ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sti7 Kit

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2002, 08:53 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

All things being equal my car arrives in 4 weeks time. As soon as I get it there will be several changes made to it that will release kit for sale that will be virtually new.

This thread is simply to gauge how many people would SERIOUSLY be interested in buying these items off me. Please only respond if you would be, else you are wasting both my time and yours.

When the kit become available I will post a thread on here and ask for bids by email. Most reasonable bid gets the item and picks up the cost of delivery (unless you want to pick the kit up yourself).

Items will be:
- 4x 17 inch STi7 Gold wheels & rubber (will only have approx 500
miles on them when I come to sell)
- OEM back box & centre catalyst
- OEM rear light set (the pair)
- OEM bugeye headlamp units (the pair)
- OEM spoiler (not the prodrive one but the original "teatray").

Thanks

WB
Old 15 June 2002, 10:23 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest two things - one you put this in For Sale and secondly, reserve your judgement on the lights until you get your car. None of the alternatives (that I am aware of) work with the headlamp leveling control plus the standard lights look good and work well.

I know taste in modifications is a very personal thing, but some of the choices I have seen in replacement lights make me cringe.

Ken
Old 16 June 2002, 01:00 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ken,

Thanks for the response. I deliberately put this thread here for max exposure. Must admit, had not considered the self levelling point.

If the lights turn out to be as good as you think they are then you've just saved me some serious dosh in terms of replacements.

Thanks

WB
Old 16 June 2002, 02:41 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

You gotta love them lights, a big improvement over the originals, and I personally prefer them to morettes..
Old 16 June 2002, 10:52 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Andy. I'm going to hold fire on the lights until I see & use the car in the metal.

WB
Old 16 June 2002, 11:44 AM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't change the lights, they are very very good. e-mail me off-line i may be able to sort out some decent bulbs for you
Old 16 June 2002, 11:58 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yeah agree the lights are a big improvement. Keep them. Youll soon get to like them.

Chip
Old 16 June 2002, 05:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

WB

For guidance, I would put a value as follows:

- 4x 17 inch STi7 Gold wheels & rubber (will only have approx 500
miles on them when I come to sell) - seems to be £500 to £600 or thereabouts from those that have sold on here.

- OEM back box & centre catalyst - worthless.

- OEM rear light set (the pair) - also worthless, unless you happen to find someone that has been rearended and is repairing it themselves.

- OEM bugeye headlamp units (the pair) - keep them - they are as good as Morettes, and as far as I am aware it will be as much hassle for you to change as it is to put STi lamps into a bugeye - the levelling motor wiring is totally different.

- OEM spoiler (not the prodrive one but the original "teatray"). - again, worthless I am afraid.

Sorry about the "worthless" comments, not meant as a criticism, but there are thousands and thousands of garages in the country cluttered up with people's OEM exhausts/wings/lights; and don't want you to be disappointed.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 6/16/2002 5:31:20 PM]
Old 16 June 2002, 06:11 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Thanks for the info. It at least helps me to manage my own expectations. Shelf going up in the garage then to store the items bar the wheel/tyres. Will email you later on tonight on the lights.

JGriff, will also email you later tonight to get your suggestions for bulbs.

Thanks for your respective inputs, very valuable indeed. That's where this forum really comes into its own.

Cheers

WB
Old 16 June 2002, 09:36 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Dave, I like reading your posts, but don’t fully agree on this occasion. I understand fully that your post is not meant to be critical and I certainly do not take it as such. Fully agree that there are numerous OEM parts cluttering up garages up and down the country, God knows, I have enough myself!

However, it is always surprising what people want to buy...and also the reasons why. I sold my Sti-7 OEM back box for £150 to a lad down in England. He had ordered a brand new WRX and wanted a single pipe back box without the noise of a Scoobysport, Magnex, etc.

I had also fitted the clear side indicators and reflectors and then got good money for my orange front reflectors/indicators. The fellow that bought them wanted to experiment with painting them. In fact, I didn’t advertise them; I was approached to sell them.

My advice to WB would be advertise the lot when the time comes and sit back and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised...I was.

JAC

Old 16 June 2002, 10:53 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

WB,

I'll make you an offer for your wheels!

Korky
Old 17 June 2002, 08:54 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Jools

Fair point, and agree WB *should* advertise the bits as he might be pleasantly surprised.

£150 for an OEM STi7 backbox - canny Scots, eh?

PS - anybody want to buy an STi7 OEM backbox - £150, oh, and a set of bugeye lights, MY01 WRX OEM rear wing in red mica, MY01 OEM grille.....
Old 17 June 2002, 06:59 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

OK Korky, will give you a shout when I get them.

Ta

WB
Old 17 June 2002, 09:39 PM
STiSteve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Wacky,
Nice to meet you and have a natter on saturday, hope the car arrives soon M8,
Steve & Jill
Old 18 June 2002, 01:30 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Steve,

Great to hear from you. I did post a thread on "Non Scooby Related" when I got home on Saturday last but you obviously did not see it. It was really nice meeting you and Jill. Fellow enthusiasts with understanding partners in tow are a very rare breed indeed!

Seems you have caught the dreaded upgrade/modify bug as I have. Must start taking the tablets again (LOL).

Your car looks awesome, can't wait for mine to arrive so I can start to have some serious fun & mould it to the way I want to see it.

It will be a wrench to see the wagon go as she has been a source of great driving enjoyment. Still nothing stands still forever.

Roll on month end. The STi cometh.

All the best to you & Jill.

WB
Old 18 June 2002, 07:56 AM
STiSteve
Scooby Regular

Red face

wacky,
Thanks M8, I didnt think to look in "non Scooby Related" Doh .
I guess we are lucky blokes, seems lots of peeps on here have problems getting the other half interested in the Scoobs let alone telling them to spend money on em .

