ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Legacy Spec B owners

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2019, 09:29 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Legacy Spec B owners

been looking at one recently, what are they like to live with as a daily?

j
Old 24 April 2019, 05:50 AM
ProdriveTim
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven’t got a Spec B but a Blitzen with the 2l twin-scroll as a daily. Mine is a manual remapped to just over 300 HP. I’ve run it for a year and a half without missing a beat. It’s surprisingly lithe on the B roads but the 5 speed box isn’t suited to motorways. Thoroughly recommend one plus great for getting all the fishing gear, dog, etc, in.
Old 24 April 2019, 02:16 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

cheers for the reply tim, the 5 speed box is a concern, what does it top out at?
Old 24 April 2019, 02:35 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run my '07 Spec B wagon for 3years or so on the road. To be honest they are brilliant as a daily driver. You can put 4 people in them in (relative) comfort, or put the seats down and fit a wardrobe in the back.

Yes they use a bit of fuel but for a 3.0L petrol doing short and long runs what does one expect, and they aren't as bad as a turbo Impreza, in my experience anyway

I have done nothing but service/basic maintenance on mine and at 128,000 miles it doesn't need anything more. Ok its had a new pair of Bilsteins on the front (this transformed the car) and various joints, bushes, disks, aux belt etc etc but the gearbox has been faultless and the engine doesn't use any oil.

Unlike the Imprezas, the UK Spec B is the one to have, heated electric leather, sat nav (OK its basic), cruise control, a great sunroof, flappy paddles (complete with a fairly slow shift by modern standards) and the interior is a nice place to be.

The H6 sounds amazing on full load and likes to rev. Best of all, the car is worth 3 parts of bugger all. Unfortunately mine is in the higher tax bracket but I prefer the facelift car.

It does now need a Lambda sensor or two, and could do with a fuel filter and another service but there we go.

I've been thinking about getting rid of it but what on earth can replace one of those without spending £10k +.

And bonus, its a Subaru!

Last edited by Robbied; 24 April 2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 24 April 2019, 04:15 PM
ProdriveTim
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamo
cheers for the reply tim, the 5 speed box is a concern, what does it top out at?
I had the limiter removed when it was mapped but haven't topped her out yet. On private roads she comfortably gets to 120mph and that is as far as I've explored. I've got a mildy mapped Spec D at home (360 bhp / 380 lbft) - in some ways the Blitzen is more fun because you can drive her flat out most of the time.
Old 01 May 2019, 08:18 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Pop over here, for all things Legacy.

UK Legacy
The following users liked this post:
Old 02 May 2019, 03:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbied
I have run my '07 Spec B wagon for 3years or so on the road. To be honest they are brilliant as a daily driver. You can put 4 people in them in (relative) comfort, or put the seats down and fit a wardrobe in the back.

Yes they use a bit of fuel but for a 3.0L petrol doing short and long runs what does one expect, and they aren't as bad as a turbo Impreza, in my experience anyway

I have done nothing but service/basic maintenance on mine and at 128,000 miles it doesn't need anything more. Ok its had a new pair of Bilsteins on the front (this transformed the car) and various joints, bushes, disks, aux belt etc etc but the gearbox has been faultless and the engine doesn't use any oil.

Unlike the Imprezas, the UK Spec B is the one to have, heated electric leather, sat nav (OK its basic), cruise control, a great sunroof, flappy paddles (complete with a fairly slow shift by modern standards) and the interior is a nice place to be.

The H6 sounds amazing on full load and likes to rev. Best of all, the car is worth 3 parts of bugger all. Unfortunately mine is in the higher tax bracket but I prefer the facelift car.

It does now need a Lambda sensor or two, and could do with a fuel filter and another service but there we go.

I've been thinking about getting rid of it but what on earth can replace one of those without spending £10k +.

And bonus, its a Subaru!
Jamo,

You know my thoughts. JDM all the way WR Ltd Spec B GT Twinscroll turbo. All the bits of the UK SPec B and more but with lower tax no matter what year. Si Drive on the face lift cars too
Old 02 May 2019, 09:36 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Jamo,

You know my thoughts. JDM all the way WR Ltd Spec B GT Twinscroll turbo. All the bits of the UK SPec B and more but with lower tax no matter what year. Si Drive on the face lift cars too
OK yep agreed the last of the WR versions would be my choice!
Old 26 June 2021, 01:07 PM
daveboring
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have o

have a Spec B 2009 (Sti 6-speed) for many years and it is a great daily driver. Add snows if you live up north.
Old 27 June 2021, 09:18 PM
AJ03TWO
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jamo
been looking at one recently, what are they like to live with as a daily?

j
I have a JDM Legacy Spec B Twinscroll manual 2005, got it back in 2018 and it's been great on long drives and the occasional country road drive with a bit of spirited driving!

Had an Impreza WRX blobeye wagon before and the Legacy is definitely a more grown up car with plenty more poke, especially in the mid range! I'm not much of a launch it like I'm racing all the time as I have no need to but when you need it, it will do what you need it too.

Space wise is more than enough for what I need, family man with two kids and a pram with shopping and more!

Build wise feels fine and not too fussed.

Tuning wise you will hear plenty of horror stories but since day one I changed brakes(braided lines/uprated discs and pads), tyres, full service and did the belt and pump!

Drove it around on Vpower 99 and no issues what so ever!

Over the past year I did place mine up for sale as I wanted to move away from Subaru but due to little interest and 1 viewer later I gave up on trying to sell it and decided to spend more money on the spec B.

So now I have had a full exhaust system, turbo back with remap! And have a couple of bits due.

I might as well enjoy it and see how things tick along for another year.