Sponsored by:

hello again! 1996 v3 STI home restoration

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2023, 07:20 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello again! 1996 v3 STI home restoration

Hello all! it has been a long time since here, too long tbh.
our Sti v3 has been through a recommissioning process over the last 12 months and is now almost there.
She had the dreaded rear arch and sills rust so i had left her alone for a long time... never really getting the courage to have a go, but one day.. don't know why, i got the rear bumper off and set to with an angle grinder - no turning back..

so i spent about 90-100 hours cutting out rust, making panels and fitting some subie saver outers... i'm no welder, so it too a while.

We are saving for a full pro-respray so i just did a temp job on the paint for now but importantly the welding work got through the MOT...

I then took her to East Sussex Subaru for a new cam belt, tensioner, water pump, radiator, sump, 2 x rear wheel bearings and a few other bits which she really needed!

anyhow, I'll post up a few pics of the process soon... now the winter is here she's back in the garage and i'm fitting a new clutch master and slave cylinder - let's not mention a near bonfire at a petrol station in Worthing gulp!
She'll also get a scrubbing underneath and re-undersealing, callipers rebuilding, suspension arms removed, bushed and recoated... each winter we'll tinker on a few things...

It was great to get her back on the road as there are not too many 1996 v3 STI cars left it seems...

Mike

Old 21 November 2023, 07:49 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Look forward to the pictures. Personally I think the v3sti is the perfect impreza

Mine is back on the road after nearly 4 years. I took it off the road to do the rusty bits.
Long story but things got in the way.....4 years later it's still got rusty bits but it's back as my daily and I've yet to invest in a welder!