ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

first drive in a scooby

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2002, 11:48 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

not as fast as i thought people said they were, uk2000 turbo cheep feel, but did like the bulge and it felt very precise in terms of drive

Within a week, realised the handling also was not as good as I had been lead to believe (under steer) bump mod sorted that out though

[Edited by catflap - 7/4/2002 11:44:26 AM]
Old 03 July 2002, 11:36 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

had mine a few years and the first time i drove one or even got in one was when i was driving away from the dutch dealer wasn`t sure what to expect but the first impression i got was of the bonnet bulge it really made me feel that i was in something very special and different

what were your first impressions
Old 03 July 2002, 11:47 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

how well it handles compared with my old cossie
Old 03 July 2002, 11:48 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

I went for a test drive only a year ago, allways had company diesel cars until then.

Dealer drove my 99 uk turbo (PPP) up the road, stopped and we changed places, drove like a learner for a couple of miles then I said "any speed cameras here?", he replied "no, not for a few miles", that was it...Jeeeeeeesssus I couldnt believe the acceleration !

Slow by todays standard!

I will NEVER forget that day...Oh and I bought it.

MD.
Old 04 July 2002, 12:04 AM
normarker
Scooby Regular

Catflap
Sorry to hear about your"bum mod"
Hope it didn't hurt too much!
Old 04 July 2002, 04:32 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

I got followed by the 'fuzz' for the first 2 miles of my first scooby test drive! Then, while struggling to keep to 30mph, realised I hadn't taken the 'Full service history' sticker off the windscreen
The initial impression was the feeling of being 'propelled' rather than pulled along by the car.

J
Old 04 July 2002, 04:59 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

OMG that bonnet scoop is huge

I test drove a W plate 2000 classic then the RB5 and my grin went from big to bigger.
Old 04 July 2002, 09:15 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first thoughts... too slow... after all the hype expected something different...

oh and fking indicators...

David MY94
Old 04 July 2002, 09:50 AM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

first though was that I let my wife test drive it first. When I noticed that she was seriously breaking the speed limit (a first for her) I realised that this was good, very good indeed that even a usual scaredy cat was having fun.

Then I got my go, wooooooooooooooooooooooossssshhhhhhhhhh
Old 04 July 2002, 10:07 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Booted it in second, OMFG, **** me it was quick. On this stretch of road I would normally be in third before I had to brake. In the scoob I didn't have time even think about changing up before the corner came upon me. Then I tried to brake....god the brakes were sh*te!! The speed I could handle, but the crap brakes scared the hell out of me.

MY98 Wagon
Old 04 July 2002, 10:12 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

likewise hadn't had much exposure to the car before getting mine delivered

also thought the bulge on the bonnet was pretty cool

apart from that though was a little disappointed - first with the lack of oommph in 1st and 2nd (compared with my non-modded Pug 106 GTI!!!), and second with the excessive body roll (MY02 WRX)

I do just love the experience as a whole though - it's a *****-out car thats for sure
Old 04 July 2002, 10:20 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Any car without a bulge on the bonnet looks wrong now!

My first drive was after the salesmans scared the sh*t out of me by doing a four wheel slide around a roundabout at about 70 in a 30mph zone at rush hour. I was not impressed with him and proceeded to drive the car at no more than 50mph all the way home...still, I loved it Salesman didn't last long either...

seem to remember there was an interesting moment when I managed to turn the lights off and couldn't figure out how to get them back on again..

Loved the first drive in my first scoob though...that push in the back just makes you smile
Old 05 July 2002, 03:02 PM
SDUKES
Scooby Regular

Cool

Absolutly love my WRX, only had it 3 months after owning some nice cars but had to use a company ford fungus.. made a long detour just to return this gutless piece of plastic to return to a real driving delight. ot impressed by many cars now i've been driving this 'flying machine' also love the way other drivers do a double take in their mirrors to get out the way, something i was doing in my sh*te fungus when buzzed by scoobs in cardiff. (1 buttermilk yellow one and 2 x p1)
ps. the bloody indicators are on the wrong side in all the other cars not the scoob!
Old 05 July 2002, 03:10 PM
tomstickland
Scooby Newbie

With a new car the first days are always the best. Then after that you get used to the speed and start to discover shortcomings. Then you (hopefully) learn to appreciate it for what it is.
Old 05 July 2002, 03:16 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

My first ever time in a scoob was when a test drove a STi Type RA.
Dealer took me to the bottom of a big hill and told me to put the foot down.
Holy ****, i was nearly blown away at the acceleration up hill, needless to say I quickly departed less a few pennies and driving my first scoob.
Old 05 July 2002, 05:20 PM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

from the first time i drove my MY95 WRX (slightly tweaked ) and I've now had it 2 1/2 years and i still get the same kick out of driving it everyday and the same

Jo

a very HAPPY Scooby owner
Old 05 July 2002, 10:01 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

First testdrive was a McRae special. Felt really quick but kept on indicating with the wipers.

