Sponsored by:

Warning - Body service = get out clause

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2002, 01:49 PM
Simon Graham
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just rang my local 'friendly' Subaru dealer to ask how long the paint warranty is on an Impreza - 6 years. Great, I thought, I can get the badly flaking paint on the bonnet vent fixed.

But, NO, only if you've had all the relevant body services done!!!
As I bought the car second hand it's already missed one which invalidates the paint warranty and I have to get their shoddy workmanship fixed out of my own pocket. The second one was due during my ownership but was never mentioned when I booked the car in for all it's other services (yes, I should've read all the handbooks but anyoen know another car which needs dealer cleaning to keep the warranty??? It's got a full main dealer SH).

First - any tips to persuade them otherwise, and...
secondly - anyone know a good paint shop in Norwich??? The dealer hasn't the facilities so it'll get sent to Lex or soemwhere anyway so I might as well cut the middlemen.

Feel cheated...
Old 15 July 2002, 02:45 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Simon,

The issue is with IM. Best advice is to contact them as the Dealer won't have any say in the matter.

I'm in a similar position. I had a rust spot fixed whilst under warranty by the original Dealer, but they never mentioned getting the bodywork service done after the 1st year (I had plenty of reminders about the usual servicing). Like you I only spotted it years later when bored one day in traffic a read the booklet.

The next one is after 3 years, but my new Dealer tells me there isn't much point as I'll not get the 6yr warranty coz the first one wasn't done.

Can anyone tell us what the actually do??

Stefan
Old 15 July 2002, 02:50 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The dealer that I use, merely stamped it when i took my book in(after I had overlooked asking them at the first service).
Old 15 July 2002, 03:11 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The 1 year body service consists of an inspection and the re-coating of the bottom of the car with underseal. It makes the car smell like new for a couple of weeks

In my case, it also included (free of charge) the coating of all my paintwork and glass with tiny, oily black spots that were a complete pain to remove. I shall be reminding my dealer of this fact when it goes in for the 3 year service next Jan.

Andy.
Old 15 July 2002, 04:10 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

As for other manufactures requiring this sort of thing - I know Proton does as my mum had to have it done on her car.

I too had the 1st missed (before I bought the car) the supplying dealer said not to bother anyway with the rest as Subaru built good cars anyway and it was unlikely to rust. Also - none of the Jap imports have it done either - don't see any probs with them do ya

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 7/15/2002 4:11:08 PM]
Old 15 July 2002, 04:28 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

This is proof of why the body service needs doing when people ask. A pain I know, expensive - can be. At least it will keep you covered for when things go wrong. Had both my Imprezas done at the intervals.
Old 15 July 2002, 04:44 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I fully agree that it should be done and I would have happily paid the money at the time if I'd been reminded. Maybe the Dealers should take note and start sending out reminders along with all the others for the std servicing.

Stefan