Sponsored by:

Petrol in Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2020, 12:35 PM
mbwoy84
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Petrol in Engine

Hi, just a quick question really. I have a V1 STi, which I've owned for many, many years. I took it off the road over 8 years ago now to give it a full restoration. Many other cars and many other commitments meant that it was an "as and when" project, hence only getting it back on the road now. I got it MOT'd yesterday and all is well with it apart from an issue with fuel getting to places that it really shouldn't do.

In terms of the engine, it was running as sweet as a nut when I stopped using the car before, but I removed it to strip it down as far as taking the heads off, fitting new head gaskets after a minor clean up of the faces etc and obviously new cam belt, water pump, rocker gaskets etc etc, but nothing altered spec-wise yet. I do have an Alcatek ECU to fit and it will be mapped by Bob Rawle as per all my other Imprezas, but I want to be totally happy with it as it is firstly.

After running it yesterday, fuel seems to be getting everywhere, like it the BOV, the turbo, the plugs are getting soaked and the engine oil smelt off and appeared that fuel had got in there too. Now, both before and since the engine had been removed, I regularly had to take the (new) plugs out and clean them as they were getting soaked. Bearing in mind the car was regularly started, driven out of my workshop and then put back in again later, but never really ran.

Today, I have changed the oil, cleaned everything up and taken the car for a good run and so far, all seems ok.

Just for peace of mind really, I'm looking for anyone's thoughts on this. Is it likely the fuel issue could just have been caused by the car being choked up by lack of use, running time, running up to temperature etc. Or is there something else I need to be looking at? A seal or something gone somewhere?

Another point is, I haven't had the turbo rebuilt or anything yet. It seems fine, but would like to get it rebuilt before mapping.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, but as said, it seems much better with fresh oil, a good clean up and a decent run so far. Haven't taken it too far yet just until I'm more confident that everything is ok.