Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT CAN YOU HELP ? (Re : Driving License)

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2002, 08:24 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

OK, to cut a long story short, I got pulled over on Sunday morning for speeding (I know but we all do it) Was given seven days to produce my driving licence, insurance details etc. The problem is I can't find my driving license ANYWHERE

SO, I go to the police station tonight and the officer says I have to go to court if I can't find it within seven days [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

One simple phone call to the DVLA would confirm I have a licence - are the courts not clogged up enough ?

So, is it a visit to the court or is there a way round this nonsense

Oh, and before any of you jump on your high horse and give me all the crap about how I shouldn't have been speeding, etc - I know. But everyone has gone over the speed limit. (Rant over )

Thanks for any useful advice

Matt

[Edited by Terzo 333 - 7/2/2002 8:26:04 PM]
Old 02 July 2002, 08:36 PM
teambwr47
Scooby Regular

You need to go to the police station and be a very nice helpful person and ask for an extension on the production of your driving licence and fully explain the circs while being very calm cool and collected!!!.
Will help if you can show loads of other docs etc to show that you have insurance etc usually a good sign that a person hsa a valid licence and tell them the new one is on the way.
If you provided the insurance with your driving licence number try to get that and take it with
Get on to DVLA and push a replacement as quick as you can!
The other thing you can try is to get the name of the officer who stopped you and telephone him and fully explain the circs. His name will be somewhere near the bottom of the ticket. Again the key is to allways be very very very nice!!!
So long as you were ok to him at the roadside you could ask to see him and show him the car etc and docs and say you promise to produce to him!!
Depending on what force was involved it is the officer who stopped you who puts the file in about you. Therefore if you can persuade him that you intend to pay once the hiccup is over etc etc etc it may work.
At the end of the day its just a telephone call and it may work.
Good luck
Old 02 July 2002, 08:39 PM
teambwr47
Scooby Regular

In addition to the above you have seven days so use them all!!
Then go in and plead as above.
Contact the officer who stopped you ASAP!!!!!
Old 02 July 2002, 08:44 PM
snarly
Scooby Regular

Don't sweat this. it happens alot in london. just get your licence and reproduce once the new licence arrives at the station. make sure you get the HORT/2 reference number from your intial docs production so it can be cross referenced. that should be it sorted.
Old 02 July 2002, 08:50 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

go when I was stopped driving a swiss reistered car here in the UK.

I was unable like you to produce my licence. I was reported for the offence but the nice plod told me that the police will check anyway with Swansea and get a printout of your licence. Provided of course and I am sure that you have a licence, the matter is dropped. The law states that it is suffice to prove that you have a licence to driver and for the class of vehicle that you were driving.

Suffice to say I never heard anymore from the police or the courts.
Old 02 July 2002, 08:53 PM
teambwr47
Scooby Regular

Sort of agree with that one except that if the officer who stopped you is a **** hot paperwork fiend he may start of the submission of a file as soon has he has the Hort/2 returned and got a yes/no on whether you have a lic from DVLA
The differnce in the Met is that they have whole depts who sort out the files for the officers where as down here or certainly in Wales its still down to the officer who stopped you to put the file in.
Have seen cases in court where the person has tried to say later that they had ai licence and went to the knick etc. but the whole ticket system is set up for you pay within 28 days and produce in 7 otherwise its court.
If you go to the police station weeks down the line having not attempted to do anything about you may just be told "sorry see you in court"
Old 02 July 2002, 08:59 PM
snarly
Scooby Regular

May be more probelmatic in the counties but worse case produce it at court and together with CPS evidence of the DVLA print you shouldn't even go before the bench,waist of time to do so. i don't think i habe ever seen anyone prosecuted for non production even at that late stage. good luck.
Old 02 July 2002, 09:16 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

had this problem once and unfortunatly they made me go to court went before the judge showed him my drivers licence and explained the reason i didn`t have the licence

the judge gives me a lecture about looking after my licence and then said dont do it again and then let me off

oh by the way if you hadn`t been speeding you wouln`t of had this problem LOL
Old 02 July 2002, 09:28 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies

X SOOBY, you said you ended up going to court - so what exactly happened, did they put court costs on aswell, name in paper etc ??

Teambwr - thanks for the advice - I was very polite at the time of incident, and in station, but I never thought of asking for an extension.

I think I will go on the seventh day, say I can't find me license. If they make an appointment for the court (officer thinks it will take up to 3 weeks) and I get my license before court date, I will then go back to station and say "look I've got it, no point going to court" and prey the officer agrees with me !!!

