Sponsored by:

RB320 non turbo

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2018, 02:59 PM
Charlie76
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB320 non turbo

Something like this, i do not own the rights to this picture, picture for attention only
Hi all I'm just looking for some help, I'm looking to get a non turbo Subaru, I've seen one that looks like an RB320, just wondering if anyone has one or know someone that's looking to sell. This is going to be my daily runner so looking for a non turbo rather than a turbo solely because of running costs. Any help in obtaining one would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 24 October 2018, 06:39 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie76

Something like this, i do not own the rights to this picture, picture for attention only
Hi all I'm just looking for some help, I'm looking to get a non turbo Subaru, I've seen one that looks like an RB320, just wondering if anyone has one or know someone that's looking to sell. This is going to be my daily runner so looking for a non turbo rather than a turbo solely because of running costs. Any help in obtaining one would be appreciated. Thanks
even the non turbo versions are totally ****e on fuel so be warned
Old 24 October 2018, 09:22 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

So your after a Hawkeye or are other models like blobeye an option?

As for running costs not much in it. 34mpg if you don't thrash it. 28mpg in turbo model. 6 mpg nothing amazing. Unless your young and can't afford insurance go turbo, non turbos are not that fun to drive. I've had 3, last one was blobeye and was a boring drive as non turbo.
Old 25 October 2018, 12:39 AM
Charlie76
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering a non turbo only because I wanted it as a daily drive, so there isn't much difference then between a turbo and non turbo with regards fuel consumption ?
does a turbo need to be serviced more than a non turbo? thanks
Old 25 October 2018, 06:49 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

service would be eery year like any car.

25mpg on everything lol
Old 25 October 2018, 07:03 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie76
I was considering a non turbo only because I wanted it as a daily drive, so there isn't much difference then between a turbo and non turbo with regards fuel consumption ?
does a turbo need to be serviced more than a non turbo? thanks
not really no

oil change once a year (mileage depending of course) with decent oil and a genuine oil filter
spark plugs every few years
air filter element once every year (only cheap so may aswell)
gearbox and diff oil once every couple of years (mileage depending)
feed it decent fuel so v-power/tesco momentum 99 (NO SUPERMARKET FUEL)

warm it up properly before enjoying its power (i dont mean let it sit on tickover for 10 mins either) a good 5+ miles will get it warmed up properly

let it cool down after a good run (not on tickover or a silly turbo timer,drive the last mile or 2 off boost will be enough to cool it down)

i drive my 350bhp hawk sti daily and have done for over a year without issue,its not even used any oil (it has had a full rebuild though as its the ****ty 2.5) i am soon to be going for around 500bhp and i will use that daily aswell.

subaru's are well built,tough and reliable............its people that usually **** them up. if i were you i would stay away from the 2.5 engine so anything past 2006 as they a poor design and only good once fully rebuilt and forged. try and get yourself a blobeye sti (widetrack if possible) or if your budget allows then try for a jdm car as it has the strongest of all the subaru engines. dont put silly ebay modifications on it like crappy bailey dump valves and hks mushroom filters.
every modification to enhance the performance of the engine will need to be mapped in so its safe so bear that in mind. your ok with a cat-back system but when you start de-catting/induction kits etc etc they will need mapping and its something i recommend as a mapped sti is a great experiance. if your budget is only around £4k-£5k then look for a nice clean blobeye wrx, its not as strong as the sti so be wary of pushing for big bhp, stick to 300bhp ish and it will be fine.

whoever you choose to map your car make sure you do your research on them as a bad mapper will leave you high and dry................

dont be scared of running a turbo impreza just make sure you do your homework 1st

hope this helps
Old 25 October 2018, 08:20 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Non turbos are dog slow yet are still heavy on fuel. Over 10k miles, a turbo would cost £350-£400 more in fuel.
if you want fast but frugal, look at a 330d. 40+ mpg and would keep a turbo honest.