Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need JDM Owners help (Especially STI Type R)

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2018, 04:32 PM
davers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need JDM Owners help (Especially STI Type R)

Hi,

Will try to keep this as short as possible. But basically i want to get another impreza and ive got my mind set on a STI Type R depending on whether the right one comes up. Was reading funkyrimpler's thread and wow i don't want to have to go through that. Especially as i live in Spain.

So my plan is to hopefully buy one and bring it out here and convert to Spanish plates. Yes a ball ache, and no Spanish imprezas are 20k+ for even a rotter of a classic.

Trouble is there are some issues around JDM cars in Spain and i have had a right nightmare going back and too trying to sort it. So i have what we call a Gestoria now, like a lawyer who deals with the Spanish admin system. To find out once and for all if i can have one they said to find the following.
  • A photocopy of a V5 from a JDM impreza preferably the model you want but not 100% necessary. Preferably one that has the "type approval number" filled in.
  • A photo of the metal plate which has the VIN etc on it or the sticker with the serial numbers on.

Only then can they submit a vehicle import check with the homologation centre and be told for definite "yes or no" an import is possible. I realize this is a but unorthodox but im going out on a limb now.

Would be great if someone could help me out, or get in touch if you think you can help me out here.

Last edited by davers; 28 June 2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 28 June 2018, 11:25 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Address here tax and mot here. Bit of a carry on at mot time but theres ways round that.
Old 29 June 2018, 09:13 AM
davers
Scooby Regular

No you misunderstand, my plan is to have it converted to Spanish plates. So would no longer be a UK car, essentially, though long winded, import a JDM to my address in UK, then export it to Spain.
Old 29 June 2018, 09:52 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Sounds like the best option.

Originally Posted by davers
No you misunderstand, my plan is to have it converted to Spanish plates. So would no longer be a UK car, essentially, though long winded, import a JDM to my address in UK, then export it to Spain.
Old 29 June 2018, 11:19 AM
davers
Scooby Regular

Well, before i do that, i need to see if the Spanish homologation will approve it first, and the only way to do that without buying the car first is to give them an example. Which is why i need help.

They literally cant give me a straight answer, just, you need to show us a V5 first of the vehicle type in question, and then we can find out.
Old 29 June 2018, 09:28 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've sold 2 STi Type-R V5 and a V6 to buyers in France and they've had no issues registering them as far as I am aware. Although they were only registered as Subaru Impreza as DVLA wouldnt register them as Sti or Type-R as the variany even though the paper work was filled in to state Sti type-R.
Old 01 July 2018, 10:36 AM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

i have some family living in Spain and my ex's brother has lived in Valencia for 25 years..iirc all of them ran around in UK licenced cars for quite some time (in excess of a year) without trouble...Perhaps once you've got the car over there you could start worrying about it?
Would it also not be possible to buy a JDM within Spain?
As an aside, my plan is to live in Spain within the next 5 years..I love the place..

Trending Topics

Old 02 July 2018, 08:43 AM
davers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAF1
I've sold 2 STi Type-R V5 and a V6 to buyers in France and they've had no issues registering them as far as I am aware. Although they were only registered as Subaru Impreza as DVLA wouldnt register them as Sti or Type-R as the variany even though the paper work was filled in to state Sti type-R.
Spain is still living in the dark ages though, for some things you have to drive 50miles to fill in a form that you then have to take to some place else before returning it back to the far away place. The lifestyle here is great, but when you need something doing, its just unbearable.
Old 02 July 2018, 08:48 AM
davers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyrimpler
i have some family living in Spain and my ex's brother has lived in Valencia for 25 years..iirc all of them ran around in UK licenced cars for quite some time (in excess of a year) without trouble...Perhaps once you've got the car over there you could start worrying about it?
Would it also not be possible to buy a JDM within Spain?
As an aside, my plan is to live in Spain within the next 5 years..I love the place..
Yeah they have been clamping down a lot on that, i've seen people getting away with it for ages, but now they'll just pull you and give you 30 days to start the process of moving onto Spanish plates otherwise they take your car and end up with huge fines. Plus with brexit on the horizon its bound to get worse.

As for buying in Spain, that in itself is an experience, fancy a beat up old mk2 mondeo diesel for back and too, one with 200,000 on the clock and not a single straight panel on it, that'll be £3,000 please.
Old 02 July 2018, 10:02 AM
neil97rs
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a version 5 type r and the v5 just states Subaru Impreza with nothing else on it about the actual model.
So would that be sufficient for you ? Or does it need to specify the actual model ?
Old 03 July 2018, 08:43 AM
davers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil97rs
I have a version 5 type r and the v5 just states Subaru Impreza with nothing else on it about the actual model.
So would that be sufficient for you ? Or does it need to specify the actual model ?
As long as its a Jap import mate that's all i need. PM me and we can go from there. You'd be helping me out a great deal.