Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust for 2008 STi GRB JDM (EJ207)

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2022, 03:09 PM
Julian Layton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust for 2008 STi GRB JDM (EJ207)

Hi all,

I'm looking for an aftermarket exhaust for my 2008 STi GRB hatchback. I am moslty wanting the exhaust to give the Subaru rumble we all love, not worried about a power increase.

After some research I found the Invidia R400, which sounds perfect. All of the videos on youtube are of the 2.5l engine, not 2.0. Will the sound be much different and will it fit?

If anyone has recommendations for an exhaust for a EJ207 engine, to give the Subaru rumble, that would be great.

Thanks,
Julian
Old 15 February 2022, 03:24 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the 2.0 JDM cars have a twinscroll turbo and factory equal length headers and as such do not "burble"..........
The following users liked this post:
Old 15 February 2022, 03:29 PM
P1-Murph
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will not get your Twin Scroll car to sound like a Single Scroll car by changing the turbo back system...

It will always sound like a twin scroll car, unless you replace the twin scroll turbo setup for a single scroll setup.
Old 15 February 2022, 05:57 PM
Julian Layton
Scooby Regular

Breaking my heart guys! So no matter what exhaust I put on I wont get the rumble sound? Surely an aftermarket exhaust would give some sound difference?
Old 15 February 2022, 08:19 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Layton
Breaking my heart guys! So no matter what exhaust I put on I wont get the rumble sound? Surely an aftermarket exhaust would give some sound difference?
A different exhaust will change the sound but the rumble comes from the uneven headers. A twin scroll can't run uneven headers. You're running a 2ltr hatch, have you seen the issues the 2.5 has.
Old 15 February 2022, 08:47 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

It's only the rumble of inefficiency; be happy with the efficiency of the twinscroll howl.
The following 4 users liked this post by hedgecutter:
Old 15 February 2022, 08:55 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Post up some pics of your car fella.

Trending Topics

Old 15 February 2022, 09:58 PM
Hughy
Scooby Regular

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Milltek Exhaust

I have a sports cat down pipe and Miltek exhaust on mine and it sounds a lot better, I would put a video up but for some reason it wont allow me to but like's been said before, you will not get the burble on a twin scroll
Old 16 February 2022, 04:30 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

My Fsti has/came with equal length headers , the performance and smoothness of power is noticeable v uel headers , i did the cat back centre section silencer delete and have a back box , it’s definitely more scooby and sounds better but does not have the normal burble , the increase in power is worth loosing a bit of burble 😁
Old 16 February 2022, 08:37 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
A different exhaust will change the sound but the rumble comes from the uneven headers. A twin scroll can't run uneven headers. You're running a 2ltr hatch, have you seen the issues the 2.5 has.
hate to burst your bubble but from the later new-age JDM 2.0 cars they use the same piston design / casting process as any of the 2.5 STi's and can / do suffer the same potential problems............the only advantage they have is the smaller bore and hence stronger as std cylinder liner
Old 16 February 2022, 10:04 AM
Julian Layton
Scooby Regular

Here is a photo of my hatch - I pick it up in 3 weeks (cant drive due to femur surgery) so its actually still with the car shop. Its currently stock standard, but they have a workshop so I was hoping to add some bits while its sitting there..
For an exhaust Im wanting to have the quad exhaust with the burnt titanium look, as shown in the pic below. After research I found the R400 which sounds amazing (on the 2.5 engine). Does anyone have any recommendations for an exhaust with video example?

Old 16 February 2022, 10:13 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
hate to burst your bubble but from the later new-age JDM 2.0 cars they use the same piston design / casting process as any of the 2.5 STi's and can / do suffer the same potential problems............the only advantage they have is the smaller bore and hence stronger as std cylinder liner
I know Alyn, we have had this conversation before. It was an oversimplification on my part. But thats the thing you hear of far more less failures. Not sure if thats people just not reporting them on the JDM models. Did you say previously you saw equal numbers coming into you shop.
Old 16 February 2022, 10:41 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

never be equal numbers simply because of the volumes of 2.5's being the "correct" UK / EU model but we certainly see enough to be a focus........

I just hate the fact that people blindly get something because its 'bullet proof' without the facts being put before them......they all potentially have issues some of more concern than others and I do feel the 2.5 gets a bad rep simply because of how many cars there are out there, good ones last no issue

should we open the "thick walled block" can of worms.............
Old 16 February 2022, 10:51 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
never be equal numbers simply because of the volumes of 2.5's being the "correct" UK / EU model but we certainly see enough to be a focus........

I just hate the fact that people blindly get something because its 'bullet proof' without the facts being put before them......they all potentially have issues some of more concern than others and I do feel the 2.5 gets a bad rep simply because of how many cars there are out there, good ones last no issue

should we open the "thick walled block" can of worms.............
You mean the thick walled vs the extra extra special thickwalled can of worms.............don't you dare

No Subaru engine is bullet proof sorry if you mistook what I said.
Old 16 February 2022, 10:52 AM
Julian Layton
Scooby Regular

What can be done to help reduce the chance of issues with the motors? Obviously dont crank up the boost, redline the **** out of it, and service it regularly?

I was thinking of adding a K&N panel filter, HKS BOV, some sort of exhaust, and do a stage 1 remap...Will the stage 1 remap have any impact on engine reliability/efficiency?
Old 16 February 2022, 10:57 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

What can be done to help reduce the chance of issues with the motors? Obviously dont crank up the boost, redline the **** out of it, and service it regularly?

I was thinking of adding a K&N panel filter, HKS BOV, some sort of exhaust, and do a stage 1 remap...Will the stage 1 remap have any impact on engine reliability/efficiency?
Don't be scared mate, it might seem scary but don't stress. Get a remap done, or at the very least a map check for UK fuel. But I think thats all part of the service from Torque GT. They won't go mad with the map on delivery if I remember correctly, its a very conservative map.

Dump valve is a can of worms. A fight that has ranged on for years. Your car, your choice. I'm camp dump valve though
Old 16 February 2022, 01:23 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Good maintenance is the key mate. There's no such thing as 'stages' with the Impreza as there is so much choice for aftermarket parts. I always have my map tweaked after any changes I make, it's surprising how much difference the little things can make. Choosing a decent mapper is also key as there are a couple of terrible ones out there. A good start is a decent panel filter, 3 port boost solenoid and a remap. That should put you in the 330-340bhp ball park. After that it's a decat/sports cat to add a bit more before going to a hybrid turbo to see 400. At that point you be at the limits of the engine for reliability.
Old 16 February 2022, 01:31 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I have contacted a company (C-TEC) to custom make a sports cat downpipe for the GRB, we need 2 more people to make it worth his time to make a jig though. Is this something that would interest you?
It won't rumble but will sound a million times better (I have heard Hugh's video).

Last edited by fpan; 16 February 2022 at 01:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fpan:
Old 16 February 2022, 07:11 PM
Julian Layton
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have any recommendations for a catback/sports cat exhaust for the JDM STi?
Old 17 February 2022, 06:41 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Oil change every 5000 miles maximum, preferably 3000, with black Subaru oil filter.
Old 17 February 2022, 09:00 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

What can be done to help reduce the chance of issues with the motors?
Don't drive it, just look at it.
Old 17 February 2022, 12:26 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Old 17 February 2022, 12:35 PM
Julian Layton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
Don't drive it, just look at it.
Did you end up installing the R400 on your JDM?