Subaru not Ulez compliant

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2021, 06:07 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Subaru not Ulez compliant

Hi all

Haven't been on here for a while as I was mostly following the groups all on face ache but I've done away with that. So I've got myself a bugeye that was imported in 2004 but was registered as a 2001 plate car. I'm nearly at the end of rebuilding it 6 years later but as I work inside the Ulez zone when it extends I was looking at seeing if I can make it compliant. I've noticed some bugeyes are exempt from the ulez and it would appear that imports are not exempt where as UK versions are.

Anyone on here happen to have been in the same scenario as me and spoke to tfl to get their bugeye made exempt.

Any advice is very welcome

Cheers all

Range rovers are lovely cars but they make the fuel bill on an impreza fill like its a ford fiesta lol

Old 21 February 2021, 11:23 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

have a look at this post

2.0l JDM Hawkeye STI ULEZ compliant?

the issue you have is it’s probably age related , my jdm fsti 07 with 0 emissions is exempt but my 55 fsti o emissions is not , they want the manufactures emissions compliance paperwork , as it’s jdm i think that’s going to be a struggle , you could provide uk paperwork if you can source it but will they accept it , in your situation it’s worth a go
Old 24 February 2021, 09:46 PM
Chuckieb
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted on the Hawkeye thread. I have a 2003 JDM spec c. After posting I tried Subaru UK. Our cars need to meet Euro 4 to be exempt and I was told that Subaru uk couldn’t help and I wouldn’t get anything out of Subaru Japan because they didn’t rate the JDM cars for Euro emissions laws. I was told that a 2003 uk sti was a Euro 3 so little chance the jdm one would be acceptable.

I have also tested other older subarus registration plates on the ulez checker and some seem ok whilst others don’t. Couldn’t say why.

Good luck with what ever you do, I have given up. Mine’s a weekend car so can just about live with it. But if you do find an answer, please share!

Last edited by Chuckieb; 24 February 2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 25 February 2021, 08:41 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Fortunately this post just reminded me that I had forgot to pay the congestion charges from a trip in to London in the family bus from, so thanks for saving me a fine!!

While I was there, I decided to check on mine. Both my '04 UK STi and my '54 Spec c appear to be compliant. I'm not sure what differences there are between the bug and blobs, can't be much though...
Old 25 February 2021, 10:30 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

It seems Birmingham is a lot harsher. Petrol 2005 and onwards or if its diesel 2015 and onwards. I wouldn't be surprised if London do make it stricter.
Old 18 March 2021, 10:31 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Response from tfl. Had a look online and found a few coc firms so I'm gonna take a gamble and hope the £150 fee is worth it. I've checked other subarus on a Y plate off ebay on the ulez checker. As I suspected the UK versions are all good. The imports are not so I suspect its down too them not displaying the emissions on the log book and the car not being Euro 4 compulsory as its pre 2004 reg

The ULEZ Scheme requires vehicles to meet the following standards; Petrol Vehicles must be Euro 4 or have NOx emissions equal to, or less than, 0.08 grams per kilometre. Diesel Vehicles must be Euro 6 or have NOx emissions equal to, or less than, 0.08 grams per kilometre and Particulate Matter emissions equal to, or less than, 0.005 grams per kilometre. These standards apply regardless of whether a vehicle has been imported into the UK or has been manufactured for the UK market. If you believe your vehicle meets the ULEZ standards you will need to provide evidence to confirm this. We would accept the following: - a certificate of conformity provided by the vehicle manufacturer. Or; - A letter from the vehicle manufacturer confirming the Euro standard of your vehicle. This letter must be on the manufacturers letter headed paper that and signed by a named individual from the homologation or technical department. A letter from customer services or a dealer will not be accepted. The letter must contain the following information - vehicle registration mark (VRM) - vehicle identification number (VIN) - euro standard the vehicle was manufactured to - Fuel Type - Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) value and - Particulate matter (PM) value (if diesel) You can upload your proof through an online enquiry form at tfl.gov.uk/ulez. If you have any questions, please visit our website at tfl.gov.uk/ulez. Yours sincerely
Old 19 March 2021, 12:58 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Are you going to contact Subaru directly to get the values etc.
Old 19 March 2021, 07:16 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Are you going to contact Subaru directly to get the values etc.
That is one option however I've already found online that you can request a certificate of conformity from Japan for exported cars already. I've emailed them too see if this is something they can deal with
Old 19 March 2021, 07:21 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bean1984
That is one option however I've already found online that you can request a certificate of conformity from Japan for exported cars already. I've emailed them too see if this is something they can deal with

looooooooooooooool thought it was a typo so was a bit confused what route you were taking.

