Sponsored by:

Maintenance time!!

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2022, 06:54 PM
WRXmatt92
Scooby Newbie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Maintenance time!!

Had a rare sunny day off work today so decided the poor scoob that's been sat idle on the driveway deserved some tlc ... so out came the tools and the new cambelt and water pump kit that have been sitting around for months and decided to crack on took most of the day as doing this on the drive with a torn muscle in your shoulder is not ideal but needs must! Also fitted my shiny new japspeed radiator and some coloured hoses. Just need to wash it now 3 months of sitting still has made it look a bit sorry for itself

The following 3 users liked this post by WRXmatt92:
Old 31 January 2022, 07:15 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Good job! I'm tackling the cam belt tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Old 31 January 2022, 07:44 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Good on you mate.
The following 2 users liked this post by NOSSY_89:
Old 31 January 2022, 07:56 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Had my cam belt (and an idler) replaced today - at Subaru4You. Wish I was brave enough to tackle the job myself.
Old 31 January 2022, 08:32 PM
WRXmatt92
Scooby Newbie

They're not that bad of a job to do, plus as you've got have the rad out anyway to get to it made sense to fit the new one and some hoses too. Mind you it wasn't much fun with a buggered shoulder haha. However was very rewarding driving the old girl again once done ..... hadn't turned a wheel in months Still toying with the idea of changing the td04 hybrid and getting a vf35 and having Neil tweak the map for me ..... just unsure if the benefits would justify the cost ..... decisions decisions! Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Last edited by WRXmatt92; 31 January 2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 31 January 2022, 09:24 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

vf35/34 are brilliant turbos. But don't forget you may need injectors and other supporting mods.
Old 31 January 2022, 09:48 PM
WRXmatt92
Scooby Newbie

Oh, I have supporting mods haha. My td04 unit is a hybrid with a 19t billet wheel alongside this I have a decatted up pipe, downpipe, full cobra stainless, STI pink injectors, walbro lp255 fuel pump, 3 port boost solenoid, k&n panel filter so I'm wondering if I'll see much difference with vf turbo as opposed to the one I'm currently running?
Old 01 February 2022, 02:16 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Same here lol messed up one years ago on an old Vauxhall and never tried it again.

Although my mate just bought a cambelt kit for his car, and a bolt broke on the kit and now have some damage on his engine.

Company who sold it is paying, but the lad who did it is a mechanic, so guessing if he had done it himself they may have not paid out.

Originally Posted by Nick_Cat
Had my cam belt (and an idler) replaced today - at Subaru4You. Wish I was brave enough to tackle the job myself.
Old 01 February 2022, 06:10 AM
WRXmatt92
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Same here lol messed up one years ago on an old Vauxhall and never tried it again.

Although my mate just bought a cambelt kit for his car, and a bolt broke on the kit and now have some damage on his engine.

Company who sold it is paying, but the lad who did it is a mechanic, so guessing if he had done it himself they may have not paid out.
Man that sucks, what bolt broke? Did it brake during installation or while he was driving? I guess on a plus side at least the parts manufacturers are paying for the repairs but it's still a while load of hassle!
Old 01 February 2022, 10:58 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

When I was looking years ago the VF turbos had a bit more in them. Thinking about it now though it might not be worth it for you running a hybrid currently.

Are you after a specific power level or want a change in delivery.
Old 01 February 2022, 12:19 PM
WRXmatt92
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
When I was looking years ago the VF turbos had a bit more in them. Thinking about it now though it might not be worth it for you running a hybrid currently.

Are you after a specific power level or want a change in delivery.
Well I'd like to try and get it somewhere in the realms of 350bhp or there abouts and a bit faster spool would be nice as my current hybrid isnt on full chat until about 4k rpm
Old 01 February 2022, 12:50 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

I wouldn’t tackle the cam belt on my own, my mate has his own garage and a 2 door classic rally cross car so he said he would help me out. He done loads before, I’m hoping that when I’ve done 1 I’ll have more confidence for next time.

I have an AET hybrid vf35 with EJ205 on my project car. It’s running 350-360 at 1.4 bar. Supporting mods are 3” exhaust (sports cat), pink injectors, STi tmic. It will never spoil as quickly as with an EJ207 as the AVCS heads make a massive difference. Still goes well though and pulls 100mph in 3rd gear! (On a private road obviously!)
Old 01 February 2022, 01:14 PM
WRXmatt92
Scooby Newbie

I used to work in the trade from leaving school up until about 3 years ago when I started my new occupation so I do all my own work. Usually I'd have the car in the unit but after jump starting it after months of being dormant the radiator had split so i wasn't able to get it there... hence the driveway job ... at least it's done now and peace of mind has been restored (didn't have any info on last belt change)

I have been told the vf turbos are capable of making the sort of power I'm after and as mentioned i have all the supporting mods so once installed would just require a trip to the mapper for adjustment. Curently making 1.4 bar on the hybrid which it holds right through the rev range and the car is definately no slouch! However i just feel there is room to get a little more from it.
Old 01 February 2022, 02:20 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

The thing is lower down loss. I've said this before butt dyno plays a large part. For me I wanted more top end so was happy to sacrifice a few rpm, I got that back by using a Harvey Smith trick up pipe. What I don't want to happen is you swap over to a vf turbo and then are either too underwhelmed because you think spool is similar to your hybrid or you feel its too laggy.

I had a vf 28 and changed to a vf34. There was other work done but what I can say is mapping does make a massive difference.
Old 01 February 2022, 02:47 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

More power, further up the rev range.

What numbers are you running now?
Old 01 February 2022, 04:19 PM
WRXmatt92
Scooby Newbie

Not had it in a dyno as Neil at Slowboy Road maps but I believe it to be around the 320bhp mark, as I said its by no means a slow car just think there's a bit more to be had from it really
Old 01 February 2022, 04:55 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Maybe 10% more from a VF35 with later spool but more top end.
Old 01 February 2022, 09:07 PM
WRXmatt92
Scooby Newbie

Hmmm food for thought... just depends on cost really if I can justify the expense for roughly 10% over what I currently have
Old 01 February 2022, 10:09 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I think he said it was a tensioner bolt, not an Subaru on a Seat. It broke when he driving home. Think its bent a few valves.

Originally Posted by WRXmatt92
Man that sucks, what bolt broke? Did it brake during installation or while he was driving? I guess on a plus side at least the parts manufacturers are paying for the repairs but it's still a while load of hassle!
Old 02 February 2022, 10:57 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Most VF35'd WRXs seem to run 320-330bhp. Some as much if 350bhp if really pushed. So ~10% more over you Td04/19T (assuming it's running 300+). More torque obviously too and top end at the expense of higher spool. VF34 similar figures. You could have a billet wheel fitted to a VF35 to help it spin up more. Ultimately you're limited by the size of the exhaust housing as to how much boost you can run without simply generating heat.

TD05s can get you past 350bhp but at further spool expense. 5-speed box getting beyond borderline. If you want more than that then you are realistically looking at an STi engine or 2.5l transplant.
Old 02 February 2022, 12:19 PM
WRXmatt92
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Most VF35'd WRXs seem to run 320-330bhp. Some as much if 350bhp if really pushed. So ~10% more over you Td04/19T (assuming it's running 300+). More torque obviously too and top end at the expense of higher spool. VF34 similar figures. You could have a billet wheel fitted to a VF35 to help it spin up more. Ultimately you're limited by the size of the exhaust housing as to how much boost you can run without simply generating heat.

TD05s can get you past 350bhp but at further spool expense. 5-speed box getting beyond borderline. If you want more than that then you are realistically looking at an STi engine or 2.5l transplant.
Well it may be sonwhhing to consider in the future, funily enough I'd been looking at a vf35 for sale and the conpany do say they can upgrade to a billet wheel upon request. As for a TD05 I've heard they can be a bit laggy, aslo i replaced my grarbox later last year as 4th gear sh*t itself so im not in a hurry to be doing that anytime soon lol. For now though my time will be spent investigating the coolant leak that has manifested at the rear of the engine after a spirited drive last night..... it never ends!