Sponsored by:

Personal Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2023, 02:15 AM
Huzaifa
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Personal Steering Wheel

After owning my car for a few years now, I've always felt the steering wheel is way too big and skinny for the car it is. I'm looking at getting this by Nardi. https://www.driftworks.com/personal-...ck-spokes.html

The car is an 07 Hawk

Does anyone know what hub etc. I need for installing this wheel?
Also do I go 330mm or 350mm? I like the idea of a smaller steering wheel.

Thanks.
Old 14 January 2023, 06:23 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

On my jdm hawk i have Damd steering wheel 358mm think its perfect size,thick enough etc.
I just bought Damd carbon for 2011 sti ,waiting for delivery from nengun.
Did not drive with 330mm but think it will be to small for road car.Try it You will tell us
the one from a link looks thin btw

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 14 January 2023 at 06:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 January 2023, 09:55 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a 350mm Personal Neo Grinta on my 2015 STI, a 330mm felt too small to me. The 350mm feels perfect.

The following 3 users liked this post by Danjo:
Old 15 January 2023, 05:56 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
On my jdm hawk i have Damd steering wheel 358mm think its perfect size,thick enough etc.
I just bought Damd carbon for 2011 sti ,waiting for delivery from nengun.
Did not drive with 330mm but think it will be to small for road car.Try it You will tell us
the one from a link looks thin btw
Wow how much was that, was it was on an exchange basis like Royal?
Direct fit onto existing hub?
Gorgeous wheel and kinda looks OEM, and of course keeps the airbag too.

Old 15 January 2023, 08:42 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
https://www.damd.co.jp/steering/
and
https://www.damd.co.jp/lp/dps/

Used to be available from https://www.sumopower.com/Brands/DAMD in the UK or from Japanparts
Old 15 January 2023, 08:44 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
No You keep Yours steering wheel ,they make them new,direct fit to any scoob with correct airbag.
410 quid delivered from Sumopower ages ago when they advertised here.
Think carbon will cost me 550 quid from Nengun. Unfortunately Damd disagreed to make me Carbon with red bottom( thats what Nengun told me )
Damd made 5 of them in the past -picture- and agreed to make me one via Sumopower (710 quid) but i pulled out from purchase than year later I asked again but refused by Damd.
No idea why they can not fit red leather to carbon wheel as they make them for order ,approx 3 months waiting time.
I will swap bottom part for red leather anyway. Have GR airbag for it to.

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 16 January 2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 16 January 2023, 10:35 AM
86B
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Huzaifa
After owning my car for a few years now, I've always felt the steering wheel is way too big and skinny for the car it is. I'm looking at getting this by Nardi. https://www.driftworks.com/personal-...ck-spokes.html

The car is an 07 Hawk

Does anyone know what hub etc. I need for installing this wheel?
Also do I go 330mm or 350mm? I like the idea of a smaller steering wheel.

Thanks.
I am using a Personal Grinta 330mm leather steering wheel in my GC right now, it looks great and feels very sturdy.
It is a good size if you are not tall and have wide shoulders. I am only 175cm tall so the smaller 330mm wheel works good for me and doesn't feel cramped when using it.

For the hub I would recommend a Works Bell hub, they looks to be good quality but not cheap.
I am using a Daikei hub and while it works I feel like the quality isn't as good as Works Bell/HKB. I only use them because I'm sick and tired of that ribbed condom look they use for covers on the Works Bell/HKB, my previous one is HKB.

Trending Topics

Old 18 January 2023, 02:06 AM
Huzaifa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danjo
I have a 350mm Personal Neo Grinta on my 2015 STI, a 330mm felt too small to me. The 350mm feels perfect.

That is beautiful. I think 350mm is perfect then.
Old 18 January 2023, 02:09 AM
Huzaifa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 86B
I am using a Personal Grinta 330mm leather steering wheel in my GC right now, it looks great and feels very sturdy.
It is a good size if you are not tall and have wide shoulders. I am only 175cm tall so the smaller 330mm wheel works good for me and doesn't feel cramped when using it.

