ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone know this car?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2020, 04:23 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone know this car?

Anyone know this car as I have recently purchased it and have no history of the mods. Upon driving it I knew it was quick but had no proof so I booked it in for a dyno run and it made an impressive 351bhp, way more than I was expecting for a wrx. But it would be nice to know exactly what's been done to achieve this.

Last edited by jonnyboy82; 31 January 2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 31 January 2020, 05:03 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

It’s a straight 100bhp increase for the stick on arches!

Have a Close look at the turbo, should see ID markings visible (VF30 or similar)

Look at the injector colour

Intercooler?

intake?
The following users liked this post:
Old 02 February 2020, 08:16 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
It’s a straight 100bhp increase for the stick on arches!

Have a Close look at the turbo, should see ID markings visible (VF30 or similar)

Cant see any markings although its definitely been changed!

Look at the injector colour

Intercooler?

intake?

Cone Air filter not sure on brand?
STI Intercooler upgrade
Cone air filter
Cant see injectors from visual?
Turbo looks to have been changed.

Last edited by jonnyboy82; 02 February 2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04 February 2020, 01:10 PM
SteveKozy
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I run a 2.5 hawk wrx with the same level of power and mine has the following but no way of knowing if yours is the same. PITA

But i run -
vf35 turbo
STI Pink Injectors
STI Intercooler
Full turbo back exhaust inc Up-Pipe, no cats.
Stock Airbox + Cosworth Panel Filter
Forged STI Engine swap with standard (non red) intake (as above)
Old 04 February 2020, 02:06 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have no idea why people bother putting cone filters on if they're sticking with the top mount intercooler.
Stock air boxes are fine for 350bhp, maybe a bit more.
Old 04 February 2020, 02:16 PM
SteveKozy
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Cut Corners
I have no idea why people bother putting cone filters on if they're sticking with the top mount intercooler.
Think a lot of people just think they look "good" and have no idea of the pro's / con's on engines etc.

As long as the car is mapped to run one and its not just been bolted on i have no issue with it, each to their own. I personally would never but that's just me. I know people do it because they like the look and the sound etc. Its horse's for courses right.
Old 04 February 2020, 04:24 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveKozy
I run a 2.5 hawk wrx with the same level of power and mine has the following but no way of knowing if yours is the same. PITA

But i run -
vf35 turbo
STI Pink Injectors
STI Intercooler
Full turbo back exhaust inc Up-Pipe, no cats.
Stock Airbox + Cosworth Panel Filter
Forged STI Engine swap with standard (non red) intake (as above)
I guess without stripping the engine down i'll never know the full extent of the mods. Shame really but I have the rolling road print out @ 351bhp so I can live with it.
Old 04 February 2020, 04:36 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 280 Likes on 250 Posts

If you've had a map check and alls ok leave it alone and enjoy don't push your luck
Old 04 February 2020, 07:16 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Cut Corners

One reason for me is the sound, my car was mapped on an induction kit and I love the sounds it makes. I’ve swapped back to airbox before & it feels like it strangles the car to me it just seems to lose the partial throttle eagerness to spool but I’m told by the internet it’s placebo. But one thing’s for sure it sounds way more interesting on the induction kit, turbo noises fluttering away like a rally car when you let off and sucking like a dirty hoe on boost.

Many times over the past 7 years I’ve swapped to the stock airbox & std STI backbox (keeping the rest of the turbo back performance system in place) and the car feels totally numb in comparison. It totally loses that aggression and eagerness IMO.

My car is an occasional toy and I like the noise of the induction kit and it adds to the experience of the car, it sounds faster (even if it isn’t) which suits me.
Old 05 February 2020, 10:43 AM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswrx
One reason for me is the sound, my car was mapped on an induction kit and I love the sounds it makes. I’ve swapped back to airbox before & it feels like it strangles the car to me it just seems to lose the partial throttle eagerness to spool but I’m told by the internet it’s placebo. But one thing’s for sure it sounds way more interesting on the induction kit, turbo noises fluttering away like a rally car when you let off and sucking like a dirty hoe on boost.

Many times over the past 7 years I’ve swapped to the stock airbox & std STI backbox (keeping the rest of the turbo back performance system in place) and the car feels totally numb in comparison. It totally loses that aggression and eagerness IMO.

My car is an occasional toy and I like the noise of the induction kit and it adds to the experience of the car, it sounds faster (even if it isn’t) which suits me.
You know what, you make a really good point. You're right that sound and feeling are also really important to enjoying a car.
Old 06 February 2020, 04:19 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
If you've had a map check and alls ok leave it alone and enjoy don't push your luck
Not had a map check just been on rolling road and they said it's producing a healthy 351bhp but they said slightly laggy? What do they mean that turbo spool is slow?
Old 07 February 2020, 04:42 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 273 Likes on 236 Posts

If the turbo has been changed for a larger one then it will be more laggy , basically takes a while to come on to full boost , 3200 rpm up is not un common , a smaller turbo less boost but less lag , my 2.5 fsti is on full boost around 2200 rpm so makes it quicker off the line , big turbo more metal to spin up so more lag , small turbo less weight to spin up less lag
Old 08 February 2020, 07:17 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
If the turbo has been changed for a larger one then it will be more laggy , basically takes a while to come on to full boost , 3200 rpm up is not un common , a smaller turbo less boost but less lag , my 2.5 fsti is on full boost around 2200 rpm so makes it quicker off the line , big turbo more metal to spin up so more lag , small turbo less weight to spin up less lag
Great explanation thanks!
Old 08 February 2020, 09:36 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyboy82
I guess without stripping the engine down i'll never know the full extent of the mods. Shame really but I have the rolling road print out @ 351bhp so I can live with it.
just get a torch and look down the back left hand side, you will see the turbo and it will have a stamp with the model.

i would imagine it’s running Sti injectors, but again just look at the injectors if they’re pink then they are STI, if blue then they are WRX.