ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Best brake pads For sti Bugeye

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2017, 07:36 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Best brake pads For sti Bugeye

Hi I'm looking to upgrade my brake pads on my sti Bugeye as it's now running 396 and the oem ones don't seem to be up to the job and wondering what people recommend is the best for fast road use.
Old 03 December 2017, 08:26 PM
man utd
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Carbon Lorraine Rc6
None are better once warmed up Cheers Rob
Old 03 December 2017, 08:37 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate I'll have a look at them
Old 03 December 2017, 10:13 PM
man utd
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would! I've had an Sti,Spec c etc since 03 and there is no better pads once warmed up and there wear the same right down to the metal Cheers Rob
Old 04 December 2017, 03:33 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Bear in mind RC6 make an absolute racket.
Old 04 December 2017, 05:17 PM
Reinhold
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plenty
Bear in mind RC6 make an absolute racket.
I'm new hear looking for same advice. Anything better than RC6s?
Old 04 December 2017, 05:24 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

RC6 is basically a track pad. So it wont be that great until they have some heat through them. I have run RC5+ which is marketed as a fast road / track day combo pad. Brilliant pad with excellent bite and haven't had them fade on me but they also make a racket at low speeds and squeal all the time due to the friction material.

I'm running a set of Hawk Ceramic (HB453Z.585) pads along with DBA discs as fitted by the previous owner and whilst they are OK the pad doesn't have the same intitial bite as the RC5+ and overall I'm going to go back to RC5+ and just put up with the noise as I only really care about managing to stop lol.

Don't rule out DS2500 either. Out of the EBC stuff ie. the coloured series I have tried over the years I have never been impressed so I would not recommend them. Some people slate them others are happy with them. It just depends how you drive, what your prepared to put up with etc.
Old 04 December 2017, 05:30 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkins 1995
Hi I'm looking to upgrade my brake pads on my sti Bugeye as it's now running 396 and the oem ones don't seem to be up to the job and wondering what people recommend is the best for fast road use.
At those power levels the Performance Friction Z rated compound are what I would buy, low levels of dust,they are quite in operation and they perform very well when needed.If you did the occasional track day the Carbone Lorraine pads RC5+ or RC6 would be better suited for you....but for fast road the PF pads are all that you need.SJ.
Old 04 December 2017, 05:37 PM
Reinhold
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
At those power levels the Performance Friction Z rated compound are what I would buy, low levels of dust,they are quite in operation and they perform very well when needed.If you did the occasional track day the Carbone Lorraine pads RC5+ or RC6 would be better suited for you....but for fast road the PF pads are all that you need.SJ.

Are Performance Friction Zs ok on the standard rotors or are the slotted ones better?
Old 04 December 2017, 05:38 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers For the advice lads
Old 04 December 2017, 05:40 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Reinhold
Are Performance Friction Zs ok on the standard rotors or are the slotted ones better?
Perfectly fine with O.E disc.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 04 December 2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04 December 2017, 07:04 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreep
RC6 is basically a track pad. So it wont be that great until they have some heat through them. I have run RC5+ which is marketed as a fast road / track day combo pad. Brilliant pad with excellent bite and haven't had them fade on me but they also make a racket at low speeds and squeal all the time due to the friction material.

I'm running a set of Hawk Ceramic (HB453Z.585) pads along with DBA discs as fitted by the previous owner and whilst they are OK the pad doesn't have the same intitial bite as the RC5+ and overall I'm going to go back to RC5+ and just put up with the noise as I only really care about managing to stop lol.

Don't rule out DS2500 either. Out of the EBC stuff ie. the coloured series I have tried over the years I have never been impressed so I would not recommend them. Some people slate them others are happy with them. It just depends how you drive, what your prepared to put up with etc.
Rc6 work absolutely fine when cold, infact will out perform most pads when warm, but obviously work at full strength when upto temp.
Also the noise you refer to goes when at track temps.
Carbotech is also another top pad to consider also
Old 04 December 2017, 08:53 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Rc6 work absolutely fine when cold, infact will out perform most pads when warm, but obviously work at full strength when upto temp.
Also the noise you refer to goes when at track temps.
Carbotech is also another top pad to consider also
The guy has never mentioned track use from the beginning, only fast road so in relation to the noise going away, its very unlikely he's even going to be in a position to get them hot enough on the road for the squealing to become unapparent. Even after a hard drive on my RC5+ they would start squealing again when doing low speed braking ie. town driving or 30-40mph and below. It doesn't bother me but many people complain about squealing brakes.

Also another thing to consider is if your opting for harsh compounded pads such as RC6 your disc life is also going to be dramatically reduced. There's no point fitting 'race spec' stuff to a road car for marginal differences when there are plenty of other setups out there that will perform great according to the way the car is driven.

People need to understand that fitting the 'race spec' stuff to their road cars isn't always going to give them the best results. To point out the OP hasn't even said what it is about the standard brakes he isn't happy with, is it the inital bite, brake fade, brakes warping, pedal feel etc?
Old 05 December 2017, 07:52 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No mention of discs either.

Poor pad and disc combinations can prove just as bad.
Old 05 December 2017, 10:03 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd got for DS2500 if it were me. Been away from Subaru ownership for quite some time, but do some research on EBC, as they used to be rubbish, and the red stuff pads ate discs for fun

Last edited by urban; 05 December 2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05 December 2017, 10:19 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
I'd got for DS2500 if it were me. Been away from Subaru ownership for quite some time, but do some research on EBC, as they used to be rubbish, and the red stuff pads ate discs for fun
DS2500 have been dire with the Godspeed Rotors I have.
Old 05 December 2017, 07:28 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Default Don't like the break fade and pedal feel tbh mate

[QUOTE=Dreep;11981829]The guy has never mentioned track use from the beginning, only fast road so in relation to the noise going away, its very unlikely he's even going to be in a position to get them hot enough on the road for the squealing to become unapparent. Even after a hard drive on my RC5+ they would start squealing again when doing low speed braking ie. town driving or 30-40mph and below. It doesn't bother me but many people complain about squealing brakes.

Also another thing to consider is if your opting for harsh compounded pads such as RC6 your disc life is also going to be dramatically reduced. There's no point fitting 'race spec' stuff to a road car for marginal differences when there are plenty of other setups out there that will perform great according to the way the car is driven.

People need to understand that fitting the 'race spec' stuff to their road cars isn't always going to give them the best results. To point out the OP hasn't even said what it is about the standard brakes he isn't happy with, is it the inital bite, brake fade, brakes warping, pedal feel etc?
Old 05 December 2017, 07:30 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all your Opinions and advice think I'm going to try Performance Friction Zs
Old 06 December 2017, 09:11 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

always on the shelf here and happy to offer any advice required..........

0191-4103770
Old 06 December 2017, 08:51 PM
Talking Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Performance Friction Zs are the best i've used on my bugeye.. better bite than Ds2500. I'm using godspeeds g hook rotas .. very happy with this combo.
Old 06 December 2017, 09:12 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Talking Dog
Performance Friction Zs are the best i've used on my bugeye.. better bite than Ds2500. I'm using godspeeds g hook rotas .. very happy with this combo.

PF Zs on my Bug with Godspeed two piece grooved discs, great combination.
Old 10 December 2017, 03:33 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
PF Zs on my Bug with Godspeed two piece grooved discs, great combination.
Another vote from me on this set up