Sponsored by:

A very pleasant day with Evo

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2001, 08:10 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Just got back from a day's shoot for Evo with my P1, Yex's RB5, a UK300 and an STi 7. Very interesting.

Apart from anything, it gave Yex and I a chance to have a little 'blat' in the two MY01's. Although I have to admit to being a little disappointed with the UK300, the STi 7 was most entertaining. For those who have not tried a MY01, the differences are too many to mention, but it's well worth trying one for yourself. It's a completely different car and, although they're not to my taste, worth a test drive any day.

The STi was great fun to throw around (if you can work out how to start the flippin' thing) but being smoother and more refined, it just didn't feel that quick. Anyway, like everything, it's all subjective.

Just seems like an awfully long wait now until we see the results.

Josh
Old 13 June 2001, 08:23 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Is it going to make next months Evo?
Im sure Im not alone in wanting to hear more about the itinary of the day etc, as I will definately be buying one of these cars in a couple of months..
Old 14 June 2001, 12:02 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Yex - Josh was selling drinks !!!!! .
Old 14 June 2001, 06:50 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I'll post something up in more detail a bit later, if Yex doesn't beat me to it.

But if your interested in the UK300, I would have to admit that we didn't have a chance to use it too much as the Evo guys manged to get a large screw stuck in the tread. This, together with the loose retaining pin on the front brake caliper detered anyone from using it to the full for the rest of the day.

Josh
Old 14 June 2001, 07:22 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Josh

Look forward to EVO's write up. As you say the new shape is a different car, and you do lose the sense of speed - not good for your license.

Interestingly Autocar has now done a full performance comparison of the STI 7 vs EVO 7, and it showed the STI to be evry bit as quick as the P1/STI5/6. Infact it was slightly quicker than the EVO 7.

Ive found Ive looked down at the speedo a few times and thought I was going 20mph slower than I actually was.

Jonathan
UK300
Old 14 June 2001, 10:51 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Morning all, just managed to clear the desk of the crap that appears on it when I'm off

As Josh states we had an excellent day with the 3 guys from EVO - John, Jethro and Gus. It was an opportunity to see how the guys worked to produce the type of article we take for granted in every edition of the magazine. They work very hard ALL DAY, even though they are doing something they obviously enjoy

I'll let Josh post up the format of the day and add anything I think is relevant, but all in all an excellent day and being allowed to drive the two MY01 cars was a real treat. I particularly liked the bit at the end of the day when John Barker stated "We've finished with the STi 7 for the day do you guys fancy going for a bit of a strop in it?" Marvellous stuff, especially as Josh and I had now had about 8 hours to figure out how the alarm and immobiliser worked

Yex

PS: first highlight of the day was the girl selling drinks in the control tower - not many clothes and excellent thingies
Old 14 June 2001, 01:00 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Some guys have all the luck
Old 14 June 2001, 06:05 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Cool

As requested, ‘ What I did on Wednesday’ by Josh aged 7 (sorry that’s my IQ)

After a few changes of mind / itinery, we all ended up at Kemble Airfield, near Malmesbury, at around 10.30 and, following a cup of coffee (see Yex’s comments re; the young lady) and a brief chat, we adjourned to a corner of the airfield to start on the photography.

After taking a ‘chase’ shot of the P1, the emphasis was put on photographing the two MY01’s, so that Jethro could head off in the STi for the first of his test-drives. Then came the turn of the RB5 to be run round the ‘skid-pan’ roundabout until Gus was satisfied, or the driver threw up. Fortunately, for Ian’s interior, Gus got what he wanted fairly quickly. Ian and I were then asked to drive our cars up and down in formation, again and again, whilst the cars were photographed from behind. Eventually Jethro reappeared with the Sti and, more importantly, refreshments, before disappearing again. This time with the RB5.

More periods of hurry up and wait ensued, whilst more individual shots were taken of the cars, and group shots set up in readiness for the return of the RB5. I would make it clear that although, as one might reasonably expect, there was quite a lot of hanging around, the Evo guys were always friendly, helpful and more than happy to have a chat. Following Jethro’s re-emergence a couple more shots were taken before he finally left with my baby. I don’t know about Ian, but I was a little concerned at this point, but they were very reassuring, and judging by the condition of the tyres, fairly sympathetic with the cars. The same thing can’t really be said about their ‘enthusiastic’ driving of the Sti when doing some very entertaining rally style hairpins (lots of smoke, squealing and cheering ensued)

After the final group shots were complete we were invited to ‘have a strop’ with the Sti, which we reluctantly agreed to (ahem). Obviously it’s impossible to draw any conclusions from a few minutes drive, but I found the power delivery to be remarkably smooth, the turn-in to be razor sharp, the build quality to be much improved and all in all nowhere near as much fun. I’m afraid I enjoy the unrefined feel of the old car, but each to his own. The speed of the new car is very deceptive though.

Anyway, thanks to the guys for a fascinating day. Personally, it was great to watch a proper photographer at work. Especially one of Gus’ calibre.

Josh

Oh! The result? Jethro would say nothing more than ‘it’s a 4 way tie’. The Barsteward!
Old 14 June 2001, 06:22 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Josh

Your too modest

'It was Great to watch a proper photographer at work'
UnQuote

YOU ARE OF GUTS CALIBRE
Old 14 June 2001, 07:01 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

On a serious note, it's always facinating to watch someone like Gus work, because both his approach and background are completely different to that of a Sports/Features photographer like myself.

I had rather hoped to pick up a few ideas, based on the techniques he uses, but a fair amount of his work relies heavily on the drivers doing what he wants, exactly where he specifies, over and over again. This, together with a large dolop of trust.

On at least one occasion he was in a very good position to get run over, yet he trusted the driver (John) implicitly. For my part, when covering track days, I can't always rely on a driver taking the same line twice, let alone anything else. After all, people on track days are just having a bloody good time!

It's given me a few ideas, I'll have to discuss the practicalities of some of them with someone like Rob Mac first.

Josh

[This message has been edited by Josh L (edited 14 June 2001).]
Old 15 June 2001, 09:12 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'd like to confirm Josh's comments on working with the guys from EVO, they were professional but still friendly and talkative throughout the whole day. The trust that Gus has in the ability of John Barker to put a car exactly where he wants it time after time is something you just have to see.

I managed to get to David Hendry Cars on time and had another couple of surprises to look at prior to driving to the airfield. Round the back of their exceptionally well stocked TVR display was the only road going Tamora in the UK, the one from the cover shot of last months EVO. An awesome looking car up close and at least 20% smaller than any current TVR. Apparently they have it on loan for a sports car show in Bristol this weekend, along with a Tuscan R and some other loony TVR that was being delivered from Blackpool today. They also had an STi 7 in silver being prepared for sale and 2 5 door STi 7's awaiting preparation. The other unusual car was an STi Forester in black with an "in your face" bodykit and a 260BHP engine shame I couldn't fit all 3 dogs in it as I'm sure I would have bought it

So a word of warning.....don't go to David Hendry Cars without wanting to buy something, I'm still regretting not asking for a test drive in the stunning Tuscan Speed 6 that was sat on the forecaourt yelling "buy me"

Yex