Sponsored by:

Brush with the law...

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2001, 10:51 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have never had any hassle from the rozzers before but this took the p**s!

Driving home through a 30 zone, at about 35, car with 2 guys in it pulls out in front of me. (witnessed by local scoob driver!) I gave him the arms in the air, as if to say thanks.

The return gesture was one of slow down. followed him at a safe distance onto a 40 mpg dual carriageway which was empty for as far as I could see so I pulled out and overtook, pretty quickly but nowhere near him. Pulled back in to the left into a filter lane where the light were red and he pulls up moments later on my right. I didn't think much of at this point but heard voices shouting at me. Looked round and the two blokes were holding up their rozzer badges!

"We've just left the station, you calm your bloody driving down!"

"What, I was driving safely?!"

"No you weren't, theres a speed limit on this road, so obey it"

"Er are you on duty?"

Hesitation..
"Dont argue or you'll get a summons!"

Now I noticed straight away they were plain clothed and they admitted they had left work. Who the f**k do these tossers think they are? Off duty, they have as much right to enforce the law as I do! The fact that i'd noticed this must have angered them hence the threat. Also I think they expected me to be scared. I decided to cease this argument and turn away as they were obviously power hungry ***** - and may have called their mates back at the station.

This is the second time this has happened. The other time I was with a friend and we were chased by an off duty copper, he dangerously overtook lanes of traffic to get along side and display his badge, to then lecture the driver about using a mobile in a car being unsafe! I actually called the police on this one and he backed down - flippin loony.

Does anyone know if they can do this? I think they are so power happy sometimes they just love trying to use it whenever. Makes me so fu**ing angry.

Old 30 May 2001, 10:59 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Angry

tell em to go **** emselves......or get there numbers and report em mate........
Old 30 May 2001, 11:02 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Next time it happens ask for the officers name, badge number and his inspector's name. Report it to the inspector and tell him you are thinking about lodging an official complaint against the officer.

Don't let them bully you!

C
Old 30 May 2001, 11:06 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks CA,

Good advice might do it in the morning to cover my ****.

Good idea too Rich!

MB (still angry )

[This message has been edited by bennetm (edited 30 May 2001).]
Old 30 May 2001, 11:14 PM
satori
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong but if I recall the police are always on duty! I had mate he joined the force a few years back and I can remember him saying something along those lines, just before he turned into ****! I would that guess that we all actually have the power to pull people up if we were inclined to and threaten a citzens arrest or something
Old 30 May 2001, 11:20 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Cool

Easy,

Lets be balanced about this. You are right some coppers are tossers and are on one big power trip.

But a large amount are not. You might find the coppers who thought you were driving dangerously might have just pulled some a dead body out of a crashed car are some other extreme experiance. There are 2 sides to everything.

Don't forget.... if your beloved motor gets nicked.... What's your first phone call !

[This message has been edited by vmax (edited 30 May 2001).]
Old 30 May 2001, 11:42 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Vmax,

Good point.

To be fair all but these rozzers I have met have been ok.
I was going in a straight line on an empty 2 lane road though! I think it was a combination of them pulling out, and me giving a visual acknowledgement, me overtaking them (harmlessly) and the fact that they though they would try and upstage a youngster for doing so. Also the big rear wing made them feel insecure.

If my motor gets nicked, I call Tracker!!

MB
Old 30 May 2001, 11:58 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh, nothing like the smell of Bacon (Not!)

Why don't these guys go and hassle the real criminals etc
Old 31 May 2001, 12:20 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

A lot of good comments on here but regarding respect, I have no respect whatsoever for someone absuing their power in this way. Giving them respect is the easy way out and in this case I chose it, but we shouldn't have to be bullied. These guys were probably fairly low down and a bit insecure.

Ron, yep, I was driving safely I just think they got the hump. I could understand if I took a run up, and cut in on them etc..

Had they been in uniform I would have had no complaints about a ticket, and would have accepted it. hey really are giving the good ons a bad name.

Astraboy, they are doing their job, but I don't try and do mine outide work hours, that for mugs! PS wish i'd had nitrous!

Weaver, thats the same as my second incident it proves they are in the wrong as when they're challenged they back down.

Ta for the comments everyone, keep the "experiences" coming

MB
Old 31 May 2001, 08:07 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

On or off duty, a power crazy, picked on at school little hitler will be the same.

