Have i damaged my car????

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2002, 12:56 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all,
I have at last picked up my Scoob and i must say its lovely. Its an STI 6 type r V-ltd. As i was driving home on the M20 i decided to give the car a bit of welly when all of the sudden at around 5500 rpm the car hesitated together with a sort clunking noise (almost like rev limiter) and the CHECK ENGINE light came on. I must admit i c***d my pants so i didnt give it more than 3500 rpm with no more than 0.5 bar boost. I immediatly phone the dealer and he told there was 95 ron unleaded petrol in the car (approx 1/4 tank). So i stopped and put £15 worth of SUL with 1/2 bottle of NF Octane boost. Car did the same thing. What i did notice was that the speedo was not working during these occurences and the turbo timer which came with the car was not connected. After about 50 - 60 miles the speedo starts to work and the CHECK ENGINE light turns off.
The rest of the drive home was done calmly not booting it very much.
Have i had a taste of det?? or is it something more sinister??
Any help is appraciated as im affraid that if i drive it hard i might cause damage.
Regards

Gez
Old 16 June 2002, 09:27 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

My STi had a problem with the speedo which caused the check engine light to come on. It was caused by a faulty kph/mph converter. I believe that when the check engine light is on the car will be limited to a certain no. of revs, so that could be what happened to you. I suggest you get your dealer to check it over.

Also, I would guess that it would take a little while for the engine management system to adjust to running on SUL, so give it another tankful before giving it too much welly.

Old 16 June 2002, 10:36 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dont worry its just the speedo.

The engine management needs a speed reference input, if the spedo isnt working it wont be getting it. Fix the speedo and all should be OK

Cheers
Lee
Old 16 June 2002, 11:33 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Whatever the problem make the dealer fix it just in case its something worse, also give him a bollocking for letting you drive away with 95 octane in the car & not telling you.