Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Geodesy to find speed cameras - should i buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2001, 02:44 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone got a Geodesy speed camera detector?

It's the one that locates them using satellite GPS technology, not from their beams, and therefore is 100% legal.
The only thing is, they don't warn you of hand-held radar traps or back-of-a-van cameras, so is it really worth £380?

Anybody got one?

Terry
Old 08 June 2001, 02:49 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

No m8, not yet but do a search in this forum and you will find quite a few previous posts. From what I can remember they are superb!

Cheers,

Mossman
Old 08 June 2001, 03:28 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Terry

Mine came yesterday. Haven't had too much opportunity to test it, but it a found a few local cameras straight away.

I decided to go for it as I do a lot of city driving where cameras are used more than hand held or mobile units (well in London anyway).

Also, there is a navigation add on coming later on in the year, so it will be multi-use.

As for cost, i managed to get it at a discount from Apex Motorsport (run by a guy called Bren). If you search on here you will find the thread with his contact details - might be worth seeing if he can still do a deal.

Will let you know more after I "test" it more thoroughly this weekend.

Cheers
Peter

Old 08 June 2001, 03:40 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Does it pick up all camera sites, whether or not they have a camera?

Just had a BEL 550 and at least 75% of the grey boxes in the West Mids appear to be empty.

A pleasant surprise is that I seem to be driving slower now. Or is that the broken ribs and trapped nerve in the neck?
Old 08 June 2001, 03:51 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Yes it does pick up every camera site, loaded or not.
A BEL 550 would be a better alternative, in that it ignores non-loaded sites, except for the fact that they're due to become extremely
illegal very soon. Yes, yes, "unplug it if you're pulled over", but they'll get you in the end.
Old 08 June 2001, 04:13 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

I have one of these and they have picked up every fixed site camera. It really comes into its own when you're on unfamilier roads with the dreaded camera signs. It cannot (I believe) tell whether the camera is active or not but if cameras are moved (i.e. roadwork ones) then after a few days it recognises this - it depends how often/well the main database is updated and obviously how often the user uploads the new info!

Better than, say, a bel 990? At present its a close call. Granted mine can't pick up a white van, but then again judging by the trend of fewer traffic police and increasing self-funding fixed site cameras, its just a matter of time when Geodesy will be the thing to have.

Think of it this way, if in say 3 years time there'll be 200% more cameras, my geodesy will spot every one, regardless of the technology inside them used to detect you. Will a bel 990 be able to detect the laser/radar frequencies used in the future? Will they be legal in, say the next year?

Another thing to consider is application. If you do alot of motorway miles in areas that traffic police patrol often, then geodesy is not for you. I on the other hand drive in and around London in the evenings and on the weekend and have the occasional unfamilier A-B road blast. I treat Geodesy as an investment in my license!

Justin
Old 08 June 2001, 04:22 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Justin

Going slightly off topic, but where have you positioned the Geodesy unit in your car? I am debating where to put it at the moment and could use some advice.

Cheers
Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter L (edited 08 June 2001).]
Old 08 June 2001, 04:24 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Telboy,

I agree radar detector's may become illegal but a detector is of more benefit to me at the moment. If they become illegal I guess I will still use it unless the penalty is HUGE, ie similar to the French. I think they just stop short of the Marigolds!!

Old 08 June 2001, 04:45 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Just received mine today. Looks great. And I can't wait to use it.

I've had speed trap detectors b4 and they are not reliable, this has to be the best idea going.

M
Old 08 June 2001, 04:53 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

Peter,

I've got an older style dash, so I mounted it on top in the middle, as far forward as poss. Peripheral vision picks up the LEDs. Just make sure you can see it with out moving your head, it can see the sky, and you can touch it easily to turn off the beep!

goto
Old 08 June 2001, 05:04 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Justin

Unfortunately the pictures don't appear to me - just get a red cross!!

Peter
Old 08 June 2001, 05:07 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Mine's mounted like this
Old 08 June 2001, 05:43 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Question

Peter, can you see this? Can anyone else?

