Sponsored by:

03 WRX auto locking not behaving

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2022, 01:34 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 03 WRX auto locking not behaving

I’m curious to know how the auto locking is supposed to operate. In the 15 years we’ve had the car as soon as you turn the key in the ignition the locks clunk into locked position, unless one of the doors is open when the car is started, then if you want it locked you press the lock button on the door. It has also always locked itself after 30 seconds if the door hasn’t been opened, but if the door is opened it will stay unlocked.

This morning because I’m a nice kind of guy, and nothing to do with my wife moaning like **** about the car being frozen, not being able to get in through the drivers door, and then cracking the screen the whole width of it after blasting it with heat yesterday morning, I went out and defrosted it and started it up leaving it running to warm up.

The car was started with a door open, but when I went to get in it I couldn’t because the auto lock had decided now would be a good time to lock the car with the doors shut and the engine running. Luckily spare key indoors, although the key hole was frozen so took a bit of wiggling. My wife then told me that it has recently started to lock itself, so what could be wrong with it or has it always meant to do it?
Old 09 December 2022, 02:44 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

From the Sigma M30 alarm manual
Enable/Disable Safety-Lock Feature (Options 4 and 5 on the keypad)
Many Police forces now recommend that you lock your vehicle s doors whilst driving,
Safety-Lock prevents you from having to remember to do so. If all the doors, bonnet and
boot are closed and you turn on the vehicle s ignition all the doors and boot will singlelock.
Unlike double-locking, the doors can be opened internally at any time. When you
turn off the ignition all the doors and boot will automatically unlock.
To stop the doors and boot locking on a single occasion, for example if you wish to start
the engine and then vacate the vehicle, perhaps to scrape ice from the windows, open a
door and turn on the vehicle s ignition, after 1 second the vehicle s hazard lights will give
a single flash. It is then safe to close your door and Safety-Lock will not lock your doors
until the next time you turn the vehicle s ignition off then on again.

To enable Safety-Lock turn on the vehicle s ignition, give the radio transmitter
button a quick press, type 4 on the keypad and immediately turn off the ignition.
Safety-Lock will now function as described.

To disable Safety-Lock turn on the vehicle s ignition, give the radio transmitter
button a quick press, type 5 on the keypad and immediately turn off the ignition.
Safety-Lock is now disabled and will not operate your door locks.
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
All people driving the vehicle should be made aware that Safety-Lock is enabled,
to prevent them inadvertently locking the keys inside the vehicle.

Last edited by Don Clark; 09 December 2022 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09 December 2022, 07:54 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Don, that is how it was operating but it seems to just self lock all the time now even if the door has been opened.

Further development, got a call from the Mrs this afternoon as when she went to get in it the car wouldn’t start and there was a lot of clicking coming from the ignition, lights going beserk so I rushed to her aid with the jump leads.

When I got there it was still clicking away even though the key was not in the ignition.
connected the leads and after the alarm started going off briefly it fired straight up.
I did start it up the other night and the starter motor sounded a bit harsh so I think the battery might be past its best.
Old 09 December 2022, 08:07 PM
Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if the battery voltage drops enough while starting i could re set and settings in the sigma ? Dose anything reset when disconnecting the battery ?
Old 09 December 2022, 08:36 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Croney
Not sure if the battery voltage drops enough while starting i could re set and settings in the sigma ? Dose anything reset when disconnecting the battery ?
I don’t know yet I’ve only just disconnected the battery tonight having got home and won’t reconnect until I’ve taken it off tomorrow and put it on charge.
I don’t want a repeat of the alarm going off at 3:30am and having to go out in my pants to disconnect it and apologise to my neighbour that had also come out in his pants to see what the f uk was going on (luckily he had a rr sport that had a dodgy alarm so think he might have been a little sympathetic) 😬
Old 10 December 2022, 10:38 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Thanks Don, that is how it was operating but it seems to just self lock all the time now even if the door has been opened.
Have you ever tried disabling Safety-Lock??
Old 10 December 2022, 06:07 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

No I haven’t Don as I have not had an issue with it before, but I think it might be the battery past it’s best causing the problem.