Great to see people defend them, persoanlly I have NEVER met a decent copper, and thus have no respect for them. The closest I came was the marked impreza driver that did a speech/lecture at one of the meets in Kendal, but even he was a smug ****! (especially after he had been proved wrong about laser detectors detecting his non-detectable laser gun )

And Vmax, your first call might be to the Police - but what will they do? Take details, enter them on their system, then go back to hiding behind bushes trying to nick you for doing 45 on a 40mph dual carriageway

A murdering rapist having just robbed a bank while armed stands a 500% greater chance of being caught if he (or she) speeds away from the scene!

Bennetm, your experience last night was one of the main contributing factors of my selling my scoob

Good advice about their badge numbers - but just ask for the number, that will do the trick. If you complain, just get ready for victimisation I complained to the Lancs Chief Constable about a marked police car 'goading' me into speeding/racing and driving very dangerously in the process. My complaint was acknowledged, but nothing ever happened - except everytime I left my house for the following two weeks, there miraculously seemed to be a police car going the same way just behind me
Old 31 May 2001, 08:21 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by vmax:
<B>Lets be balanced about this ..... might have just pulled some a dead body out of a crashed car are some other extreme experiance.[/quote]

And maybe bennetm was a doctor who had just finished an 18hour shift in A&E trying to stitch together a motorcyclist who had run into the side of a car that had pulled out onto a main road without looking.

There are indeed 2 sides to everything!

Controvertially,

mb
Old 31 May 2001, 09:05 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

I understand your gripe. However, that is why a Police officer is required to carry his warrant card at all times, because he simply is not off duty at any point.

Yes, they may not attempt an arrest, but they can call for another unit to come and deal with you...sadly there would of been two serving Police officers words against yours.

My friend is in Thames Valley Traffic and last week we were dangerously cut up whilst on the back of his bike...he let them continue but pulled over, called the control room and informed them of what they were doing. His point was, he was on his personal insurance and he had no lights sirens to alert people that he would of been persuing....Its all about not trying to be a hero. But its safe to say, if they did get caught up with he would stand up in court and give evidence against them. Idiots.

You sound like you were driving safely, and to be honest they could not of done you for speeding due to lack of calibration etc etc. Personally I would not complain, because that makes you and your car marked as a trouble maker.

Ron
Old 31 May 2001, 09:34 AM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Question

Has anyone else had mates join the coppers?

I was just wondering cos I know a couple of people who have and now a few years down the line I cannot even bear to be in their company because they are such smug, annoying @rseholes !

Just wondering........

I had much the same experience on the M40 about 3 years ago.

I was in the third lane making good progress and this guy in a Vectra came racing up behind me flashing his lights etc. I thought that there was something wrong with my car so slowed and pulled into the middle lane. He came along side and started waving his warrant card and gestured for me to pull over. So not knowing what was going on I did. He came racing up to me and started going mental. when I asked if he was off duty he, of course was he even had his young son in the car!!! He kept asking if I was going to heed his warning, after he pulled be over on the hard shoulder! Eventually he stormed off cos I made it very clear there was no way I was heeding the warning of someone who stopped me like that in such a dangerous place!
Old 31 May 2001, 10:10 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

The two sides of the story are very true, and I've been "making good progress" (thanks weaver) for the last 12 years, without ever having a speeding ticket.

I've have several other experiences,though, and they all ended up without problems, even though the officers have EVERY right to fill up fines.

1) I was in a hurry to get to the bank. The tramway was empty, and the traffic lane was full (Forbidden traffic on the tramway lane). SO, I change to the tramway lane, going over a non overtaking area, and when I get to the top of the street, I pull my handbreak to turn around. Imagine my surprise, because at the moment I pull the handbreak, a police car comes out of behind the tramway stop... I started talking to the guy (very politely, of course), and after I made him laugh a bit, he picks my documents from his partner's hand, and say: " Next time, try not to do this in front of the police", and drives away

2) I've been caught without any documents on me about 3 or 4 times (keep forgetting my wallet), and after a little time chatting of this and that, they just keep sending me home... No questions asked, not even having top resent my documents at the station later.

3) Coming over a hill, I see a police car on the opposite side, checking speed. Of course, as soon as I go over the hill, I start signaling people coming the other way (Do you guys do this in GB ? ) How lucky can I get ? There was ANOTHER police car on the other side of the hill, on my side, waving me over . So, these guys had all the reasons to sue me, since you're only supposed to use light signals on a danger situation. Did they do it ? Nope... Another 5 min chat, and off I go ...

So, do I have reason to complain of the police ? No, I don't think so And you can't say it's portuguese cops, since all this happened in different countries (Portugal, Belgium, Luxembourg, France). It all depends on your attitude toward people. They are, after all, only human, and will respond (as most humans do) to agression (even attitudewise) with the same reaction. Respect has the same effect, but turns things to your side.