Our judicial system really really p1sses me off though [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks again

Matt
Old 02 July 2002, 10:20 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Got done a few years ago and produced license etc, and ended up with standard 3 points and £40 fine. Then stupidly got done 2 weeks later. Of course I could not produce the license because it had already been sent away to be endorsed for the previous offence. You do not need to go to court, they can do it all in your absence. It took 6 months to sort the 2nd one out, and I ended up with 4 points and £190 fine. If the bloody DVLA weren't so slow, I could have saved £150 and 1 point.
Right, that's my rant of the day over with.
Old 03 July 2002, 12:04 AM
BKS
Scooby Regular

terzo,

i agree with mark, i got pulled and my licence had been stolen over a year ago but was too tight to get a new one. Got swansea to fax a copy to the plod shop and there was no worries.

(Also, two of my mates are plods (the good type!!) and they reckoned that would be fine)

Old 03 July 2002, 01:02 AM
Little Miss WRX

Angry

This is a wierd one.

I needed to send my license off to tbe DVLA to get some points endorsed, I was awaiting the return of my license from said organisation - DVLA. I managed to just get it sent on time, but now they are claiming I didn't, despite returning my license with the points endorsed

I intend to appeal, because I did send it back within the set time [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 July 2002, 07:10 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Terzo, i am forever mislaying my license
When ever i have been to the police station to produce i have been told the same thing...
The HORT (SP) book is checked once it has been filled up, any missing parts are then followed up, this can be months if youre producer is at the front of the book.
What happens then is that the station who have the outstanding documents have to contact the DVLA to find out if the missing license/entitlements were in place at the time of the so-called offence (i know its not an offence to be pulled over!)
Th reason they do this is so that they dont have to waste time taking people to court who have valid licenses.
The othere reason i know this is that i was once pulled over whilst driving with no MOT, i produced my documents and said that i could not find the MOT, i never actually went back to the station and four months later i got a court summons through in the post.
When i asked why it had taken so long to contact me i was told as above........
Can you imagine how many unnecessary court dates would be thrown out if they held a hearing for every person who has mislaid/lost their license!!!!!!!
Rob
there are other reasons why i know this info but.......
Old 03 July 2002, 02:22 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Matt you're a pillock, driving around at an excessive speed without a licence. You deserve everything they throw at you!

Wouldn't find me doing that sort of thing.

But, erm... A very close friend of mine had the misfortune to be travelling the Yorkshire motorway network a rate marginally less than three figs when stopped. He informed the officers that he had applied for a new photolicence and that DVLC had his documents. He was advised that where a licence cannot be produced the speeding case automatically reverts to court.

As said above, on the seventh day etc. Action on failure to produce is at the discretion of the officer, if you conducted yourself in an appropriate manner it's unlkely anything will happen. But get a replacement, they won't endorse a faximile. It took three months for the case to get to court ample time.

Presuming you were less that 30mph over the limit. Your statement to the court should emphasise that the case would normally have been dealt with by a Fixed Penalty. Also speak to the Clerk of the Court (a very nice lady at Selby) and ask if she will advise the magistrate of the details. Three points, £60 and no court costs I understand

B
Old 03 July 2002, 02:38 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Right go to post office get d1 a d750 2 passport photos fill it in and send to this lady with covering letter explaining your prob you should get your license back within 3 days
Karen Joseph
POL7 D3
D.V.L.A
Swansea
SA6 7JL

She is the manager of driving liceses

Hope this helps
Jonathan
Old 03 July 2002, 02:42 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

My license got stolen out of my sisters car once, the police cought the kid who stole it because he used it when the police stopped him in a stolen car a few weeks later, they showed it to me to prove it was mine then took it in evidence, I never got it back and even though I tried many times and spoke to many people they denied all knowledge of having it and there was no record of them having it as evidence either, also the copper that took it had moved to another station and they could not track him down even though both them and I new which station he had gone to.
Old 03 July 2002, 02:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

So what did you do????? You can't tell us a story like that and leave off the ending............It's not on monkey.
Old 03 July 2002, 03:38 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

I've had this twice in six months.

The first was when I got stopped as a routine check (dodgy geezer in a saff cossie ) and I got a producer. The licence hadn't been returned after it had last been taken away to be endorsed, and I had to ask the copper at the station to grant me an extension to get the licence re-issued. Because the old licence was paper, I then had to apply for a photocard licence, and this is where the confusion lay. If you ask nicely, you may well be okay.

Second time was the complete opposite. Took all docs in, and I then got a letter saying I hadn't produced my driving licence. A few months later, I recieved a court letter, and warrant for my arrest (?). Had to fight it out with tons of paperwork. Moral of the story - get a reciept when handing your docs in at the cop shop.