"certificate of conformity" sounds like a good option
Old 22 March 2021, 02:45 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Would be interested in your outcome as i am in the same boat as yourself.
Old 22 March 2021, 10:16 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Had the following email back from Japan. Price is £350 equivalent to 50,000 yen for all the details required to make it ulez compliant so this will get done in the next week or two.

I suspect anyone who's looking at going down the same route would be best of finding a few same model cars on ebay and testing their number plates against the ulez checker site and to see if import cars are not compliant but UK registered cars are compliant. B3st thing i can do is show people my v5 form showing the details required are not shown on the v5 and see if another member with a UK 2001 bugeye does show the details

Thank you for your message regarding your required Certificate of Conformity.

This Organization issue Certificate of Conformity (COC) for cars previously registered cars in Japan and exporting from Japan.

Please note that the Certificate of Conformity(COC) is issued by this Organization, as all vehicle manufacturers and the Bureau of Transportation in Japan do not provide service to issue certificate/supporting document for vehicles.

Further, the COC issued by this Organization is not focused to any specific country or region, but for all countries and continents.

The indications on the certificate include the following:

Country of Origin, Maker name/address/logo mark, Model name/year/code, Chassis number(VIN number), Specification/Classification number(when printed on Export Certificate), Vehicle specifications, Emission values, EURO category equivalency, Certificate issue place/date/number.

The content of emission values consist of CO2, CO, NMHC or HC, and NOx.

All indications including emission values are based on Japanese regulation(standards) and data record released by the vehicle manufacturer from the manufacture year.

The issue fee per vehicle is Japanese Yen 50,000 (see currency exchange rate).

To proceed to payment page, click here

Payment is accepted by credit card or wire transfer (telegraphic transfer) only.

If you want to pay by wire transfer, please read Terms and Conditions and send remittance to following Japanese Bank.

• Name of Bank : Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation

• Name of Branch : Setagaya Branch

• Account No. 5 8 3 9 6 3 0

• Account Name (Beneficiary Name) : Japan Inspection Organization

• Swift code (BIC code) of Bank : S M B C J P J T

• Address of Bank : 1-1-2 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan

To apply for Certificate of Conformity, please complete application form-1 & form-2 and return both forms by Email attachment.

A copy of Export Certificate issued by the Bureau of Transportation in Japan is also required by Email attachment.

If your vehicle is already exported to overseas countries, issue and dispatch of certificate may take up to 8 working days from confirmation of payment.

The tracking number of your package will be notified upon dispatch.

For dispatch of documents by speed courier please inform:

1. Your full name

2. Your full address

3. Your telephone number

Thank you.

Best Regards,

CERTIFICATION DEPARTMENT

JAPAN INSPECTION ORGANIZATION

Tel: 81 3 54811666 Fax:81 3 54811660

E-mail : inquiry@japaninspection.org

Old 23 March 2021, 12:03 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

So if my maths is correct you will make your money back after the 59th time. Not bad at all.
Old 23 March 2021, 12:35 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

So if my maths is correct you will make your money back after the 59th time. Not bad at all.
Pretty much mate. I work as a paramedic inside the North circular so the way work is going I'll have made it worth my while within 2 n half months. Generally doing 6 day weeks atm so the £350 payment seems worth the risk.

Confusing tho as my daily car being a 4.4 v8 range rover petrol meets the emissions level but my saab 2.0 2002 didn't.
Old 23 March 2021, 01:19 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

I don't fully understand it but from what I've seen the bigger engine cars due to their displacement heat the cats up quicker making them better on emissions (at whatever point they do the test).

Now I could be wrong but for the most part the bigger the engine the more fuel it will burn and burning petrol will result in emissions/fumes/toxins/other stuff. Over simplification I know but you get the idea. It sort of feels like the whole Nox thing. We know diesels produce Nox but we won't measure that just yet so everyone buy a diesel. Oh wait Nox is bad so we are clamping down on diesels. We knew this already but its politics.

Like I said Birmingham has gone very strict and I feel like London will go to at least the same level.

Last edited by NOSSY_89; 23 March 2021 at 01:21 AM.
Old 22 April 2021, 08:22 AM
Chuckieb
Scooby Newbie

Hi Bean, just wondering if you had done this yet and how you were getting on? Thanks

Old 25 April 2021, 02:49 PM
Shockin
Scooby Regular

I've no Idea what makes them compliant or not, but I went to pay the ULEZ charge on my 03 STI a few weeks back and my car is exempt.

