turbo blankets

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2018, 02:48 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo blankets

Afternoon folks.

was thinking about getting a turbo blanket because my standard heat shield is loose and rattling a lot, but something occurred to me...

if they reduce under bonnet temps, including temps around a TMIC, and also increase exit velocity of the exhaust gases, could that actually result in greater intercooler efficiency leading to denser charge air, and also the faster exhaust velocity result in the turbo creating more boost, the combination of which creating underfuelling and leaning out of the mixture and the associated problems that causes?
that can't be good if your car is already borderline lean at the top end, surely?
Old 31 October 2018, 06:00 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My initial feeling on this would be unless your map is so marginal already (which it shouldn't be!), then any affect would be containable - imagine the difference summer to winter of air temp and density.

The fuelling map is a matrix of engine load (grams air / second) horizontal axis and rpm vertical axis and is unlikely you'd be running at the top end of engine load at the higher rpms (or really any time if it's been properly mapped)