But I do admit some are power trippers (I have a cousin I can't stand because of just that, and he's the only police offices I know personally) and you should be carefull with those.
Old 31 May 2001, 10:13 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RonaldoH:
<B>Personally I would not complain, because that makes you and your car marked as a trouble maker.
[/quote]

Complain about them, and then complain about harrasment if you think they are trying it on. Usually by the third or fourth complaint they get the message that you are not prepared to take any **** and go and hassle someone else.

Disclaimer - I don't agree that all traffic branch are smug etc etc. I have a mate I met through biking. I didn't know what he did for a living. When I got the scoob he asked me to take him for a spin. He was encouraging more and more disrespect for the speed limits. (Three figures on well known B roads.) When I found out some time later that he was traffic branch I was crapping myself. He explained that he preferred a common sense approach to speed limits. He reckoned that both the car and my driving where well within capabilities. He said he had let big bikes and quick cars off with 120+ on motorways as long as they where being sensible, but had booked people for driving at 65 on A roads when the car wasn't up to much more. Seems fair enough to me!!!
Old 31 May 2001, 10:13 AM
bros
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of the experiences with policemen who were clearly out of order.

I know 2 serving policemen well, both bikers. One rides just as fast as I do and is in every way a normal guy, though very quiet on the subject of what job he does - he's sick of hving to justify it to people. Paranoid about being caught speeding though!

Another is a tactical weapons guy - cruises around with guns all day - and faces stuff you really wouldn't want to. Again, refreshingly normal (though he does seem to spend FAR too long polishing his bike rather than riding it), but won't talk about his job much.

I earn considerably more than both of these guys put together, yet don't have anywhere near the same level of stress. And I don't have to deal with blind prejudice from people who always think that the police are all evil bullies with a power complex.

Sure, there are people like that, but there are people like this in every job - you know, the ones who victimise secretaries, who play office political games. It's more apparent in the police force as they have real power and deal with the public rather than just internally as we do in most of our companies.

That said, idiot policemen should not be tolerated. If you come across a bad one, report them - if you don't, they'll carry on abusing their position of power. You may be a scared of the police, but that's as nothing compared to how scared THEY are of their own bosses.

Bros
Old 31 May 2001, 10:17 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

There's an acquaintance of mine who pulls people over pretending he's an off-duty policeman.

He thinks that he's clever. I think he's a ****.

By acquaintance, he was the boyfriend of a wife's friend. She's dumped him because, surprisingly, he's a ****.

Some police are fine, such as the guy who had a friendly chat with a friend with an Evo VI rather than ticket him. Others are swines, like the chap who ticketed same friend for 80 in a 70 - but I don't think the claim of "my speedo isn't working correctly" helped my mate much...

Nick.
Old 31 May 2001, 10:21 AM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

There is not such thing as a nice copper.
I have been pulled once only,why?cause he put the wrong reg plate doing his check and thought I had nicked the car.When I told him his mistake he then tried to do me for dangerous driving but as it was his word against mine he backed down.He gave me a producer and had to ask me where we were so he could fill in his form.
I think it was a case of a young bloke driving a decent car that cost more than a year of his wages...
Old 31 May 2001, 10:30 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

I have met one nice copper:
One night in my Westfield (prior to my Scooby), flashed past a copper at some road works while he was stopped at the lights. He reversed and followed me and pulled me over. He said he could he my loud exhaust asked how fast I was going. I said 'Sorry my exhaust is rather loud'. He did a vehicle check and let me go on my way. The next day I was in a rush and was driving my my bro's car from mates house to mine (1 mile), and didnt have a seatbelt on (silly). The same copper pulled me over and recognised me. Had a chat and he said that he should give me a fine, but said that to remember to wear it in future....tidy.
But there are others out there who do not have the same mentality which is a real shame.
Old 31 May 2001, 11:28 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Had one or two brushes myself...
The way to handle it (IMO) is to show em respect. Even if they don't deserve it.
My best "let off" was when I was at Guildford cruise a few months back.
I was in the 3-door and my m8 was in his 4x4 Cossie Saff. We had both got pole at the traffic lights outside the cruise and in full view of 20 coppers we pulled away in first and then went to second and nailed it up to 40. All perfectly legal but needless to say, my m8s exhaust is damn loud.
Anyway, we pull back into the cruise and immediatly a copper (or at least he will be when he gets a bit older ) points at me and tells me to pull over. I do so.
He then starts to go off on one, accusing me of wheelspinning off the lights. I just kept my cool and explained that it was a concours car, I wouldn't do such a thing in it and he must have confused the noise from my friends exhaust. Even though my m8 was going skitz in the passenger seat, he let me go. didnt even ask for my details.
Another time, we were up at South Mimms services waiting for a convoy to turn up. Needelss to say, the illuminous army were there once again, but this time the traffic were quite cool to the point that my mate offered to take the plod for a rip in his Evo 6!!! It was plain to see that he REALLY wanted to say yes, but he knew his job wouldn't allow it. So he had to refuse . Well it made me chuckle anyway.
If you make put your a model citizen and not some thug boy, 9 times out of 10 they will be cool. Just understand that they are doing their job and respect that and you should be cool.
astraboy the blagger
Old 31 May 2001, 12:10 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Angry

