Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORMULA PALMER AUDI RIDES @ BEDFORD ON FRIDAY!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 09:35 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi peeps.
Just to let you know that if we get sufficient interest, Palmersport will unleash their two-seater Formula Palmer Audi car onto the track on Friday.
It is a similar set-up to the two-seater F1 cars that you've probably seen with the passenger sitting behind the driver, and whilst not as quick still offers an absolutely awesome experience. The car is capable of 0-60 in less than 3 secs and over 160mph!!!
The cost of the ride is £100 for two laps which may sound pricey, but it really is the opportunity of a lifetime and the next best thing to an F1 car. Jonathan Palmer himself was stunned when he finally took a passenger ride, saying that it was an unreal feeling being a passenger at such speeds, despite his motorsport experience. At the recent Subaru/Autocar event it was out on the track continually! I'm trying to negotiate a club price, but won't know unless I get an idea of the demand. I don't need firm commitments, just an idea of how many people may be interested.
Roll on Friday!!

Stef.
Old 23 May 2001, 09:37 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stef,
Depending on final price sounds like a laugh put me down.

Grant
Old 23 May 2001, 09:56 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

As I seem to remember, its 350bhp in something that would make Felstead's Westie seem as lardy as him

PS - I would also be interested in starting a book on the maximum disparity of the darkies on the track as this <I>beast</I> leaves the pits

I reckon not more than 12 inches in 10 runs

LOL
Old 23 May 2001, 10:25 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Watch it puff.

They are actually 250BHP with an overboost facility of 300BHP for 7 seconds. they have slicks and wings so bags more grip than i have.

What a bunch of pussies.

I have 330BHP, no wings, no slicks and give free rides.

I should start charging for a run in my plastic pig, you get more sideways action and you dont have your gob in the drivers *** all the way round the lap.

Wish i was coming now, ah well, i will have to put up with rallying in the USA again i supose. LOL

P.S go for it, you wont regret it.
Old 23 May 2001, 10:35 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

If I wasn't such a useless passenger I would jump at this opportunity..

WELL DONE Stef!! Superb achievement!

I urge anyone who can afford it to take this opportunity.. the things that will astound more than anything will be the INCREDIBLE braking and cornering ability available to these cars through the aero downforce.

Truly (as stef says) and experience of a lifetime.

All the best

Simon
Old 23 May 2001, 11:00 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

Puff

Having watched these guys leaving the pitlane last time you are not being very generous m8
Old 24 May 2001, 08:15 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

When Stef and I were last there, we got a tour of the FPA workshops. The head honcho was explaining that the FPA cars produce so much downforce that at 80mph they could drive along the roof of a tunnel

Another interesting stat was about F1 cars... The best braking car in the world, at the moment, is the new 911 Turbo with ceramic Brembos. These brakes cannot match the *engine* braking of an F1 car!!!

When the driver stands on the brake pedal, he is pressed against the harnesses with up to 6g (six times his body weight)

Bagsy a ride in the FPA Stef
Old 24 May 2001, 08:50 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Nice one Stef - may be interested
Old 24 May 2001, 10:16 AM
Yosser
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've been in this car at a Company day at Bedford - Audi TT/S3 Caterhams and Lotus - then we had one lap in the Formula Palmer 2 seater - Awesome - Recommend this to anyone.
Cheers
Michael
Old 24 May 2001, 07:22 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Excellent, it's looking good!
It was actually our chief instructor, Rob Mac's idea, so he deserves the credit.
We may also have a rather special guest coming along.....

Stef.
Old 24 May 2001, 07:29 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Boys & Girls,

DO THIS. I've been around the track at their other facility in the two seater. AMAZING. The driver we had was drifting the car and all sorts, you can't move your head due to G-force/wind speed.

John F: this years cars are pushing 320bhp, if the car is based on last years then it is 220bhp.

BTW2 look out for the scars in the grass where I spun the Honda S2000 on Monday with Rob Mac in the drivers seat - sorry for the dust and grass all over you rob

greg
Old 24 May 2001, 08:57 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Just to let you all know that we are very priveleged to have PENTTI AIRIKKALA attending the event on a social basis.
He will be coming for the BBQ, along with Simon (Simon + Grub = Happy! ).
I'm sure you'll agree this is great news.
Many thanks to Simon for this.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 25 May 2001).]
Old 24 May 2001, 10:39 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

Stef/Webbie

Nice one!

Just make sure you've got some extinguishers

(Webbie - what's the editing?? Food bit?

Going to be a great day
Old 24 May 2001, 11:03 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

Get your facts straight guys.

press release from Jonathan Palmer dated march 2001.

"Formula Palmer Audi will not be continuing in 2001 as a championship for young drivers pursuing a career in motor racing. The series that has been so successful over the three years since its launch is changing its driver base, as a result of customer demand. A revised championship, Club FPA, is being launched, aimed at non-professional and amateur race drivers who wish to enjoy the benefits of FPA's renowned values."

"Club Formula Palmer Audi will comprise a 12 race championship over 6 double header events. The FPA cars have been rebuilt to the best ever standards and include a whole range of upgrades. All cars also have brand new Audi 250bhp turbo engines and run to the Euro specification including overboost to 300bhp. The price of a drive in the championship will be just £35,000 + VAT."

Pete, that guy was talking bollix mate He was portraying the myth about engine braking. F1 cars dont have big engine braking, the majority of speed loss (excluding the brakes) is down to the aero drag from the wings. In Monaco trim f1 cars take around 800BHP to make 180MPH due to the huge drag from the wings, even if on a infinately long road in that trim they wouldnt go any faster. Stick the same car in low downforce/drag Monza trim and it is capable of 220MPH.

F1 engines are very low inertia and very low friction, they have low engine braking charicteristics.

i wont even get into the other stuff.
Must not let facts get in the way of a good story.

I would love a go in one though, cars like that really are something else! If you get the chance go for it

Old 25 May 2001, 10:06 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

John

You are spot on mate and I did figure it was "aero" braking rather than engine.

As you say though, never let the facts get in the way of a good story

Anyway, got my 100 quid ready
Old 25 May 2001, 12:02 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

puff... you eagle eye you!!

Stef asked me to edit to amend the spelling of Airikkala

Pentti is a complete dude.. and for those of you who don't know. he's a former, British Rally Champion, Finnish Rally Champion and Scandinavian Rally Champion. Widely regarded as an absolute legend and heralded for his extraordinary car control and LFB mastery.

He's also a really sound bloke

All the best

Simon