Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plod and Speed Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2001, 12:04 AM
ca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by polarbearit:
<B>I think that fixed penalties are £60 now. We need higher speed limits on motorways/fast roads, I have no problem with cameras in front of schools or in other areas where speed is genuninely a major cause of accidents, but placing them in revenue generating positions amounts to nothing less than a further tax on motoring (as if we don't pay enough already!).

Grrr[/quote]

Polarbearit,

I agree entirely with what you say. Speed camera's are used for revenue pure and simple.

When they were introduced back in 1992 the authorities said thaty would ONLY be used at accident blackspots. Yeah right!

C
Old 06 June 2001, 08:28 AM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Mate...the average speed in London is 15mph...so you certainly don't need a scoob!!

Rich
Old 06 June 2001, 09:03 AM
BryanC
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

At an avergage of £40 for a fixed penalty, that £200 million equates to 5 million fines... 5 million motorists receiving points?!?

Can't the goverment work out that this is only a finite pool to tap for cash? Once we've all been banned (and by we, I don't just mean the performance car population) they can't make any more money out of us, and they'll probably get lynched in their beds!

Old 06 June 2001, 09:38 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

The most appaling thing is that the Police are declining to do anything about the root problem. If after installing all these stealth devices they are still getting 1 million FPNs a year then speed traps are not working are they!
They shouldn't be putting more of the bloody things up, they should be re-investing the cash earned to re-educate road users and update this ancient, outdated and inadequate road system.

Neil.
Old 06 June 2001, 09:56 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

I personally think that the whole situation will get out of hand eventually. What percentage of the driving population have to have points to eventually make people realise they have voted some anti-motorist w*****s into power and then re-elected them with a greater majority (so they can do what they like with impunity).

Also, how will insurance companies be able to say you're a greater risk because you have 6 points on your licence when a large percentage have 6 points. When, say, 50% of the driving population have points on their licence, I doubt premiums will go down, the money grabbing insurance companies will just add a few more billion to their already huge profits.

If you are a motorist - do NOT vote labour tomorrow.
Old 06 June 2001, 09:58 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I think that fixed penalties are £60 now. We need higher speed limits on motorways/fast roads, I have no problem with cameras in front of schools or in other areas where speed is genuninely a major cause of accidents, but placing them in revenue generating positions amounts to nothing less than a further tax on motoring (as if we don't pay enough already!).

Grrr
Old 06 June 2001, 12:56 PM
marktortolano
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

See -http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1370000/1370557.stm

Some edited highlights:

"About one million fixed penalty speeding notices, containing a notice to prosecute or a demand for £60, are issued each year, the AA says.

New rules due to be implemented this summer, will see thousands more speed cameras on the roads.

Police forces will be allowed to keep the money generated from fines, instead of funds going to the Treasury.

Police forces expect to receive £200m a year from the initiative."

--------------------

OK, so if there are currently 1 million £60 fines issued a year, that's £60m revenue. (I know the article said not all the 1 million issued are fines, some are notices of prosecution).

If Plod is going to get £200 million (200 million quid!!!) a year from the fines, that means there's going to be more than triple the number of fixed penalty notices getting issued.

Is anyone in this country _not_ going to be banned the way things are going? Am I going to have a Gatso on my driveway? Should we sell up and get Sinclair C5s? Jesus.

Mark