I considered a reasoned reply to this post, then realised that its all been said about these tossers before, so i'll simply post...

ACAB!

Nuff Said

Russ
Old 31 May 2001, 02:14 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was let off on my second day of driving aged 17 for doing 96 on the M3 by an Inspector in the Hants Traffic division in a DBM BMW 238i. He said, he would not like to have to call the coronor and tell my mum I was in a morgue because I was speeding.

If i could of bought him a drink, I would of.

A year later, I was then "done" for 35 in a 30 on a laser device. If I could of shot the guy, I would of.

After all, what goes around comes around.

Everyone of my mates, and also Anders friends Heath and Will (Herts CID officers) are top notch. I would not be embarrased to be around them or think they are smug, actually I think they deserve some praise once in a while.

Anders (who owns 22B.COM)was the first on the scene of the Faversham (In Kent) Coach crash, before any Police arrived or ambulances or Fire Brigades came, he was first in the coach to save a great deal of lives. (Anders is a doctor) He received the Kent Polices highest congressional medal of honour for rising his own life to save others and he said that there were Police crying and very distraught at the scene...proving that actually they are only human.

Bennet, I think however your car was the reason of the flagging down

Old 31 May 2001, 03:40 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

This gets raised from time to time. In order to stop you in your car the police are required to use a marked vehicle.

Also in order to report you for a traffic offence the officer must be in full uniform (there may be exceptions I'd have to do a bit of research though).

It could be construed that the 'officers' who were dealing with you were abusing their authority. It would be a matter for you to decide if a compaint were justified.

Naughty really. Job pissed probably.

regards
Old 31 May 2001, 03:59 PM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

suggest

Yes sir, Sorry sir, won't happen again sir.

You may find that they then reply with; - Well off the record what will she do? Where is she best? etc etc

This has happened to me. But not by off- duty officers - don't know the rules on that one.

Otherwise use the well know hand gesture, drop the clutch and drive over his toes.

I have also done this (Many Many years ago), feel better at the time but in the end they win...

..R

[This message has been edited by RVeiga (edited 31 May 2001).]
Old 31 May 2001, 04:56 PM
Sadman
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonHook
'This gets raised from time to time. In order to stop you in your car the police are required to use a marked vehicle.
Also in order to report you for a traffic offence the officer must be in full uniform (there may be exceptions I'd have to do a bit of research though).'

If this was the case I don't think there would be the huge volume of unmarked cars being used everywhere! I think you're right about them having to be in uniform though.

Old 31 May 2001, 05:45 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

BennetM,
If you really want nitro, Call Regal autosport in Southampton. 860 all in. Wikked fun.
Astraboy.
Old 31 May 2001, 06:51 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

I saw an "unmarked" car in London that had a small police badge on the door - maybe those are the unmarked cars that are allowed to pull you?
Old 31 May 2001, 06:59 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

It seems we are getting mixed up between an unmarked traffic car (i.e. blue lights hidden discretely behind grills etc..) and an unmakred CID-type car, and also a coppers private vehicle.

There is no way I would stop for some bloke waving a warrant card at me. If he was legally entitled to stop me he would have at his disposal the lights/sirens.

C
Old 31 May 2001, 07:15 PM
nigelm
Scooby Regular

I suspect that any copper can report any offence but without a callibrated speedo in the car it aint going anywhere. To do you full uniform must be worn including a hat, that's why the mc cops have a fold up cap to save them wearing their helmet all the time.
Old 31 May 2001, 07:32 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

Wink

You should only pull over if its unmarked, if its got its lights (blues) on,any one could drive by you waving a credit card at you and CAR JACK you.So beware. Rich

Quick Reply: Brush with the law...