ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Would you by it?

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2002, 04:12 PM
rjben
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My UK97 Scoob is looking the worse for wear with lots of stone chips and parking dents and a few bumper scrapes. Basically I want to get it sorted with resprayed bonnet, bumpers and some of the pannels that have the parking dings in. They say they can base the rest of the car to match all the pannels and gaurantee this. The paint shop is repuatbale and their work looks good.

Basically would you by my car if you knew it had paint? Should I get before and after pics to prove that its not had a bump? How much is a UK97 FSSH 80K worth if it's got mint body work?

Cheers,

Rob

Edited to say BUY not BY in title! Doh

[Edited by rjben - 6/14/2002 4:13:54 PM]
Old 15 June 2002, 12:28 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Stone chips etc are a fact of life To be honest, I'd rather buy a painted car than one with chips, aslong as it was a god job obviously! I'd deffo take some photo's if you have the work done, no doubt when you come to sell you'll get some maniac round convinced it's a write off repaired using marmite and drinking straws! I kid you not, I've seen people checking for filler with magnets.... ON TVR'S!!!!

Bob
Old 15 June 2002, 12:36 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

what colour?? what wheels?
Old 15 June 2002, 12:41 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

I'd probably get the dents sorted and give the rest of the car a real good polish, at that sort of mileages I dont think it would make a huge difference to the resale - but I'm no expert.

I have seen some pretty poor resprays in the past - you can tell they've been resprayed when you park them under a street light.....
Old 15 June 2002, 07:58 PM
rjben
Scooby Regular

SiDHEaD,

It a DBM Wagon with 18 Super L's, got a dawes, blitz and magnex bb and catless CC.

cheers,

Rob
Old 15 June 2002, 08:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

You would do better to return it to standard spec. no-one wants a modded car.

Add that to chips and dents and its going to look like its had one hell of a hard life!!

A standard car cleaned and polished will return you real money - a modded, resprayed car will not be a wanted car, sorry.

Pete
Old 15 June 2002, 09:29 PM
rjben
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Your right. When I bought the car it was standard and I didn't want to buy a modded car. I then put all the bits on within a month. What sense does that make ;-> When I sell it I'll probably get ride of all the mods except the pipe and put the original alloys on.

I wouldn't have thought the new paint would have been a problem though as long as its a top job? I don't want to sound argumentative here, would you rather have a clean car rather than a load of chips and parking dings? Anybody else’s opinion would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 16 June 2002, 09:23 AM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

If you want more prospective buyers then sort the paint,as saying there are no stonechips etc could be a selling point.If you think this will put people off,then get a receipt from the garage specifying that the work carried out was to tidy up the imperfections and not some smash.
The alternative to this is to offer a buyer the car at a slightly lower price if they sort it themselves,maybe providing them with a quote for the price of the work.
Old 16 June 2002, 10:53 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rjben

I was looking at it from the view of a buyer AND seller

Of course, the buyer wants a 1 owner, UK spec, Standard car with FSH ................... or they compromise.

The seller looks at realising the most hard currency - if a top respray costs, what? £1000? - would you be better knocking £1000 OFF the price and therefore undercutting your competition and selling fast OR do you spend the money and try to sell a resprayed car at the price being asked for 'Straight' cars??

To my mind, and its only my opinion, I would rather sell 'as is' at a knock-down price - you can SHOW why it is cheaper than the rest. Trying to explain away a full re-spray is nigh on impossible!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Pete
Old 16 June 2002, 12:14 PM
rjben
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Gents,

I think I forgot to mention that I want to enjoy the car a little myself first! I got it a couple of months back at a good price due to the chips and dings, and planned on tarting it up and then selling in 6-9 months. Just wanted to find out what potential buyers would think.

Thanks for the advice,

Cheers,

Rob
Old 16 June 2002, 07:16 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Well Id paint it myself.. I cant even tell myself when I do some... End of the day dont pay if it looks sh1te...

Photos arent really going to prove anything... If they pick up on that then they will be able to tell that it hasnt been in a crash...

Get it done..

Ps... Id look more closely for overspray... wheel arches.. around seals, lights, etc... if you can tell then dont pay till they have sorted it..

David
Old 16 June 2002, 10:22 PM
rjben
Scooby Regular

Sounds like good advice, been in that position before and found it hard to know what is a 'acceptable' job. I suppose if I can tell then it isn't. Thing is, how can you make a garage re-do work because you think it's bad, what if they think it's good?