For the hub I would recommend a Works Bell hub, they looks to be good quality but not cheap.
I am using a Daikei hub and while it works I feel like the quality isn't as good as Works Bell/HKB. I only use them because I'm sick and tired of that ribbed condom look they use for covers on the Works Bell/HKB, my previous one is HKB.
Nice. Any pics?
Old 18 January 2023, 09:40 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I use a Momo Mod .69 350mm on my Impreza and Evo. Both use the HKB boss.

The following 3 users liked this post by EddScott:
Old 18 January 2023, 03:45 PM
Huzaifa
Scooby Regular

Default Potential risk?

I’ve been told behind the OEM wheel there is a steering angle sensor that can fail when a replacement aftermarket wheel is fitted, if it does it stops the cars DCCD from working and a new sensor will be needed. Is it worth the risk?

Last edited by Huzaifa; 18 January 2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 19 January 2023, 09:49 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Huzaifa
I’ve been told behind the OEM wheel there is a steering angle sensor that can fail when a replacement aftermarket wheel is fitted, if it does it stops the cars DCCD from working and a new sensor will be needed. Is it worth the risk?
You do have to be very careful. I broke the ribbon cable behind the steering wheel which also caused the angle sensor to fail. Getting a replacement can be a pain as there are many different versions.

When I remove the wheel now I only undo the nut a turn or two then rock the wheel loose. Once the wheel is loose and can be removed by hand then there's much less chance of breaking the cable/angle sensor.

It can be put right but you have to be VERY lucky. I actually ended up doing it twice - stupid of me I know. 2nd time I was able to put the cable back in place and reset the angle sensor. (you line up two indicators on the gear wheels inside the sensor)
The following 2 users liked this post by EddScott:
Old 21 January 2023, 09:42 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

A quick question on aftermarket steering wheels, if your car goes for an MOT would they fail your car with an aftermarket steering wheel if the aftermarket one didn't have an air bag but your original OEM one did ?

Also, just say you were involved in an accident, hopefully not and you got a clued up traffic officer would it void your insurance ? Because lets say you need an OEM steering wheel to get an MOT, i don't know if you do or you don't, would your insurance company let you list it as a modification knowing it didn't have an air bag and wouldn't qualify for MOT hence technically possibly not being legally roadworthy ? I'm just after the exact answer as it's something ive been considering.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 21 January 2023 at 11:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Joshua Tree:
Old 26 January 2023, 12:25 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
A quick question on aftermarket steering wheels, if your car goes for an MOT would they fail your car with an aftermarket steering wheel if the aftermarket one didn't have an air bag but your original OEM one did ?

Also, just say you were involved in an accident, hopefully not and you got a clued up traffic officer would it void your insurance ? Because lets say you need an OEM steering wheel to get an MOT, i don't know if you do or you don't, would your insurance company let you list it as a modification knowing it didn't have an air bag and wouldn't qualify for MOT hence technically possibly not being legally roadworthy ? I'm just after the exact answer as it's something ive been considering.
My Clio track car failed the MOT for this exact reason Rob.
Old 29 January 2023, 11:22 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by adam.pah
My Clio track car failed the MOT for this exact reason Rob.
Thanks Adam, i remember when i was looking at importing a car with Torque GT i'm sure they pointed out that that i'd have to change the steering wheel back to an OEM one for the current Sparco race type one that was on the car. Their were a few other changes that i would have had to make including the exhaust sticking out too far at the back which was an MOT failure they said.
Old 29 January 2023, 11:42 AM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
Thanks Adam, i remember when i was looking at importing a car with Torque GT i'm sure they pointed out that that i'd have to change the steering wheel back to an OEM one for the current Sparco race type one that was on the car. Their were a few other changes that i would have had to make including the exhaust sticking out too far at the back which was an MOT failure they said.
Just to add some balance to this. I’ve had my Personal steering wheel on for three years and it’s been to three different MOT testers and they’ve never once mentioned the wheel. So it’s really down to the tester on the day.