Sponsored by:

Spot ov bovver wiv me exhaust chaps!

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2001, 07:04 AM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I had the same problem once. Took it to my local Kwikfit where they heated the centre pipe and bent it so that all was well underneath(The back box kept jumping off its hanger until then). End of problem. Did it all without taking the exhaust off the car and didnt charge me.
Greg
Old 12 June 2001, 09:15 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sometimes, cable-tying the back-box to the rear rubber exhasut mounts over to one side will stop this. This will hold the exhaust away from the diff or whatever it is it's hitting.

Stef.
Old 12 June 2001, 10:58 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Stef, where about on the back box do you tie off though?

Also is this a common problem/ occourence?

MIKEY
Old 12 June 2001, 11:04 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Mikey

I've just spoken to Trousers (Paul) at TSL, who fitted this for you.

Paul said he was rather concerned at the fit of your backbox (not sure whose it is) would like to fit a different backbox, so that you can be reassured that it is not your centre that is at fault. He can fit one of ours and/or a standard backbox so you can see how the box should fit.

Paul share's my customer care philosophy and will do this for no charge.

Please call him to arrange this asap, as it is clear that your current box is damaging the driveshafts.
Old 12 June 2001, 12:55 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

So i get's me shiny scoob, Salsa-King, Craigamongus, Hanslow and Student Bloke take the p*ss cos it's got a standard exhaust.

I change the Back Box.........Nice all is well

2000 miles later, I change the centre section fab noise extra oomph midrange "wicked", Then it starts to go a bit pear shaped

Every time I go round a right hander, the exhaust clatters around under the car, I takes it to me local Scoob fettlers and ask if I can borrow their ramp for a few minutes, just to check it out. They oblige cos they are

Upon first inspection, it doesn't look good, looking up at the exhaust from back to front, the centre section looks like it is being "pulled" to the left by the back box and subsequently touches the underside going round right handers

Even more concerning though is that where the exhaust enters the back box and twists it's way under the suspension arm and round past the diff, you could see wear marks on the prop shaft where the suspension had compressed and actually made contact with the exhaust pipe

Now my dillema is this:

1) The back box was fine with the OE centre section

2) The center section is a scooby sport job

3) Both suppliers have been cool about it and have said "if it's our part that is wrong we will change it"

4) The centre section people say that it's the back box and they pointed out why the centre section looks like it is being pulled out of position. But it was fine before!

5) The back box people have said that they would need to look at it before passing comment, That involves a 120 mile round trip

What should I do?

Don't ask me for the suppliers names cos I don't want this to look like a finger pointing thread. I just want to know, if anyone else has experienced similar problems and what did they do about it.

Cheers in anticipation to the power of the bbs

MIKEY
Old 12 June 2001, 03:40 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Stick to one supplier for your exhaust mate! Bought a MRT downpipe back from Oz with me to save a few quid. Couple of us have had a go, and it will not mate to anything but a MRT system (against face to face advice of its creator!). I already had a Scooby Sport backbox as stage 1, so I'm screwed!

Up for grabs of course and is a genuine 3'' system...

We learn the hard way...
Old 12 June 2001, 11:37 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

We do indeed

I'm off on that 120 mile round trip to get it sorted tommorrow.

I'd just like to say that both suppliers have been brilliant and it's nice to know that there is a fantastic level of customer care out there for us to benefit from.

Generally it seems that if there is a problem, suppliers will try to help instead of fobbing us off.

Dealers could learn a thing or two here it seems

MIKEY

ps Pete, thanks for your input.