Sponsored by:

Comments

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2001, 07:52 PM
leevj
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm in the market for a WRX STI Type R and i'm getting so much conflicting info that i thought i would post on this site. Are spares for imports available and if so are the prices inflated? What would i expect to pay for a 98/99 model? Can you insure them at moderate prices compared with uk models? I've been told there is a huge import dealer around oxford area - anyone know the name and number? Finally is there a demand for jap imports anymore...as the P1 has arrived and is almost the same as the Type R
Any info will be much appreciated......
Old 12 June 2001, 08:32 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Spares are difficult to get hold of, unless you can blag genuine UK parts where relevant.

The supply of the cars is fine, not as many for sale as UK ones, and better standard spec (280 Vs 215BHP + more 'kit') for similar money.

Example....I know of a well looked after 2.5 year ols black STi4 Type R (Type R being the 2-door if you didn't know). Great condition, 17" wheels, ECU/Exhaust/IK change to give 330bhp, £2000 worth of serious stereo and only 25000 miles for sale at c£16k!
Old 12 June 2001, 08:55 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Shp around for insurance, Priveledge are often the best 0 if you have a clean history and good NCB you should find imports and UK cars are not too different.....

Yes there is a demand for Jap imports as they are still better cars , it is just that there is less call to import them now due to the disadvantageous exchange rate between theyen and pound. The good ones that are in the UK already are in demand, but like all Imprezas have suffered falling residuals due to oversupply.

Re the P1. Most people on this board consider it to be too expensive considering it an Sti5 Type R with a 'few' tweaks . While undeniably a better car for the UK than the former, it is not £10k better, which is the rough difference in their used values, for cars of the same vintage.

How much do you know about Type Rs? Are you aware of their short gearing and adjustable centre diff? They handle quite differently to other Imprezas, and can be quite tiring for long journeys (not to mention apalling on fuel). If you let us know how much you have to spend, we could give you more precise advice. Check out the FAQ at