ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Fsti engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2019, 09:25 PM
Skye 1873
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fsti engine rebuild

Any advice on forged engine rebuild options on a sg9 2004 Forester Sti the car is running totally fine but like it so much I want to try to future proof engine as it is a keeper,not really interested going above 400bhp.
any advice appreciated.
Old 02 January 2019, 12:59 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Personally don’t do any thing till it breaks , keep original turbo just re map centre delete , the sports cat makes minimal difference , if you change the turbo to a bigger unit the downsides are , more engine stress more likely to fail , more lag , car is quick as it has minimal lag , plus much worse mpg , my friend changed his turbo engine died shortly after and he admitted to me he regretted doing it and should have left it alone , if you want forged after all the above , arp head bolts forged pistons i never did con rods on any of my re builds , better hg , subaru4u you will be around 5200£ for above , richard at fb tuning is good , but seriously wait for it to go but keep it turbo wise as it is , your choice , i’ve had one fsti for 9 years on 180k miles now and other one is now 90k miles
Old 02 January 2019, 07:32 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Skye 1873
Any advice on forged engine rebuild options on a sg9 2004 Forester Sti the car is running totally fine but like it so much I want to try to future proof engine as it is a keeper,not really interested going above 400bhp.
any advice appreciated.
if you intend on keeping the car then get it done asap before it does go wrong and damages your block/heads beyond repair.

choose a reputable company to supply and build and if possible to map aswell, if you have the engine from one place/turbo from another and a different place to map it there could soon be a blame game should anything go wrong. im having my hawkeye sti engine rebuilt this year and im using one place to supply/build/fit and map everything.

the std rods will be on the limit @ 400bhp so get them changed. the whole reason im having mine rebuilt is that the previous owner didnt do the rods but done everything else which is a pain in the ****.

spec the engine higher than what you need (no point aiming for 400bhp and running it at its limit)

you gonna be looking at

new crank
pistons
rods
acl bearings throughout
head gaskets
block seal and o-ring kit
heads overhauled
new timing kit/water pump and uprated oil pump
if it were me i would have the closed deck conversion just incase you ever wanted more power in the future (makes sense whilst the engine is apart)
uprated head studs- a decent upgraded set of 11mm will be fine for 400bhp

that little lot should see you around £5.5k depending on who you use including removal/re-fit

i sent out various emails to different firms for quotes to compare them so get that done aswell.
Old 02 January 2019, 08:15 AM
Skye 1873
Scooby Regular

Thanks for advice some good points for me to take on board much appreciated.
Old 02 January 2019, 09:26 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i think you would be able to use your original crank if in good condition, that will save a bit!
Old 02 January 2019, 09:31 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

The Fsti runs less boost so ringland failure is much less likely , generally due to less boost things tend to last longer , the failures tend to start as hg failure , if that happens then do a full rebuild as bottom end will follow , mine went between 83 to 90 k miles , i was looked at being unlucky as many cars are out there with higher mileage and are fine , due to the lack of lag they beat most cars including other sti off the mark as the mrs showed me when i was in the impreza sti and left me standing still so don’t always be lead by power , a lack of lag is important , a sports cat will put you on full boost earlier but has other subtle changes on how the car drives