2005 sti-ppp confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2019, 04:39 PM
SimonCZ
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 sti-ppp confusion

Guys,
Recently came back to subaru ownership with a well looked after and completely standard 2005 widetrack UK sti. The question I have is:
-car had the Prodrive Performance Pack fitted from new, there is a certificate and I have additionally confirmed with Subaru UK and they confirmed PPP was definetely fitted
-strange thing is, however, that as far as I can tell the usual PPP parts are not there: the car has standard sti back box and standard red intercooler y pipe, ECU also seems standard with no Prodrive sticker etc

Really strange, car seems absolutely fine but without putting it on the dyno it's hard to tell what happened here? I know that PPP parts varied from model to model but I'm a bit worried that the car has the Prodrive map on it but not supporting mods, therefore doesn't breathe properly? Any idea? The car was owned by 2 mature owners before me and I don't think they would have had a reason to remove the PPP parts.

Thanks,
Simon
Old 04 February 2019, 06:13 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonCZ
Guys,
Recently came back to subaru ownership with a well looked after and completely standard 2005 widetrack UK sti. The question I have is:
-car had the Prodrive Performance Pack fitted from new, there is a certificate and I have additionally confirmed with Subaru UK and they confirmed PPP was definetely fitted
-strange thing is, however, that as far as I can tell the usual PPP parts are not there: the car has standard sti back box and standard red intercooler y pipe, ECU also seems standard with no Prodrive sticker etc

Really strange, car seems absolutely fine but without putting it on the dyno it's hard to tell what happened here? I know that PPP parts varied from model to model but I'm a bit worried that the car has the Prodrive map on it but not supporting mods, therefore doesn't breathe properly? Any idea? The car was owned by 2 mature owners before me and I don't think they would have had a reason to remove the PPP parts.

Thanks,
Simon
Hi Simon,

Welcome back! The Y pipe on 2004 / 2005 STI's was never done on PPP as the red Y pipe is strong enough already, they only did that on the WRX's (used a blue Prodrive one I believe)
The ECU is only a map flash, so as far as I'm aware there is no physical ECU change, just a dealer flash.

The rear box however should be a Prodrive one. It's not easy to get a pic from Google of a clear pic of what you need to be looking for.
YouTube vid:

There is also a possibility of PPP coming with a downpipe with a sports cat (slightly smaller cat)
Someone here will know more exhaust wise, but no need to worry about Y pipe or ECU. If unsure, any helpful dealer will be able to tell you in minutes if the PPP flash is on the ECU....never know...they may not even charge for that. Only need to plug it in quickly I suspect.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 04 February 2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04 February 2019, 06:16 PM
SimonCZ
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Hi Simon,

Welcome back! The Y pipe on STI's was never done on PPP as the red Y pipe is strong enough already, they only did that on the WRX's (used a blue Prodrive one I believe)
The ECU is only a map flash, so as far as I'm aware there is no physical ECU change, just a dealer flash.

The rear box however should be a Prodrive one. It's not easy to get a pic from Google of a clear pic of what you need to be looking for.
Good to know, many thanks!
Old 05 February 2019, 02:05 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

This is the pamphlet for the MY03/04 WRX STI PPP (part number SAC2564)
Subaru MY03/04 PPP

Info for the MY05 will be similar (apart from the actual map) but part number SAC2586

http://imdomino.imgroup.co.uk/IMGGB/...2?Opendocument
Old 05 February 2019, 04:35 PM
SimonCZ
Scooby Newbie

Great stuff, thank you