrashed demonstrators coming on the market?????

What don't I like?? Mine rattles..... Still
(See Suspension threads!!)

Phil
Old 18 July 2002, 10:42 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Before I start I am a proud owner of an STI 7 PRODRIVE.
After reading the above posts it seems a lot of people are passing comment on a car they have only driven for a few miles or so as someone, DJB I think said.
I went from a lightly modded well run in uk98 to the STI, after driving with caustion in mind and the shift light set to 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles I had the first service and then decided to try the performance, I must admit I was a little disappointed with the low rev range performance compared to my old car( bring on the ppp ), but was assured this would get better with time baring in mind I, like all you guys were judging a well run in car to a very tight brand new model, after a few miles that all changed the car now with 6000 miles on the clock is almost loose and drives ten times better than before.
I then went for a wheel alignment check to see if the geometry was out and found that each wheel was different, so I had the Prodrive settings done and that has made a big change to the handling.
To sum this up no car what ever the cost whether it be a Fiesta or a Ferrari is a perfect car there is always something that is not suited to you 100%, to hard suspension,brakes not good enough,crap on motor ways or in my case to juicy and so on.
Most of us mod our cars from standard anyway.
Like I said most of us mod our cars and the STI is a great platform to start.
The fact of the matter is from my own opinion my old uk98 was a great car but my STI is better.
If I did a long blast in my old 98 I would get to the end and feel I had worked hard, but the STI could be turned around and driven back with half the effort and possible get there quicker.
I am not in any way mocking the old shape cars as I have a few mates with them and they are truely an awesome car whether a uk or jap import but times change and technology gets better and the STI is a totally different car from the old shape NOT BETTER NOT WORSE JUST DIFFERENT.
So enjoy what ever you drive and if you prefer a P1 or STI 4 so be it, each to there own.

Arron.
Old 18 July 2002, 10:49 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

ANDY C_772
If most of your driving is done on a motorway and the STI was uncomfortable and ultimate handling has to play second place why did you buy a Westfield.

Awesome track car but not associated with motorways.

Arron.
Old 18 July 2002, 02:30 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The reason I wanted to look at new cars at all, was because I've had my MY00 for a couple of years and I was getting bored with it. I wanted to make the time I spent commuting more interesting, so I looked at an STI just because I wanted a change, and didn't want to lose any of the features of my MY00 that I liked. That didn't leave many choices.

The STI would have had to be my only car, which means that I was looking for something that would be flexible in town and relatively comfy on long motorway journeys as well as exciting on a B-road blat (which I'm sure it would be). I honestly didn't think it was as good an all-rounder as my MY00.

I bought the Westfield to keep as well as my old Scooby, which means that I now have a choice of cars depending on what mood I'm in. I still have the Scooby for long journeys, bad weather and carrying stuff, and I have the Westy for fun when it's warm and dry like it is now. The driving experience is far more intense than any Scooby, so I don't get bored - at least not yet. When I do, I'll flog it and buy a TVR.

Hope you don't think I'm mad any more

Andy.
Old 19 July 2002, 12:32 AM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Daz B and Nathan L.

Just posted a reply to your question in the thread "FTAO Stevethevet".

Best wishes,
Steve.
Old 19 July 2002, 12:56 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

The all round comfort and road handling is in IMHO far better than the old model and with foot flat to floor you can't see the lights I reckon the lights are superb performance wise.

All thats missing from the UKSTi7 is 50bhp and 90lbs of torque If UKSTi7's don't get something near that from PPP(At the right price) there will be a loads parked up on Subaru forecourts

Tony
Ps. a STi7RA version would be nice
Old 19 July 2002, 08:15 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Andy,

I'm surprised you think that your MY00 is better on the motorway because I was shocked at how much more comfortable and relaxing the STi is on the m/way compared to my MY00

Each to their own hey?

Matt

P.S. Which Westie are you getting?
Old 19 July 2002, 08:23 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Matt,

I guess it must just be down to personal preference. I found the STI too firm and jiggly - it reminded me of the Mitsubishi FTO that I tried a couple of years ago. I think the new WRX actually has the best ride of the lot, but they're a bit slow and heavy.

The Westy I bought was this one, with a 2 litre Vauxhall engine. It's costing me a small fortune to sort everything out - buying used cars has never been my strong point - but it'll be great when everything's working properly!

Andy.
Old 20 July 2002, 01:02 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Well if PPP is all it's cracked up to be my old bank balance will be £2K lighter as on another post says the price is £1995 inc vat and fitting

So now there won't be anything wrong with the UKSTi7 except the bloke driving it or mayebe PHP Oooops, sorry Mike W let's get one thing sorted at a time LOL

Tony

Spooling crape

[Edited by T5NYW - 7/20/2002 1:04:57 AM]

Quick Reply: Is there something wrong with the new Sti?