Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar detector - worth it? and which one?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2001, 10:24 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure this has been written about over and over again; but is it really worth getting one fitted?
Are they legal? Which one? Cost? Effective? Worthwhile?

Just bought a Scooby and getting used the speed quite quickly

Cheers
Old 29 May 2001, 11:02 AM
nevr
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jjk:
<B>Sure this has been written about over and over again; but is it really worth getting one fitted?
Are they legal? Which one? Cost? Effective? Worthwhile?

Just bought a Scooby and getting used the speed quite quickly

Cheers[/quote]

try the Bel euro 550 cost £320 if you mention SIDC bbs there was a thread about it some time ago, saved me a few times but picks up lots to give some sputious readings

Old 29 May 2001, 11:09 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by nevr:
<B> try the Bel euro 550 cost £320 if you mention SIDC bbs there was a thread about it some time ago, saved me a few times but picks up lots to give some sputious readings

[/quote]

Agree with the above - i got one.

Bit disapointed so far as ive seen every gatso so i wouldnt have got nicked anyway!!! But its interesting how many gatso's arent actually switched on. Ive found ive slowed done lots more - in built up areas it goes bizerk and you cant tell why!!!!

As toys go its disapointing as it may only save you once - and it doesnt do a lot if you dont drive by any traps!!!

If i had the choice again id do it tho.

Jza
Old 29 May 2001, 11:59 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If its gatsos your worried about the Geodesy is the dogs and its legal. It wont pick up speed traps though as it works by sat positionaing. Search for threads.
Phil
Old 30 May 2001, 09:05 AM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JJK,

I've a Bel 990 and it's awesome, hasn't failed yet to pick up gatsos, interesting to find how many are actually switched off!
Don't seem to have many false alarms around town unlike nevr and jza gets, just could be luck though.
Laser detection on any detector is no good because by the time you've heard the warning, highly likely you've been caught.

Geodesy sounds are very good but as Phil says it won't obviously pick up on mobile gatsos or Police handhelds.
A nice blend would be to buy a Geodesy and a decent detector.

I don't think the police can do a lot about banning Geodesy's units, and I hear there's delays in attempts to ban detectors.

Easy way is just not to speed but hey we're all human.

Cheers,

Rob.

Old 30 May 2001, 09:39 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I got "caught" on an empty dual carraigeway (40) at 11pm by a mobile Gatso and I'm sure I wasn't speeding. The NIP says 53mph.
I will now be purchasing some sort of device to help me become more aware and forewarned of upcoming accident blackspots; I mean that's what Gatsos are for aren't they?

Incidentally, I was told about an article on Top Gear where Tiffany Dell quoted a study which found that most of the people who invest in radar/laser detection devices tend to be the more aware and attentive drivers.

It's an old one, but I love it; speed doesn't kill, bad driving does.
When the Police/government start spending some of their dirty money on driver education to get rid of road rage and CLOG, I'll start to have some respect for speed traps.
Until then I'll continue to drive safely according to the road conditions and if necessary enhance my awareness with detection devices.

No flame suit on as I have bought a smoke detector as well.

Neil.
Old 30 May 2001, 10:14 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

Got a Bell Euro 550. As per others amazed how may are not live. Gradually plucking up the courage to drive a bit quicker (road conditions permitting of course) past those not live.

Yes you do get lots of strange alerts in town, but I just mute it cos you're mad to steam through town anyway. Where it comes into it's own is spotting those coppers lurking in a bush or on bridge on a nice stretch of road, geodesy won't help you there.
Old 30 May 2001, 12:22 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Wink

Snooper 815

Its the K9 Genetialer

Small Accurate

Can be Noisey around town but picks up lazer very well

Wouldn't go out without it

Snooper Lazer deflector also good but not legal

Hides perfectly on the front of MY01

The GPS system looks good though but if its lazer protection you want go for the deflector

Phil
Usual coments you shouldn't need one if you drive properly blah blah blah