Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Opinion of my new Sti

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2002, 10:18 AM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm trying to be as genuine as possible for anyone thinking of trading from a turbo to an Sti as I have.

Picked up the car yesterday (Sti non-pro drive WR blue) and the overall feeling of quality is just fantastic (maybe not a bmw, but to those of us used to the classic shape its just in another world). The stiffeness of the structure is what impressed most, everything feels so much tighter and the balance of the car is brilliant.

I really am trying not to let the excitement of a new car get to me, but after much debate concerning whether to change to the new model, following dubious press reviews (esp in WRX form) I am delighted to be able to report that in ALL areas the car is massively superior to my MY00 classic shape. Don't get me wrong, I loved my old turbo, but now I'm lucky enough to have the Sti all the shortcomings of the turbo, which I was previously oblivious to are now so obvious. My brother is awaiting delivery of his Sti (Tuesday) so I was able to drive my Sti around for an hour last night, then hop back into his MY00 turbo - it really did feel awful, it felt 'bendy', the interior was very old fashioned looking and all those bloody rattles.

I'm not slating the old model, just trying to report to those who are interested how the two cars line up. I must confess that performance wise I can't really comment yet as I've got to run it in, but I've little doubt it will be more than adequate, handling wise however the car is superb.

Only mod so far is to put STi mesh covers on, to get rid of some of the pink. I'll try and post a pic up later today.

Hope this post is helpful and REPEAT I am not trying to slag the Classic model off, I've owned and loved one for two years, but I just wanted to let anyone who is interested in the Sti that it is most definatley as good as you could ever wish it could be.

Regards Mark
Old 22 June 2002, 11:27 AM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Your views on the STi are exactly the same as mine were when I got mine 4 weeks ago. We also have a Turbo Wagon and can make a direct comparison. Like you say the build quality is a huge improvement and the handling balance is great. I just love throwing into roundabouts! Needless to say I am still over the moon with mine and have now had the 1000 mile service, so can gradually raise the rev limit and get some decent acceleration again. My only complaint is that it is too damn quiet, but I guess that is easily fixed.

Enjoy yourself!

Alan
Old 22 June 2002, 11:37 AM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alan....

I must admit its been a bit of a relief as I ordered in Feb, and since then have heard such mixed reviews. Enjoy also!
Old 22 June 2002, 12:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Told you so

It will take you a while to dial yourself into it, but will be worth it

Horrendous fuel consumption for the first couple of tankfuls, and will be tight/sluggish until 1500 miles or so - then the fun starts
Old 22 June 2002, 12:21 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Mine felt very tight for 3,000 miles

Now approaching 6,000 and it is getting better all the time.

Still not happy with gear selection though, which is very obstructive, especially 1st/2nd and if going down more than one gear at a time.

Old 22 June 2002, 12:24 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave.... that may well prove to be reassuring....

filled up last night..so I'll let people know long the first tank lasts for.

Must admit Dave that all you said was pretty much spot on... so glad I kept the faith
Old 22 June 2002, 03:02 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Mrdeli,

Mine s not here yet (2 weeks to go) but I have driven the Sti on 4 separate occasions, 3 of them being the Jap version (including the very car that got tested by Autocar some time ago) and once for the Type UK. I endorse everything you say about the quality, ride and torsional rigidity.

Took a bit of getting used to for the first few miles, then I got to the stage where I could not believe how quickly one could dash in and out of bends without engaging with the scenery! Like you, when I hopped back into my wagon it just did not feel as up to the job as the STi. That's saying something considering just how capable the classic shape car is.

The experiences pushed me into ordering one. There are a series of tweaks awaiting the beastie when she turns up. The first 1000 miles will be accomplished in a week (have already booked specific journeys to make this happen) and then its fun time.

Like you I will report my experiences on this forum when the car turns up. Hope it will help others to make their minds up.

Enjoy

WB

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2002, 04:51 PM
Pooder
Scooby Regular

Mrdeli
You have the same model and colour as me,agree with everything you say,I have done2100 miles now the 3rd and 4th gear acceleration is superb. I will be PPPing when it becmomes available will you?
Then I reckon this will be one of the festest A-B cars in the real world on the planet!!!
Old 22 June 2002, 06:45 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

I totally agree with whats been said.... glad I have not got any of the in-famous rear shocker rattle too...

I got the non-Prodrive version too as I think the front bumper is real pants. I know they tried to make it look like the WRC car but its a poor immo you have to admit... I'd rather put the cash to the PPP ... if it ever comes out.