Look forward to meeting you again.

Roll on the end of the month eh,

Steve
Old 18 June 2002, 08:14 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Why is a catted centre section 'worthless'? New catalytic convertors are £££ so a used one should at least be worth 50-100 quid. That's just taking the value of the platinum inside of the cat in account.
Old 18 June 2002, 08:54 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Neil
Don't be a dick mate , how many people do you know that want to buy an OEM STi7 centre section right now? Do you need one? have you sold yours?

In two or three years or so someone might want to replace one, but now? So it's going to sit festering in the garage.....

The scrap value of the precious metals in a cat is negligible when you subtract the cost of recovering them.
Old 18 June 2002, 09:44 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave,
Your direct approach (with an added good sense of humour) made me laugh yesterday morning and again this morning. Like your style M8.

WB,
Interesting to read you had a wagon too. I had a MY99 with all sorts of goodies, 17" OZ Super T’s, PIAA’s, Rear Sti Spoilers, Quick shift, straight through system, up rated brakes and the damn thing was chipped as well. Used to keep the 4-doors quite and hassle the P1’s something silly!

The one thing I already notice big time is the practically of the 5-door. Been caught out a few times with various things that would have been no problem in the old car, least of all, a complete set of alloys (with tyres) for the track, used to sit nicely across the back. Bought a loft ladder and the damn thing wouldn't fit in the car, had to tie the boot lid open. Had to take the wheels of the kids bikes at the weekend to fit them in, etc.

However, you will love the Sti, completely different ball game and oh so much better. Done over 7K now and made a few changes. Got a wife that is desperate for me to change the lights, the alloys, make it faster...Problem is she also wants to extend the house and go on holiday three times a year. (The Isle of Man trip does not count as a holiday by the way, but we are all going!)

Jools

[Edited by Jools - 6/18/2002 9:46:02 AM]
Old 18 June 2002, 09:48 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jools
I do know Neil quite well, otherwise I would have been more polite to a stranger - eh Neil
Old 18 June 2002, 10:44 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

LOL@Dave

I was'nt just thinking of an STI7 centre section. I was thinking in general. Seriously, new cats are between 400 and 700 quid and if yours goes then it could mean an MOT failure. Therefore it's cheaper to find out a second hand catted centre section for say 50-100 quid than buy a new one with cat for 400-700 quid.In a few years time even STI7 catted centre sections will fall under this catagory

This is also true for non scoobs, there was a fuss a year or so back about cats failing on cars and costing the owners serious money to put right.

Therefore Catted centre sections are'nt worthless

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 6/18/2002 10:56:27 AM]
Old 18 June 2002, 12:59 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Neil
But just like that family heirloom waiting to be discovered on the Antiques Roadshow, they've got to spend a year or two languishing in your garage roof first.....
Old 18 June 2002, 03:57 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I can just see scoobynet members turning up to antiques roadshow with MK1 Scoob centre sections.

Scoob Owner, "It's a MY99 centre section from a 4 door that had the PPP fitted in 2000"

Hugh Scully, "Actually. if you notice the slight bending on the flanges means it was fitted by Prodrives Mike Wood's understudy who was a trainiee from 1999-2000. The slight scratching on the underneath means that the car was grounded a few times when taking craner flat out."

Scoob owner, "Yes I wondered what that noise was"

Hugh Scully,"Do you have any idea as to what it's worth today?"

Scoob owner, "Dave TS from scoobynet said it was worth about the same amount as a pint of beer.

Hugh Scully,"If you have a faulty catalytic convertor then it could be worth nearly a 100 pounds"

Scoob Owner(sounding hopeful for more money),"Wow! What if I don't have a faulty cat?"

Hugh Scully,"Then the next round is on you."

Better stop now before this gets muppetised..

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 6/18/2002 3:58:05 PM]
Old 18 June 2002, 04:03 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

ROFL

Neil, do some bloody work.....
Old 18 June 2002, 09:01 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dave, Neil, what's with you guys? Can I have some of what you are both on please?! (LOL)

Jools, I bought the wagon for its practicality. IIRC my lad was 5 years old and we could not go anywhere without a shedload of nappies, a years supplies of clothes, a mountain of toys, etc etc (get the picture?). Its standard apart from the air con, full window lifters linked to the cat 1 alarm, and a bespoke hifi system (the wife took one listen to the OEM stuff and without hesitation she said "that bag of sh$te will have to go!")

The comment has always stuck in my mind as she almost never ever swears, so it shos how bad the OEM system was.

Now the boy's older and has migrated to gameboys and comics I don't think we will miss the wagon as much. However I do note that the boot of the STi7-4 door isn't as roomy or easily accessible. Still, small price to pay for a massive grin on my face.

The next couple of weeks waiting are going to be sheer hell. Need to dig out the auld engine acceleration wav file, stick the computer speakers on at full blast......
Old 19 June 2002, 08:46 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dennis

In my case, it's middle age irony. In Neil's, he's just middle aged

(BTW Neil, have you sold your exhaust centre section yet )
Old 19 June 2002, 09:29 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

LOL@Dave.

I have a centre section, but it's being saved to use as a firework launcher come Nov 5th

I'm also not as middle aged as you
Old 19 June 2002, 01:19 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Also LOL @ Neil (as usual )

True, but I don't look it

Sorry, must get this thread back on track......
Old 19 June 2002, 04:06 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Dave,

In spite of your protestations you've never lost the knack of muppetising a thread so that it's in imminent danger of being muppetised.

Old habits die hard.

Old 19 June 2002, 04:40 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

ROTFL

I am sure that episode is being televised this weekend....

Quick Reply: Sti7 Kit