Sponsored by:

Best place to get intercooler fitted with new cord

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2020, 07:45 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Best place to get intercooler fitted with new cord

My STI intercooler is battered, so does anyone know a good place that can refurbish the whole unit?
Old 29 June 2020, 12:12 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Or do I need a new core? It's basically the fins on the top that are wrecked or is that still classed as the core? Any advise would be great
Old 29 June 2020, 01:07 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Jaygsi, I was quoted £300 to recore a 2002 top mount which seemed excessive given if I had the facilities I could do it myself for a fraction of that. In the end I cleaned it up, straightened out the fins as best I could and resprayed the STI on it and ebayed it. Was nothing physically wrong with it, it just didnt fit with the condition of the rest of the car. I then bought one from a breakers from a low mileage write off. Cleaned it internally to rid it of any oil residue and fitted. Depending what year car you have you can get a factory yet larger version. By the time I had sold one and bought another it worked out cheaper than the recore. If your interested there is a thread on here somewhere about the dimensions of the various factory TMICs over the years. Pointing out the obvious I know but if you change to a drastically different/more efficient unit you may require a remap.
Old 29 June 2020, 01:17 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Cheers for info, just got a quote through for £350, which i don't think is bad to replace the core. But i don't think its the core thats damaged just the fins. I have already straightened the fins out, but the flys must be getting fatter this year as loads have bent again. Guessing there alot weaker.

So can you get just the fins replaced? I've done what you said and straighten fins and a light silver spray, its still looking good apart from the fins, which won't help cooling.
Old 29 June 2020, 01:20 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Sorry forgot to add. I now have a fine mesh that is positioned in the bonnet scoop to help reduce debris bouncing off my TMIC. Doesn’t interrupt air flow at all. B&Q, £6 in parts including fitment. Velcro tape funnily enough, does the job fantastically. No drilling, chopping bodywork etc. Takes seconds to remove if needed. Think I have probably had one bent fin in 5 years that I can think of.
Old 29 June 2020, 01:32 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

In theory yes you could just get the fins replaced but it would be a ridiculous price. The fins in essence produce a larger surface area to help dissipate heat. Bent ones don’t really affect capability. Broken and missing will at some point. I changed mine purely for cosmetic reasons. One of the reasons I always wanted to stay away from a FMIC if possible. Some of them you see are bashed and battered. They bare the brunt of every Stone, twig. Screw being thrown in their face daily. If you are worried yours is badly damaged you can remove it and clean/leak test it at the same time. It will have oil residue in it and cleaning it out will only help improve its efficiency.