My only mods have been clear side and repeaters, pink front grill badge and removal of that crap 'Type UK' badge at the back. New head unit on the way to replace the sub standard Subaru standard fit.

The car just gets better and better - now up to 1800 miles. Catches flies far better than my old MY96 too - that bad i have just had to hoover the intercooler !!!

Ids
Old 22 June 2002, 06:50 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Ive had my sti type uk prodrive for two weeks and I am also well
pleased.I first went from an import wrx to a new age wrx,but spent
my whole time trying to make it go faster.It never had the pace
to scare me.No such problems with the sti,once you tune yourself
in to the six speed box it flys,first time on my country lane run I scared myself to death.Hopefully It will be a while before I feel
the need for ppp(at least another two weeks anyway)
Old 22 June 2002, 07:59 PM
Ian236
Scooby Regular

Had my STi for about three months and still have not yet had anything like the full potential out of it - the chassis set up is amazing, I too fnd that the box is not very sweet and hope it will ease up in time after a few more miles on the clock - took in on the track and achieved 100 miles for £ 38.00 of Optimax is this a record - I had to be hit with a baseball bat afterwards to get the grin off my face!!

Enjoy.

Ian
Old 22 June 2002, 08:41 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Having owned a MY98,MY99,MY00 and now an STI 7 Prodrive Style, here's my opinion for what its worth.
I had my fist Impreza Turbo in October 1997, so have been driving them for almost 5 years.

My STI.
Its a lot slower at low revs, than my previous Imprezas, the term gutless springs to mind,but above 3500rpm things start moving pretty well.
The 6 speed gearbox allows the car to accelerate quicker than it would with a 5 speed, due to its lack of low down torque and power, at least from a standstill.
The brakes are very good. Much better than previous.
The suspensions very hard. Quite skitish on bumpy surfaces.
It looks,------ well it looks, and so do other people.
Nice colour.
Pretty quiet, which is pleasant for the time being, but may change
All in all, quite pleased, but miss the 2500rpm to 4000rpm train like pull of my older cars. However it more than makes up for it from 4000rpm to 6500rpm, but you feel like you have to thrash it to make haste.
Its more of nothing then all hell letting loose with no mid point.
In the old cars you could short shift up at 4000rpm and be going pretty quick indeed, fairly stress free.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=105324

I know I will be looking very carefully at the PPP kit, to see if it improves (shouldn't be too difficult) the abysmal bottom end. Funds permitting.

Cheers MTR
Old 22 June 2002, 08:45 PM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Smile

ooooo.....you guys. I shouldn't read posts like this. There was me, about to buy an MY99 for 10k and very happy with it and now.....oooooo.....maybe i should pay more than double cos the old shape just ain't up to it. I know you didn't say that, its just...well, clearly the new sti is way better and i hate buying obsolete stuff !
Old 22 June 2002, 10:32 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

May as well throw my two pence worth in. Scooby turbo history (all from new) - MY98 wagon, bog standard, did nearly 60K in just short of 2 years - MY00 Saloon with full Prodrive treatment, did 45K in 2 years, - MY02 STI since 1st Feb, just coming up to 11K (non-Prodrive, but with Prodrive rear spoiler).

Take any performance comments for cars with less than 7/8K with a pinch of salt, as once you get some serious miles clocked up it really comes into its own.

My STI beats my previous PPP'd MY00 hands down for performance, handling (my MY00 had the Prodrive Eibach/Bilsteins) and brakes (comparing it to the previous Alcons). It could do with a bit more torque around the 3Krpm point to save changing from 6th to 5th as often on motorways and hopefully the PPP will address this.

Goodbye crappy clutch and rattles (maybe they will come one day) and hello to greater comfort and lights that you can see to drive by.

Ken
Old 22 June 2002, 10:43 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

Ken and all,

Had my Prodrive 7 for nearly three months now. Performance breathtaking....glad that it'll only get better!

Only grumble is crappy radio and tendancy to pick up stone chips easier than any car that I've ever owned.

Happy driving.

Korky
Old 22 June 2002, 11:12 PM
kenneth
Scooby Newbie

i was gonna get a new wrx in january but from your comments i'm not sure whether to get a s/hand sti
Old 22 June 2002, 11:21 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Gotta agree with you all the Sti is amazing, build quality performance etc

Only got 500 miles on mine but it pulls really strongly, finally the Sti 7 is the car subarus should have been like from the beginning.

hawkeye
Old 22 June 2002, 11:29 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

KenG

How are you finding gear selection ?
Old 22 June 2002, 11:31 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR STi'S !!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I have two more weeks to wait for my STi7 and its killing me....

