Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100mph +, why not worried about police?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2001, 08:11 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having just spent 2hrs on the m4 i allways wonder about the people doing 100+.

i sat at 80-90 all the way and blended in with traffic (as much as a scoob will blend in!)

i figure id be unlucky to get pulled and real unlucky to face any points let alone ban.

so if you're one of the 100+ brigade are you not worried about police, the people who came buy me had no chance of spotting an unmarked car or a camera on a bridge.

so why/how so brave/mad?

tiggs
Old 01 June 2001, 09:15 PM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

I think the same as yourself.

It isn't worth driving at speeds where you would get an automatic ban.
Old 01 June 2001, 09:32 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Tend to travel at a similar speed to yourself mostly and do quite a bit of motorway daily, however on occasion, I have been know to drive faster on bits of road that I know don't have any fixed camera's and where visibility is good (I know I am still screwed if an unmarked car stops me). I have a collegue who like to go 140mph everywhere (quite quick, scary as a passenger) and he has never been nicked for silly speeds, but often told off and stopped. I really think it is down to luck and where you live, I use to live in Lancashire and that was a nightmare for being stopped (got pulled over at 75mph on a 70mph motorway).

I guess it is all about luck, maybe we need faster speed limits on the motorways.

Jon
Old 01 June 2001, 09:49 PM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Faster speed limits would be fine if people were more observant and left a decent gap from the vehicle in front, but they don't. I have seen so many accidents and near misses because of this.

A compulsory advanced driving test would help.

Neil.
Old 01 June 2001, 10:01 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Neil,

I would tend to agree, BUT, you can ignore and forget everything you have learnt for the test once you've passed it.

People who take pride in their driving etc leave more space and so on.

P.

(Shpulling)

[This message has been edited by Sith (edited 01 June 2001).]
Old 01 June 2001, 11:00 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Tiggs

Not that I'm saying that I drive over the speed limit of course - but I would not be worried about the police on bridges or on the police spots (roughly every 8-9 miles) on the hard shoulder

After being done on the motorway not too long ago going 90 on the motorway and getting zapped (I would not mind i'd done nearly 200 miles, was near home - had averaged about 75mph to save fuel and just let my eye off the speedo on the last junction)

Laser Jammer had to be fitted!

After a colleague was done doing 42 in a 30, the same as everyone else! - he's thinking of fitting one too... and I dont want to here about the legality or otherwise of these things

Oh.. and I keep a safe distance apart, unlike most nutters on the motorway (esp. in the wet)

Oh... and I do have an advanced driving test pass...
Old 01 June 2001, 11:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Same on the M40 (given light traffic which means outside rush-hour) - all cars doing 90mph(+/-20mph).

There are still prats, but do they get nicked????

mb

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2001, 11:34 PM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

tiggs
its all about observation and reading the road and traffic conditions!

steve
if you dont know the difference between 75 and 90 how did you pass your advanced?
Old 02 June 2001, 01:01 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Smallfin

And hence the reason why more people are using laser jammers - to keep one step ahead of the sc*m
Old 02 June 2001, 01:04 AM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

steve
are you sure they work from behind?
Old 02 June 2001, 12:20 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Cool

smallfin,

the people passing me at 100-115mph were not being observant- there was no way at all they would have time to see a mobile camera on a bridge or an unmarked. In fact at one point i slowed from 90ish to 80ish as there was an iffy looking omega 200yrds ahead, as i was wondering if it was police a bmw (typical!) came past at well over 100 (well over) and flew by the omega. at this point i assumed the omega was safe and went by at 85-90. no way could the bemmer tell if it was police or not at the speed ne closed in on it at.

anyway, my point is not that this is right or wrong or speed limits should change etc. i am just currious how these people who, at least in some cases, must depend on their car for work and yet run the risk of a ban.

tiggs
Old 02 June 2001, 12:39 PM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Steve, is the jammer any good, has it gone off and you have seen the p#@. Did you fit it. Got pulled last week 92 but he zapped me from behind, on the on ramp do you have a jammer on the back?
Old 02 June 2001, 12:47 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Sassman

Its the Snooper sld920

It works!

It has an on/off switch!

I'm looking into fitting a rear one - not me that fitted it - anyone with any nouse, preferably some electrical skills can do it

Cost of device £300 - should be about to get it fitted for under £50!

Mark

Obviously not....... does the speedo go that low on a Scoob? - All I notice is 100mph plus!
Old 02 June 2001, 12:55 PM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

tiggs
you got it right- you were alert!
the ones who speed blindly will get caught!
since the introduction of laser guns, its always worth slowing down at junctions becouse if you see them before you slow down then its to late, lasers are instant,
not like the old days when they had to pull out and follow you, and after all if youve got a scoob your back up to speed in a couple of secs!!
i do 55-60k miles a year mostley motorway
last time i got caught was 94 i reckon thats about 350,000 miles ago i must be the luckiest guy out there cos i dont stick to the limit but always drive to conditions/traffick