Old 26 April 2021, 02:19 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chuckieb
Hi Bean, just wondering if you had done this yet and how you were getting on? Thanks

Hi mate

Sorry for late reply. Been busy at work. If I'm honest this all slipped my mind as I need to get down to the unit and get the chassis number as its not on the log book but the yard is a 45 minute drive each way. Was meaning too bring it home but work and lots of other things got in the way. Hopefully I'll have it home soon though or at least get too it and see if this works out for me
Old 09 November 2021, 10:08 AM
VickySmith2011
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning all,

I brought my import Subaru Legacy in December 2020 and before purchasing I checked the ULEZ website to make sure that the car was compliant. I have a print out stating that the is compliant and now they are saying that its not. Its an 04 plate estate. I cant see how they can change the rules just like that.
Old 09 November 2021, 10:34 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Just to make sure we have covered the obvious were plates on the car and thats what you checked.

I know with they had a disclaimer saying it might not be accurate or something. Have you tried contacting them.
Old 10 November 2021, 08:21 AM
VickySmith2011
Scooby Newbie

Just to make sure we have covered the obvious were plates on the car and thats what you checked.

I know with they had a disclaimer saying it might not be accurate or something. Have you tried contacting them.
Hi

Yes I completed their on line form providing the screen print out from last December and the log book. They are now telling that I have to go to Subaru and pay £150 to print out the vehicle details, even through that they are asking for is all detailed within the log book. Complete Joke!
Old 10 November 2021, 12:22 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Its a money making scheme thats all it is.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10 November 2021, 12:54 PM
VickySmith2011
Scooby Newbie

Of course its disgusting
Old 12 November 2021, 02:24 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Try having the exact same car as others that are ULEZ exempt yet when you put your number plate in, yours isnt!

Its just frustrating and no matter who i speak to at TFL are no help at all, i even put a request through Euro Parking Collection, but they came back saying the same.
Unfortunately when dealing with these people they have no idea and only go on the data infront of them. So no idea how some JDM imports have been registered as ULEZ compliant yet mine isnt?

Could it be done to the importer and the model report used?

Last edited by MelTypeR; 17 November 2021 at 12:00 AM.
Old 16 November 2021, 03:44 PM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a ULEZ letter recently too. When I purchased the car JDM Hawkeye 2005) in Jan 21 it was ULEZ compliant. I had a vrn change in Feb and now it isn't. I've soken to tfl and the first chap said its probably to do with the vrn change. Just send us a pic of the inside page of the log book and request the details updated. After 3 weeks I had to apply online as the email 'wasn't received'. I have a response now asking for this coc nonsense. I think a fight's on the cards...

Last edited by meth mouth; 16 November 2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 16 November 2021, 11:59 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Sounds very similar to what happened to me, I had to send in a copy of the logbook and came back with we can’t help without the CoC rubbish!
Old 17 November 2021, 05:49 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Sorry haven't been active lately on this thread.

Just an update for everyone on how this all works. Generally imported cars don't show any of the levels on the v5 form. I've spoken to the dvla and managed too find a very helpful lady as she looked up my current car which is a jap import and she looked up my old UK bugeye on the records they carry. She advised me that she can see the information for my UK bugeye but has very limited info on the import.

So the levels for any petrol car to be allowed inside has to be a nox level of 0.08g/km. Newage imprezas appear too be coming in at around 0.05g/km there for under the required limit but import cars don't have these details added to their reg documents so in order too do this you'll have two ways. You'll need to get a coc form sorted. Once you have this, assuming your car meets the limits you'll be able too send these details to tfl and basically give them the middle finger salute. Bugeyes was generally euro 3 engine compliant however the emissions fell into the euro 4 region hence why some bug eyes are accepted and some ain't.

Email these guys. They do a 24 hour turn around and it's a cost of £165 so to me that seemed the best route. I've already paid a Japanese firm too do it as I wasn't aware of these guys.

https://www.eurocert.uk/coe-order-form
The following users liked this post:
Old 17 November 2021, 08:30 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

so the above link , if i get the report back and it shows emissions do i then get put on a higher tax bracket with the dvla as currently the car is shown as 0 emissions 👍 as it’s a jdm import , i expect the ulez will expand with time if it’s a good earner for the government ☹️
Old 18 November 2021, 05:36 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
so the above link , if i get the report back and it shows emissions do i then get put on a higher tax bracket with the dvla as currently the car is shown as 0 emissions 👍 as it’s a jdm import , i expect the ulez will expand with time if it’s a good earner for the government ☹️
Tfl asked for the coc form so if you update the dvla with your coc form then yes you will pay the appropriate tax or just don't bother telling them.

It was always going to be an easy earner for thrm but stinging thr motorists is always easy as so many depend on their car hence why we are just paying the current fuel prices
Old 18 November 2021, 06:47 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

i won’t tell the dvla , i expect tfl would , i’ve paid for the info , so will see what it says 👍
Old 18 November 2021, 10:52 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
i won’t tell the dvla , i expect tfl would , i’ve paid for the info , so will see what it says 👍
Let me know how you get one with this. I may go down the same route as you too.

Quick Reply: Subaru not Ulez compliant