08 STI TB vs. BRZ TB

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2022, 08:24 PM
Itamar_M
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 08 STI TB vs. BRZ TB

Hey all,
Anyone know if the mounting holes on the 08 STI throttle body are the same as the BRZ throttle body? Would they be interchangeable on the same intake manifold?

08 STI throttle body:

BRZ throttle body (taken from the internet):

Thank you!

Old 15 June 2022, 10:26 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

What is it you are trying to do??

The holes "may" be in the same place (similar looking body casting) but the BRZ unit doesn't have the MAP sensor attachment and the DBW is probably calibrated differently.
Hatch STI and WRX share the same throttle body.

Old 15 June 2022, 03:25 PM
Itamar_M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
What is it you are trying to do??

The holes "may" be in the same place (similar looking body casting) but the BRZ unit doesn't have the MAP sensor attachment and the DBW is probably calibrated differently.
Hatch STI and WRX share the same throttle body.

Well, in my pursuit after a sleek black engine bay theme, I'm looking for solutions that are both esthetically pleasing and that require the least amount of modifying (adapters, painting etc.). So, bolt-on\Plug and play and the solutions I'm looking for.

I currently have a DBW intake manifold with an 08 STI DBW throttle body that I thought of powder coating to match the rest of the parts but the throttle plate motor housing is plastic:

Now, I recently came across this BLOX Racing billet throttle body that is specific for the BRZ manifolds:

Since I have installed an aftermarket map sensor under the intake manifold, I have no use for the factory map sensor on the throttle body:

So I thought I could get 2 birds with one stone with this BLOX throttle body. It's already in black, doesn't have the map sensor and the only thing left for me to find out is if it bolts up to the intake manifold without any adapters\modifications needed.

I'm also currently running a Haltech Elite 1500 ECU so calibrating a new throttle body won't be an issue.

This is the point I'm at so far. Still have lots to do!

Thanks!

Old 15 June 2022, 04:53 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Have you tried asking Blox for the hole layout dimensions??
Expensive item to replace just for the black finish or is the 70mm dia bore/butterfly, that you are after as well (not sure what the std WRXSTI throttle body is, but maybe 60-65mm?).
If so would need some port matching to benefit from it.
How about VHT black wrinkle/crackle finish??

Last edited by Don Clark; 15 June 2022 at 04:56 PM.
Old 15 June 2022, 07:40 PM
Itamar_M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Have you tried asking Blox for the hole layout dimensions??
Expensive item to replace just for the black finish or is the 70mm dia bore/butterfly, that you are after as well (not sure what the std WRXSTI throttle body is, but maybe 60-65mm?).
If so would need some port matching to benefit from it.
How about VHT black wrinkle/crackle finish??

That could be a good idea to ask them for the dimensions!

I'm personally not a big fan of the wrinkle style. I'm aiming for more of a smooth finish (not show car level but not wrinkle either).

You are correct, the factory TB is 65 mm and the Blox is 70.
I'm not really after the size benefit (although porting the intake manifold is definitely an option) as much as I really like the way it looks and the fact the there's no map sensor that needs deleting.
It would really complement the rest of the parts in the engine bay and would help with the look I'm going for. =)