2003 JDM STI Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2017, 07:57 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2003 JDM STI Battery

Hey guys

I've been recommended to change the battery on my 2003 JDM STI. Simple question, does it use the same type/size/terminal of battery as a UK model of the same age? I've searched and searched and only found info on JDM spec C models where the battery is smaller but nothing on a standard JDM model.

If so is a Yuasa 5000 silver a good choice for my car? It seems to get good reviews for others cars.

Thanks in advance.

Binny
Old 01 October 2017, 08:30 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Have u looked under ur bonnet to see if u have smaller Jdm terminal
Or standard ?

If ur unsure get a pic up for to confirm
Old 01 October 2017, 08:49 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz
Have u looked under ur bonnet to see if u have smaller Jdm terminal
Or standard ?

If ur unsure get a pic up for to confirm
The terminal sizes on the existing battery are 17mm positive and 16mm negative.

A few pics to show the current battery :

Last edited by Binny; 01 October 2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01 October 2017, 09:11 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks like the smaller Jdm terminals, battery wise there will be a few options
There is a company called Tanya batteries just google them they will sort u out. Fast delivery and excellent price wise also

I have the same battery size terminals I ended up buying a optima yellow top Basicly the best on the market from them and cannot recoment it enough.
Old 01 October 2017, 09:56 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

OEM fitment is a 60D23L
Old 01 October 2017, 10:18 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Thanks so far for everyone's help. Reading up on the terminal sizes I found this :

"The standard UK type are easily recognised as they are extremely common. Measurements (at the base of the tapered terminal) are 17.5mm for the negative post and 19.5mm for the positive terminal. Japanese terminals are visibly narrower at 13.1mm for negative post and 14.7mm for the positive."

I guess that means that my car uses a U.K. Battery despite being a Japanese car with clearly a Japanese battery.

Originally Posted by Don Clark
OEM fitment is a 60D23L
Don that's very helpful, thank you... if I knew what it means! The current battery is a 95D23L, as opposed to the 60D23L you're quoting. I'm sure its a simple and obvious answer but what's the difference between a 95 and a 60 D23L (please don't say 35!). What does it mean, I can't find it online?

Last edited by Binny; 01 October 2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02 October 2017, 07:01 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Binny
Thanks so far for everyone's help. Reading up on the terminal sizes I found this :

"The standard UK type are easily recognised as they are extremely common. Measurements (at the base of the tapered terminal) are 17.5mm for the negative post and 19.5mm for the positive terminal. Japanese terminals are visibly narrower at 13.1mm for negative post and 14.7mm for the positive."

I guess that means that my car uses a U.K. Battery despite being a Japanese car with clearly a Japanese battery.

Don that's very helpful, thank you... if I knew what it means! The current battery is a 95D23L, as opposed to the 60D23L you're quoting. I'm sure its a simple and obvious answer but what's the difference between a 95 and a 60 D23L (please don't say 35!). What does it mean, I can't find it online?
Basically...

95/60 = Amp-hr rating
D23L = Battery size/terminal layout

A manual UK Subaru would typically come fitted with a 55D23L and an automatic a 75D23L

Last edited by Don Clark; 02 October 2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02 October 2017, 07:34 AM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Basically...

95/60 = Amp-hr rating
D23L = Battery size/terminal layout

A manual UK Subaru would typically come fitted with a 55D23L and an automatic a 75D23L
Thank you Don. I get trade discount at a large car parts supplier so I'll pop in there and see what they can offer in that size.
Old 02 October 2017, 10:07 AM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Right, so I've just got back from the battery place. With what info I had on model numbers, sizes and car info they have suggested the Yuasa YBX5005 silver battery. It'll cost me a touch over £80. It is however a 65D23L as there is no longer a listing for either a 60 or 95 model. Is that a problem? The guy said it simple means more ampage as Don described above and there is no problem is putting a bigger amp model in, it's simply an overkill.

With my very little knowledge I'm concerned that putting in a lower amp battery will be an issue. Is there a reason why a 95 battery would have been used in the first place other than it was probably the only available model on the shelf at the time?
Old 02 October 2017, 10:22 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Binny
Right, so I've just got back from the battery place. With what info I had on model numbers, sizes and car info they have suggested the Yuasa YBX5005 silver battery. It'll cost me a touch over £80. It is however a 65D23L as there is no longer a listing for either a 60 or 95 model. Is that a problem? The guy said it simple means more ampage as Don described above and there is no problem is putting a bigger amp model in, it's simply an overkill.

With my very little knowledge I'm concerned that putting in a lower amp battery will be an issue. Is there a reason why a 95 battery would have been used in the first place other than it was probably the only available model on the shelf at the time?
A very good Battery - I use one myself

Subaru saw fit to fit a 60D23L from new for the Japanese market.

90D23L and 105D23L seem to be commonly available in the current Asian/Far East markets so I expect it was fitted as "being available".

Unless you have massive amps to supply or a large bank of additional lights then the Yuasa will be more than adequate

Last edited by Don Clark; 02 October 2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02 October 2017, 10:27 AM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Thank you Don. I'll get it bought.

Binny

PS. Tidy bay, looks great.