Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To you who have a P1

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 06:05 PM
ScoobyWhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just what to ask you this: What do you think of the handling of your car and what do you think of is ride/comfort.

Thank you.
Old 10 July 2002, 06:12 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

I had a MY97 before the P1, I'd compare the harshness of the ride to be the same as that. Handling though, you wouldn't believe the 2 cars share the same name, it's a totally different beast
Old 10 July 2002, 06:33 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Had a MY00 before the P1.

Handling - normal driving, not much different. Spirited driving - fantastic, although having driven a MY01 I would admit that the chassis is a lot stiffer in the latter. This SHOULD have a beneficial effect, but to cut a long story short, I didn't think much of the overall MY01 handling (IMHO, of course)

Ride/Comfort - low speed, a bit harsher I believe. Almost certainly a combination of stiffer springs, harder shocks and low profile tyres. Medium-high speed, probably this is the best feature of the P1 (apart from the power!) - its just totally tuned for the average UK A and B road. You see a pothole/rough surface ahead, get ready for the crash, chassis flex etc, and it just sails over it. It doesn't roll on sharp bends; it doesn't wallow on long bends; it just ... well it just ... rides

Why do you ask?
Old 10 July 2002, 07:41 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Handling is as good as it gets, altho alot of movement in the middle of the steering wheel you can pick your cornering line down to the bit of gravel.

Ride / Comfort - Its probably the best characteristic, even on a 7 hour drive the seats are great and i don't feel my teeth are lose like in an Evo.

Simply put, its 99% of an evo that you can live with every single day, even in traffic.

p.s. The aucostic beast roaring is the best bit putting any car to shame for the price tag
Old 10 July 2002, 11:44 PM
CJ P1
Scooby Regular

I agree with what's already been said. The Evo is probably very slightly quicker but is a far harsher ride. Use a tenth of the performance of either on the road and you won't keep your licence long. What you lose in speed you save in loose fillings and osteopath's bills
Old 11 July 2002, 10:49 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Agree entirely with Martins comments. Personally I think the ride is noticably stiffer/harsher than the 98 we previouly ran but is not intrusive and still provides a comfortable ride.

Compared to a standard bugeye, it's simply a world away. Against the new Sti, (having run my standard test road), to match the P1 I was up and down the box more frequently than a hotel lift a breakfast time and it still rolled like a jelly through the kinks!

To an extent that may be the result of my limited abilities but IMO the P1 is yet to be bettered.

Old 11 July 2002, 11:42 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Matt,
Now you have the P1, have you seen the thread in the Southern section about a track day on the 23rd July?
Not far from you.

Was it your car that got used for the lineup at Chapplegates in the end? I think I have a couple of piccies of it somewhere...
Rich
Old 11 July 2002, 11:55 AM
Matt Dowding
Scooby Regular

Rich,

Yeah, it was my Cat at the Chapelgate STi launch. Sorry I missed you. I'll see if I'm free for the trackday, although I'll probably just watch this time. Would be nice to meet everyone!

Wasn't sure I was doing the right thing in getting rid of the Cat, but I sold it to a mate who's loving it and I'm really pleased with the P1 .

Matt
Old 11 July 2002, 01:59 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt,

glad you are enjoying the car m8

Ian
(Now with PD150 golf and Westfield XTR2)
Old 11 July 2002, 02:34 PM
Matt Dowding
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian,

Any news on the driving lamp?

Matt
Old 11 July 2002, 04:27 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had a MY98 before with Eibach springs which was great! but the P1 I have now is far stiffer again, and holds the road much better. Not a problem for me but some passengers have commented on the ride, but only through towns etc.. As for the performance, you would never believe it was basically the same engine!!
Old 11 July 2002, 05:17 PM
SCOOBERATORS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

From what everyone has been saying it almost raps it all up apart from one thing (Just buy one)
Old 11 July 2002, 05:57 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Smile

i agree with what everyones already said, i had a my97, tried a couple of lancer evo 6's, an rb5 wr and settled for the p1, the lancers had the performance, the rb5 the sound and looks, the p1 has it all
mark
Old 07 November 2002, 09:14 AM
Matt Dowding
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Only had my P1 for a couple of weeks but I am amazed how much better the handling is compared to my previous MY97 Catalunya, especially now I'm gaining more confidence in what the P1 can do. I used to think the Cat was pretty special in the handling department, but the P1 just moves the game to a whole new level IMHO, although I suppose this could be partly the excitement of having a new car!

Editted to add that the ride/comfort on normal driving is very good. Firmer than a standard Turbo but not harsh, even with 18" wheels.

Matt

[Edited by Matt Dowding - 7/11/2002 9:18:48 AM]