Sponsored by:

Questions about the Subaru Turbo 2000

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2017, 10:45 AM
SpeedySpeedBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the Subaru Turbo 2000

I'm looking to buy a scooby, don't want to spend much and I like the 90s shapes so it seems the subaru turbo2000 might be the best option. Just a few questions.

1. What are the running and maintenance costs? I know it's 25mpg which is ok but how often will I have to change oil and service it, how much will those cost each time and can I easily do it myself? Are there other running and maintenance costs I need to know about.

2. I like the sonic blue subaru colour but am I right in thinking the turbo 2000 doesn't come in sonic blue but a dark blue and a normal blue? I was looking at this add
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modified-....c100033.m2042
am I right in thinking that's not a sonic blue?

3. If I bought the turbo 2000 and wanted the sonic blue body would i be able to get a 90s wrx sti body or type ra body and just fit it on, what would be the best way to get what I want?

4. Does anyone know which model this one is, it ust says subaru impreza
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/598269...ubaru-impreza/

5. i don't know what it is but anything with gc8 on it looks so nice to me but im not really sure which model hat means im interested in. can someone tell me what i should be searching for?

Thanks

Last edited by SpeedySpeedBoy; 02 November 2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02 November 2017, 11:06 AM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I started typing a reply to try and answer your questions, then realised there are so many I would be here all day trying to explain.

In summary
Servicing costs - same as any other 20 year old car
Colour - buy a P1 in sonic blue or a JDM, or get a Turdo 2000 and respray it
GC8 is chassis code for a 4 door classic
Old 02 November 2017, 01:50 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Turbo2000 came in sonic blue.
Old 02 November 2017, 02:15 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Sonic Blue wasn't available in the UK unless as a special edition e.g. p1

However, it was available in Europe. Anyone who imported one from Europe could order one in Sonic.

Then they are the models imported from Japan
Old 02 November 2017, 03:50 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

interesting.....i had a MY99 turbo2000 in Sonic Blue...and it was a UK car or so i thought...uk vin etc

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...ovUkw3LTEuanBn

was originally a standard car when I purchased it bar having gold ST-2 alloys

Last edited by Gambit; 02 November 2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02 November 2017, 04:06 PM
reef67
Scooby Regular

Avoid modified unless it's been mapped by someone reputable, of which there are really only a handful, ie de-cat, dump valve, induction kit with no re-map don't touch with a barge pole..

Running costs are dependent on mileage and/or use, 25mpg is do-able Driving like Miss Daisy, realistically it's low 20's/high teens.

Oil change every 6 months or 7000 miles - use quality oil easy DIY job, last oil change on mine cost less than thirty quid using genuine Subaru (black) filter.

Buy on condition and buy the very best you can afford, if it's not got a stack of history, no matter how tempting, walk..

Be prepared to get slated on here because you've got a UK car and not a zillion horse power JDM STi innit Brah...

Last edited by reef67; 02 November 2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02 November 2017, 04:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambit
interesting.....i had a MY99 turbo2000 in Sonic Blue...and it was a UK car or so i thought...uk vin etc

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...ovUkw3LTEuanBn

was originally a standard car when I purchased it bar having gold ST-2 alloys
I still have my red 98 Turbo 2000. It wasn't available in sonic Blue, soething to do with the sponsors of the rally team at the time.
The closest was Redish blue, rather like a bluebell, but metallic.

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2017, 04:33 PM
SpeedySpeedBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickybobby
GC8 is chassis code for a 4 door classic
Does that mean a turbo 2000 is a gc8, since it's a 4 door classic?
Old 02 November 2017, 05:50 PM
reef67
Scooby Regular

Yes if it's a saloon, or GF8 for a wagon..
Old 02 November 2017, 05:51 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpeedBoy

As far as I am aware all classic saloons are gc8's, JDM or UK, i.e it is the start of the chassis code.

As reef says, buy the best you can afford. Go on condition and history rather than colour. My car (UK Turbo 2000, is green - not the colour I would have chosen), but it was largely standard, low miles and was owned by a fellow Hants Subaru enthusiast so I knew its history).

These cars are getting on now and rust is becoming a real problem. Avoid ads that say 'has the usual rusty arches' as if it was a dealer option, doh.

Also don't be fobbed off by what appears to be a small spot of rust on the rear arch - it will be the tip of the ice berg and the start of an expensive job.

Last edited by Nick_Cat; 02 November 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02 November 2017, 05:52 PM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpeedBoy
It CAN be a GC8 but it can also be a GF8 (wagon).

I'm stating the obvious but nearly all non-garage-queen UK turbos will have rust issues to a greater or lesser degree. Pay particular attention to the rear strut turrets, arches and subframe.

I had a mechanically straight MY00 UK turbo wagon for 2.5 years and 20k+ fun miles but I was naive about the rust problems and it was the rear strut turrets and subframe that eventually led to MOT failure. Using it year round in NE Scotland probably didn't help.
Old 02 November 2017, 06:12 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Still running my Turbo 2000 from 2000. Watch out for rust... Oh and I get 270 to 330 miles from a tank depending on the season and driving style. equates to about 27mpg to 30mpg. 3rd is the best gear. full throttle blast from 2nd to 4th mega fun.

Last edited by Richy P1984; 02 November 2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03 November 2017, 04:23 AM
SpeedySpeedBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reef67

Buy on condition and buy the very best you can afford, if it's not got a stack of history, no matter how tempting, walk..
Guys, is it so important to have the service history? Perhaps sometimes the owner is a car guy and does the servicing himself. wouldnt it be ok to just check the oil and condition of the car and check that he knows about how to service himself then maybe take a chance?

I mean I once bought a civic from a someone, he had no documents whatsoever but his car was serviced and ran fine, everything felt good. I took a chance and was quite happy in the end.

On the other hand I once bought a car with no service history and payed through the nose endlessly engaged in repairs but then I never looked at the oil to begin with as I was so excited to buy it.

Anyway if it looks good and liquids topped up would you say its ok to take a chance or is this a no no especially when it comes to scoobys?
Old 03 November 2017, 04:26 AM
SpeedySpeedBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickybobby
Colour - buy a P1 in sonic blue or a JDM, or get a Turdo 2000 and respray it
Any idea how much a respray of a turbo 2000 should be? doesn't have to be a perfect job just want the classic look.
Old 03 November 2017, 10:18 AM
reef67
Scooby Regular

Service history doesn't have to mean Dealer history, it just means having proof (invoices, receipts, photos etc) that the car has had the right service items at the correct intervals. Ultimately it's up to you, you want to take a chance or you want to have some piece of mind that the car has received all the love it needs...which is a fair bit.

Respray I would think would be anything from three grand to infinity and beyond...so at the very least the price of a decent Turbo 2000, which is fine if you are going to keep it forever or money is no object and, if that is the case, just wait for the perfect car in your preferred spec and colour.
Old 04 November 2017, 11:33 AM
Nin120
Scooby Regular

The Terzo is Mica Blue which is a good colour. I looked for a long time before I found mine. Re spray may be your best idea at something like £1500
Old 04 November 2017, 06:36 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick_Cat
As far as I am aware all classic saloons are gc8's, JDM or UK, i.e it is the start of the chassis code.
Only if it happens to have a 2Ltr engine and is AWD.