Justin
Old 08 June 2001, 08:18 PM
bren simpson
Scooby Regular

Terry,

Mail me on sales@apexperformance.co.uk if youre interested in a Geodesy and I'll sort you a good deal

For more information about what they do visit
Old 09 June 2001, 09:22 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

The front facing cameras are usually triggered by induction tubes under the road and so no radar detector would spot them as there is nothing to detect. The morpheous does though.

Cheers.

Paul
Old 09 June 2001, 09:31 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had mine for about 2 months now, but I haven't found any cameras that they don't have on their database (they will give you £50 back if you are the first person to spot a new/moved camera).

Darren.
Old 11 June 2001, 05:28 PM
networx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If any of you guy's are interested in purchasing Geodesy GPS unit's, we are prepared to offer a quanity discount price of £340.00 inc vat and next day delivery.

look at
Old 11 June 2001, 05:38 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

bren, is your price less or more than networx?
Old 11 June 2001, 10:27 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Justin - I see it now

I got mine through Bren at Apex - well worth seeing if he can get you the right deal (as per usual, I have no conection with Apex - just a satisfied customer )

Peter
Old 11 June 2001, 10:30 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bren has quoted me the best price so far, but I won't post it here. E-mail me if interested. I will be taking Bren my deposit this week. Again no connection blah, blah, blah...

TONY
Old 12 June 2001, 10:36 AM
bren simpson
Scooby Regular

Sorry, discount period has now finished

Hope the lucky guys are happy

Bren
Old 12 June 2001, 10:38 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I am told they are bringing in a GPS add on thing soon.

Does this mean an add on to people with GPS navigation to include speed cameras, or a satellite navigation product from geodesy?
Old 12 June 2001, 03:37 PM
caprice
Scooby Newbie

Wink

You guys seem to know all about these devices. I am a bit lead footed for a girl.

Has anyone purchased a laser jamming device and is it easy to fit. ( remember I am not as mechanically minded as you guys ).

Paul , I have not seen a front facing camera , is there a visable difference? I notice you are local to me.

Caprice

Old 12 June 2001, 04:01 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Gatsos are not triggered by induction loops buried in the road as mentioned earlier. They use K band radar - well according to my new Bel 550 anyway! Speed would be hard to measure by induction loops - how do you know when one car ends and the other finishes???

I think red light cameras use induction loops though - snap anything metallic when light is red, and there shouldn't be anything metallic in that bit of road. My bloody fillings could prob set it off! Hope I'm right here...

I consider my bloody expensive radio (cos that's all it is a wireless tuned somewhat above Radio 1) now essential due to the continual attack on motorists and the complete lack of discretion shown by the revenue cameras.

If however you jump a red light you deserve all you get! I motorcycle to work, and am generally at the head of every traffic light queue - the amount of chancers on red in London is astounding. Forget amber gambling, that's well old fashioned and quaint. It is SO dangerous jumping a red since many scooter riders zoom off on green, without checking - BANG - dented car panels you can replace, legs you can't!

There are a few expensive door mirrors on the floor in Kings Cross for which I half apologise (and isn't it such a hassle getting the replacement one painted to match!), but you can't call me a Cu*t after almost flattening me!

I thank you for the rant!

D
Old 12 June 2001, 04:25 PM
Dark Muppet
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by caprice:
<B>You guys seem to know all about these devices. I am a bit lead footed for a girl.

Has anyone purchased a laser jamming device and is it easy to fit. ( remember I am not as mechanically minded as you guys ).

Paul , I have not seen a front facing camera , is there a visable difference? I notice you are local to me.

Caprice

[/quote]

Read all about em here
Old 12 June 2001, 04:26 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Adam

I understand that Morpheous (the company who makes Geodesy)are bringing out a navigation add on to the speed camera - or should I say accident black spot - detector.

It relies on the driver having a Palm Pilot to link to it. The clever thing is that it will provide routes that also avoid speed cameras Clever eh!!

Peter