Didn't buy as the dealer had "failed" to notice that it had had a new rear quarter. I got suspicious and walked away.

Second drive was in a STI7. Now this was quick! My only problem was how to convince the pregnant wife that we needed one more than a double buggy.

Easy.....borrow a STI7 for the weekend and by Monday morning she's bound to love it.

That is what I did, she loves it and I now own a STI7!

PS Lucky that she did as I'd paid the deposit!....Phew
Old 05 July 2002, 10:19 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

the firsy drive was a 95 wrx, and i could'nt get the seatbelt on fast enough. unfortunatley the idiot driving the car didn't realize this and kept gunning anyway. i dcould not pull the belt due to the inertia lock, and the fact it was full stem ahead.this is being eritten on my iPaq dfrom the hospital bed, legs mashed, ribs smmashed, 12 mnths of phzio.

the moral of the story is:
if you get in a car with sumone u dont know belt up.
Old 05 July 2002, 10:26 PM
saxovts2000
Scooby Regular

Talking

UK Turbo 98YM with a scoobybox........wow still living the moment!! lol Must sell Saxo to buy I couldn't believe how quickly it went and how much of a kick it has. I went for the test drive think that after 4 years of wanting one I'm going to be let down by it all BOY was I WRONG
Old 05 July 2002, 11:08 PM
Jon743
Scooby Regular

First go was in an sti v3. Dealer pulled on the the road and booted it. I think my response was f**k me and a large grin appeared on my face. 2 weeks later it is sitting in my garage and i still have a large smile.
Old 05 July 2002, 11:33 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

its got to be the bonnet scoop, when you sit in the car for the first time. That, and the sound of the turbo. Especially like me, that had never driven a turbo'd car before.

Oh, and the feel of the seats, straight backed and hugging.

i liked the test drive so much, i bourght the car.
i can't imagine ever owning any other car except a scooby now.

Kevin
Old 06 July 2002, 02:03 AM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

mj, is that for real?

If it is then I feel very sorry for you.

MD.
Old 06 July 2002, 12:19 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

Talking

WASNT OVER IMPRESSED WITH MINE 1ST TIME ROUND[UKPPP99]AFTER READING ALL THE HIPE.BUT NOW IF I DRIVE ANOTHER FAST CAR IT BRINGS HOME WHAT A SPECIAL CAR THE SCOOBY REALLY IS! IM USED TO THE POWER NOW AND SOMETIMES YOU CRAVE MORE BECAUSE IT IS SO CAPABLE.IT GETS BETTER THE FASTER YOU DRIVE IT AND LARGER SMILES AS WELL
Old 06 July 2002, 12:45 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

mole's,

no, i made it up to see if anyone was bothered, it seems your'e the only one out there with any compassion.

In truth, the guy who took me out in the WRX WAS an absolute nutter,I think it could have happened easily, as his high speed manouvres were carried of I think, with luck more than judgement.

I promise not tell any more fibs, you may not beleive me next time.

I didn't buy the car anyway, I felt the way he drove it spoke volumes about the car's past history.

Ta,

mj
Old 06 July 2002, 03:12 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Just finished working for my previous company, and was pondering what to get as my company car with the new firm. This was back in January 1996.

At first, I was thinking Rover 220 Turbo Coupe, but they'd just been end of lifed.

I then thought of the Scooby, and went to my local dealer for a test drive. I turned up on a Wednesday afternoon, and was told I could have an hour with the car now, or take it for the whole weekend if I came back on Friday afternoon.

Well, what a weekend. I was grinning from ear to ear right from the word go. I just knew it was the car for me.

That's the main reason why I'm about to buy another one.

Andy.
Old 06 July 2002, 08:55 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

My very first impression was on a test drive. Drive started in the city traffic. Car was MY97 wagon (pre-facelifted interior) and just looked and felt very much like any other Japanese car of same size, except for the IC air scoop. That feeling lasted until I got out of the city to an open road and floored it. The sound of the turbo spooling up and the big rush of power shortly after... That was definitely the moment when I made my decision to get one.

The worst thing was having to wait almost 5 months from that test drive until I finally got the new car (MY99). But it was well worth the wait.

Now driving MY02 WRX. I did seriously consider other options like Seat Leon 20VT4 but in the end the scoob still won.
Old 07 July 2002, 10:48 AM
WRX Baker
Scooby Regular

Wink

Love my WRX Jap import best car i've ever owned/ driven. Still puts a big smile on my face, Looks good, sounds good and goes like ****!!!! Get a bit pi$$ed of with silly boys in there nova's trying to race me though.