So please when you make these posts try and remember people less fortunate than yourselves.
Old 22 June 2002, 11:36 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Sorry, shall we talk about my P1 instead ?
Old 22 June 2002, 11:41 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Erm, you have both ?
Old 22 June 2002, 11:46 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

russell,
if you've got a P1 aswell what do you honestly think of the Sti 7 vs P1. I know it probably been done before but I would be interested to hear your comments.

hawkeye
Old 22 June 2002, 11:51 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Russel = pimp/drug dealer/rent boy/insurance broker/ dentist

Which one ?
Old 23 June 2002, 12:10 AM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Which one do you want me to be ?

All I can say is :-

Handling - both are very capable, and far exceed my bravery on the road. I use the STI everyday, and the ride is slightly more comfortable on the STI. The P1 has a harder ride, but this adds to the overall character of the car. STI's front diff takes a little getting used to, but is reassurng once you realise what is going on.Haven't driven the STI on track.

Performance - P1 wins. Much more eager, especially up to 4k RPM. Over that, not really much in it but P1 nicks it.STI a pain on the motorway sometimes as you need 5th too much. Ask me again after the PPP.

Interior - I like both but the P1 has Recaros and the full Nitosport job, HKS gauges etc which is nice. However the STI doesn't rattle like a bag of spanners. The P1 has a rather good ICE install as well, which can prove rather tempting.

I don't know what else to say really. They are very similar cars despite their differences, but the STI needs the PPP. The extra strength in the STI is evident and the car is better for it.At the moment tho, I feel it is being choked by the cats and emission control. Roll on the PPP.
Old 23 June 2002, 12:21 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Cheers russell nice to know, I agree with your comments re ppp.

Hawkeye
Old 23 June 2002, 09:14 AM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Russell, The gearbox has eased up as well. When new it was a tad stiff, and when cold it could be a bit of a bitch to downshift into second. Now, its great, no issues at all.

Drove a pals STI the other day (8K on the clock) with the quick-shift fitted. Hardly any difference on the throw (maybe 10%), but a much snappier and positive drop into gear. Bloody expensive at over £400 installed though (well, he has more money than sense).

Ken
Old 23 June 2002, 09:47 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Russell you greedy git.. you haven't still got the P1!!

Hmm... '00 Turbo -> P1 -> mod'd '01 WRX -> '02 GX ... drive the STi 5 or so times, and want one for all the reasons above - also found the gearbox a little unruly...
Old 23 June 2002, 10:03 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I know and understand what your saying about the new shaped car cause I felt the same the first time I drove the bugeye WRX. I remember thinking how nice it felt and looked from the drivers seat and how well screwed together, etc it was. But for me something was missing....it just wasn't quite right. I then jumped into an MY99 10 mins later and instantly knew I still prefered it. Why? Because if felt like a Subaru, in that it was louder, harder to live with and sort of thrown together with a nice turbo-charged engine strapped on. It felt raw! The new shape, whilst I respect it enormously (and it's looks are growing on me) seems to fight a battle against more 'well screwed together and classy cars' such as the 3-series and A4. The old shape didn't, it just said, 'I don't care if you've got fancy computers, leather, nice plastics and flawless design' I'll tear you appart on the road/track/gravel and that's all that matters. That's why the new shape annoys me cause the 'What Car' (no offence but not an enthusiasts mag) readers think...hmmmm...Subaru's have a good name now and I'm pretty sure I could live with the new WRX and they buy one. They then drive it like a 3 series/A4 driver and don't wave. In short they don't get what makes a Subaru....well....a Subaru. Hope someone out there sort of gets my point and I want to stress that I'm not trying to offend anyone in anyway including drivers of German cars or What Car readers
Old 23 June 2002, 10:19 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

Is there such a thing as evolution-of-car-oh-phobic?

Saxoboy - see what you are saying - but ultimately like anything its horses for course - so, basically depending on what you as a drive expect/want, will dictate which model year flicks yer switch as it were! I remember my P1 was hugely entertaining off the line... with that all-or-nothing feel about it.

[Edited by DrEvil - 6/23/2002 10:46:10 AM]
Old 23 June 2002, 02:57 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Just for interest, maybe,
From 30mph to 90mph there is nothing in the acceleration of an ST7 and a P1 (STi Std, P1 with Prodrive P1 backbox on), but from there on the P1 pulls away, quite strongly.
Not by a massive margin, but enough.

The 'test' was repeated several times with exactly the same results.

Cheers MTR

Quick Reply: First Opinion of my new Sti