ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

I see the forum's gone to hell

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2017, 05:50 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry I see the forum's gone to hell

Man, I used to come on here all the time , hence my Post count !
I dont use it as often even though I still have a scooby.

But the first time I come on here for ages is to post up a WANTED request . I am not trying to sell anything, I just wanted to know if anyone had something in particular but because I haven't renewed my + status I can't even do that.

f0oking place has gone to **** I tell you ....

May as well go back to scooby facebook groups then...

Old 07 November 2017, 05:58 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Yup. Tried to do the same, with the same result. Just hoping to fix my sickly '93 car. Sad times when the forum actually prevents us keeping the cars on the road!

I can kind of understand having to pay for selling with all the traders/breakers and scum scammers about, but am I **** paying for the privilege of just sticking up a wanted add.
Old 07 November 2017, 06:11 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Times are changing.. FB groups spring up... the BBS forums we all know of seem to be so slow these days.
Old 07 November 2017, 06:45 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm an old fart and have spent years on various car forums, but recently bit the bullet and joined facebook after a chat with my son.

Reason being, 10 years ago the forums were more active socially (vauxhall/opel), so I could put a face to a username most of the time as there was always a meet, event etc being organised, either locally or nationally. Nowadays theres almost zero social interaction on forums and everything seems to be organised through social media.

The thing that swayed me into it was that my son showed me how quick people reply to things on facebook groups. He has an MG, so put a post on a group page asking for advice and a part and got 10 replies in 30 minutes, you're lucky if you get 10 replies in 30 days on here.

Sadly it would appear that forums are dying out, and despite me being reluctant to be dragged into the 21st century, I've actually quite enjoyed some of the facebook groups I've joined so far, seems more personal and a lot more interactive.
Old 07 November 2017, 07:36 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Facebook is such a diabolical interface for classifieds, though (something it was never designed for). Having to constantly check the groups for updates and not being able to find old posts makes it such hard work.
Old 07 November 2017, 08:21 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

and the sign at the top that says upgrade to plus sub without ads, yeah right never heard of ad blockers...sheeesh

All i wanted was a mid level spoiler for a classic in DBM (95H) and can't even ask for that ....

oh well scoobynet loss.

May as well hand in my itrader score as that is pointless as well.
Old 07 November 2017, 08:33 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just ask in general most do that now
Old 07 November 2017, 08:42 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Same for me..11 years a member and all of a sudden i dont have access to certain sections or permission to post in the for sale/ wanted sections anymore.. some of us have been hete longer than the people running the forum these days, its a joke.

Having said that its pretty pointless posting im here anymore anyway as you hardly ever get the answer your looking for mainly abuse.

As above a mainly use facebook groups these days as there are 1000s of members through out the various pages and instant answers or help can be had plus theres always plenty of parts around.
Old 07 November 2017, 09:16 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I find Fb all styling and no substance; largely a load of **** spoken, just my subaru experience
Old 08 November 2017, 06:53 AM
STI450
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Classic forums have mostly died off, this one included. Post useful info and no one says thanks or even replies anymore.

Useful for leaving info online for others to reference as it will get indexed by search engines, and for looking through classifieds, but sadly that's about it. There is no engagement anymore. Not specific to this forum but to many others as well.
Old 08 November 2017, 07:22 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Internet brands are fkd!
Old 08 November 2017, 08:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Farcebook ****ed it by the looks it though
Old 08 November 2017, 09:27 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I still prefer a forum over facebook group any day of the week.
Old 08 November 2017, 09:51 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Just hoping to fix my sickly '93 car.
Time for an upgrade
Old 08 November 2017, 01:03 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finding Facebook full of time wasters and keyboard warriors more interested in having something to say, usually bollox, or to tag some of there mates to slate a price or something. IMO the forums are going through a dark patch but slowly are becoming used again as I find people are, as mentioned above, pissed off with the Facebook style of selling/buying, finding useful info or old posts etc
In time I see enthusiast using forums and clowns using Facebook to discuss/ trade etc
All IMO of course
Old 08 November 2017, 02:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Site's gone the same way as FHI and International Motors/Subaru.

Killed by greed.
Old 08 November 2017, 02:19 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

What we need is a Scoobynet Facebook Group
Old 08 November 2017, 02:41 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most people on the facebook subaru groups call all us scoobynetters idiots, fools and jokers !

i assume because we actually know whats what we sound like old farts when a question is asked and we give proper advice over, hmm, looks sick man !!
Old 08 November 2017, 03:01 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been in the subaru fold since 2009. Was a member of both subaru central and ssc subaru. Both midlands/staffordshire based. Weekly meets at a pub that offered us free chip butties etc and 30-50 cars would be there week in week out. Was local and forum based so could put a face to a name. Great times but sadly thats all now gone. Most have sold up and moved on.
Old 08 November 2017, 04:08 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cjquicksilver
I finding Facebook full of time wasters and keyboard warriors more interested in having something to say, usually bollox, or to tag some of there mates to slate a price or something. IMO the forums are going through a dark patch but slowly are becoming used again as I find people are, as mentioned above, pissed off with the Facebook style of selling/buying, finding useful info or old posts etc
In time I see enthusiast using forums and clowns using Facebook to discuss/ trade etc
All IMO of course

Completely agree with this.

Although I've started attending events again now and that's due to Facebook groups inviting me. I'm also in a local facebook Subaru group which is very friendly and great fun, so not all bad.
Old 08 November 2017, 07:19 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Time for an upgrade
I have a Spec C RA too

The '93 is my pampered baby that sits in the garage though and needs fixed
Old 08 November 2017, 07:43 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i detest facebook and would much rather be in here or 22b where proper enthusiasts hang out. id never buy from a facebook page either heard too many stories of rip offs and people not getting parts they paid for. ive bought lots of times on this forum and never been ripped yet as its usually from names i know who are active around here or from the established traders like matty@mb developments.
Old 10 November 2017, 12:26 PM
Jay kay
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure either way on this one. Facebook has its place and the comment above about FB users slating this forum is in my opinion untrue.

I've seem numerous derogatory comments on here about groups such as Essex Scooby Crew etc. Yes the name is perhaps a tad chavy but on FB, the admin puts up hello threads all the time welcoming those who have recently joined up, they have regular meets each month, including tunnel runs and charity events and have been a really friendly and welcoming bunch of people. I can't 100% say the same about some of the stuff I read on here and often it appears that this forum can be a little stuffy with certain individuals looking down their nose at other individuals or groups. That will not have a positive impact on the forum at all.

There will always be good and bad when a mix of people come together but we shouldn't just be knocking others at every opportunity.
Old 10 November 2017, 09:26 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

As mentioned, the Essex section on here used to be so busy. New threads being posted every few minutes. Now it's dead. Facebook has taken over and the few remaining users on here use the Facebook page now instead.

I prefer the layout of a forum. Easier to navigate and follow threads and search for different topics. Facebook moves so fast that a thread you were interested in will be gone within hours and you miss so much as it moves so fast.

The beauty of Facebook though it's it's so quick and easy to use, particularly on the move. Easy to upload pictures and videos, easy to organise events that automatically set reminders.

Just search an old thread on here and due to so many people using Photobucket and them also being greedy ***** and blocking thousands of peoples accounts and holding them to ransom, most old threads now have no pictures showing. That's not just scoobynet but a lot of forums. It's a shame, I like forums but I think their days are numbered.