ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Classic Wagon roof and front screen trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2021, 12:57 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Classic Wagon roof and front screen trim removal

Flippin' 'eck! wanting to get some bubbling rust on the A pillar sorted before winter, - its mainly by the pillar aerial -
I've been looking on youtube and on here for advice and help -thanks Don - mine has roof rails and looks like to get the trim which runs from underneath the front of the rail down to the scuttle, off, I've got to remove the roof rail. This involves removing the headlining to get at the roof rail fixings. What a job! and its just struck me that if ever I need a new windscreen, in order to get the side trims off (which are continuous to underneath the front foot of the roof rail) means BOTH roof rails off meaning the WHOLE headlining must be dropped to get at the roof rail fixings! Can you see anyone from a windscreen company wanting to do the job? or else you'd end up with trashed trims.
Also, the clips that hold the trim alongside the screen are totally different to the clips that hold the trim onto the roof, and I've found just the one helpful guide to how to release them, so I'll share it with you here:
I'd never have worked it out for myself!
btw, on mine, at the end of the trim where it meets the scuttle is an end cap....does anyone know if it's just pull up to release.....

pic showing my rooftrim is continuous from under the roof rail foot down to the scuttle

this is the end cap I'm wondering about how to remove to lift off the trim...any ideas?

THANKS FOR LOOKING ......THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

Last edited by nicam49; 06 August 2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 06 August 2021, 01:39 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

They slide in and out of T shaped fixings if I remember correctly...so try gently pushing/pulling in either direction and they should free up. Sorry I can't be more specific I de-barred my wagon a loooong-*** time ago!
Old 06 August 2021, 02:29 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by trails
They slide in and out of T shaped fixings if I remember correctly...so try gently pushing/pulling in either direction and they should free up. Sorry I can't be more specific I de-barred my wagon a loooong-*** time ago!
Hi! are you saying that the rails aren't bolted from the inside of the roof after all? Would be good if that's so......but mine's a Wagon and the parts diag looks different for a Wagon and a 'Sedan'.....
(tried copying the opposed forces diag but failed...)

Old 06 August 2021, 02:40 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

The rails themselves are bolted through the roof, but you should be able to lift the edge of the roof trim to access the bolts...I certainly didn't have to remove my roof lining on a MY00 wagon.

The trim that covers the gully is fixed in the same way on both the wagon and saloon.
Old 06 August 2021, 04:34 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 753 Likes on 624 Posts

The front end caps clip onto a clip which is held in place by a screw from below

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...llustration_1/

Last edited by Don Clark; 06 August 2021 at 04:35 PM.
The following users liked this post: