Sponsored by:

22B Question

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2002, 11:20 PM
GrahamR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello chaps,

First off, I would like to point out that I live in the United States. I am very interested in the Subaru 22B, a Prodrive special. From my knowledge, this car is only built in RHD models, correct? I am thoroughly looking into bringing one 22B to the United States to be driven legally on the street, though I have run into some problems, one being NO RHD cars are allowed to be imported for legal use unless over 25 years old. Before anyone says it can't be done, I must point out that there is a company legally importing EVO VII's, you can check it out here: www.evolutionimports.com. This gives me hope of getting a 22B to the states.

Also, were there any Subaru P1's built in LHD format, something that can comply with US standards?

I thank anyone for any information they can provide of these two vehicles.

Graham
Old 12 July 2002, 11:29 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is extremely diffcult, if not impossible, to import a 22B into the USA as a Street legal vehicle. There are two in the USA Subaru of America own one and this will have to be crushed or re-exported pretty soon. The other is in Colorado and is a stripped out race used at Pike peak last year.

I was planning on bringing mine into the USA but the EPA rules that were added to the NHTSA rules make it almost impossible.

This is the reason that mine has been "living" in the Uk for the last 3 years and not in Seattle.

Richard
Old 13 July 2002, 03:01 PM
GrahamR
Scooby Newbie

Well, it seems that cars CAN be legally imported, it just costs much money and there is lots that has to be done. I have spoken to several importers (sometimes these guys will lie to your face)about it and all say yes, but it will cost a bundle. If EVO VII's can be brought in legally, I see no reason why the 22B cannot due to the fact that we have its chassis in form on the 2.5 RS in the States.

Graham
Old 13 July 2002, 03:56 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Graham I hope this is landmark then as many have tried and to my knowledge all have failed including one Mr Gates with a 959 .
Old 13 July 2002, 03:58 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

All P1's were for UK sale so are RHD you maybe able to get a LHD turbo from Europe but it will only have 215bhp. Some of the type RA's weres built as LHD for group N spec rallying but you have less chance of getting one of them in than a normal scoob.

Also the E7 maybe slightly different import wise as it has to meet stricter emission and crash regulations hence the reason the scoob turbo WRX has appeared in US showrooms.

[Edited by chrisp - 7/13/2002 4:00:34 PM]
Old 15 July 2002, 12:21 PM
FLEET SALES
Scooby Newbie

Graham R please contact me we have a LHD STI Type R Version 6 For Sale brand new ,unregistered covered only 40 miles.

David LLoyd
dlloyd@prodrive.com