ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Do you worry about mileage??

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2018, 10:40 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you worry about mileage??

An old question but what are your thoughts about high mileage on cars for sale??
Does it bother you, or do you buy on condition only??

I've seen adverts for Classics and some have higher mileage than the Millennium Falcon.

Classics and Blobs are old cars now so the odds of buying a genuine low miler is pretty rare..Is low mileage over rated??

Also, if you use yours as a weekend toy, are you bothered about sticking miles on it and how that might affect resale value?
Old 17 June 2018, 11:07 PM
Badgie
Scooby Regular

For me, the condition of the car is the most important factor when buying a car. I've seen high mileage cars that are pristine because they've been owned by enthusiasts and I've seen low mileage cars that are absolute dogs because the owner has bought it and just not cared for it.

Personally, I'd say that low mileage cars are over rated. I don't mind sticking miles on cars. It may affect the resale value but at the end of the day, you should be buying a car because you want to drive it. Not to have it as a garage queen that barely gets driven so you can sell it in the future for profit.
Old 17 June 2018, 11:28 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

that's sort of where i'm coming from..It's the ones that have done mostly urban driving that are the worst...worn gear ****, shiny steering wheel, worn pedals, worn bolsters...a million and one short journeys....It can be hard to tell sometimes if a high miler has done motorway miles though if the gear **** and steering wheel have been changed...Worn writing on the stalks is a good indicator (pun intended).
Old 18 June 2018, 06:51 AM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

As long as the car got good service history and the mot history looks good I wouldn't mind and I use my sti every day don't see the point in keeping it in the garage to keep the mileage low.
Old 18 June 2018, 07:36 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not at all, condition and rot / rust free are the important aspects. Mine has 74k on it and not one bit of rust etc anywhere, few stone chips but that’s expected on a 18 year old car. Low mileage cars DOES NOT always mean the best cars.
Old 18 June 2018, 09:06 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As above, the service history and how it's been cared for is far more important than the milage. Also, on most subarus the mechanicals are a, pretty tough for a performance car and b, relatively easy to repair (not including head gaskets and crank bearings). So I'd be much more interested in the state of the various rust prone areas and the service history than the actual milage.
Ps. My legacy is on 180,000 km...
Old 18 June 2018, 10:07 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd rather a car had done 100k miles on m-way and A roads, than 50k in town.

Most parts that wear are consumables: suspension, bushes, brakes, clutch etc; so if they have all been refreshed in the last 10k, then the total mileage is irrelevant.

The caveat to this is the engine. Even with regular quality oil changes, it's still going to wear over time and compression will drop. Once you starting getting well above 150k, you'll notice the difference compared to a <100k engine (that has been equally maintained).
Old 18 June 2018, 10:30 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

I started off being very precious about my 19000 mile spec C hatch until someone on here pointed out that it's like not ******** your girlfriend, to keep her tight for her next partner.
I also do my own basic servicing, so the history is largely in hand writing, or Japanese. This may put many off, but it's meticulously looked after , now on 41000 in 2 years
Old 18 June 2018, 01:58 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
it's like not ******** your girlfriend, to keep her tight for her next partner.
This is quite possibly the best comment i've ever read on the internet...there is simply so much to enjoy about it.

ps: can i have first dibs on your cast offs?
Old 18 June 2018, 03:51 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Seen plenty of low mileage ****ter's in my time. You can tell whether a car has been looked after properly within the first 10 to 20 seconds usually.
If it's enthusiast owned and looked after well no problem with higher mileage as usually common issues or expensive problems have already been dealt with.
Old 18 June 2018, 04:31 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 272 Likes on 236 Posts

On a plus for high miles , if it’s a 2.5 it’s likley to have been rebuilt engine wise , and probably a forged rebuild at no cost to you , my Fsti is on about 160k miles and has had loads spent on it ,including a forged rebuild , i have loads of receipts for every thing done , it still goes like a stabbed rat , i do love the car girlfriend remark above
Old 18 June 2018, 09:09 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

On a high mileage cars, it all depends on how good the body/chassis has been looked after, rust is always going to be the killer, after all its been driven a lot of miles on uk roads.climate/salt is going to take its toll. mechanicals can be replaced.

Mine is in similar condition to Pete's car......... been well looked after, has a very good underbody , , that still rides really well.......

........as opposed to a wrinkly old slapper that's been cocked more times than john wayne's gun............
Old 18 June 2018, 09:33 PM
ScoobyFC
Scooby Regular

My widetrack blob will hit 100k this weekend. I was worried about how this might effect resale but f**k it, i bought it to enjoy it
Old 18 June 2018, 09:57 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyFC
My widetrack blob will hit 100k this weekend. I was worried about how this might effect resale but f**k it, i bought it to enjoy it
Thats 100ks worth of ENJOYMENT ........