CS 400 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2017, 07:42 AM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CS 400 thoughts

hi guys,

now the CS400 has been around for a few years what are peoples thoughts on them who have had them or still own them.

I have seen a mint one for sale with full service history etc etc and am tempted to buy it !!!

so any thoughts or help would be much appreciated

thanks
Old 11 July 2017, 07:46 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

I don't particularly like the hatch to be honest but I'd have the cs400 in a breath as I wouldn't need to modify it just enjoy and only 75 made I think so a good investment aswell
it's just wow in my opinion

Still to see one in the flesh
Old 11 July 2017, 07:49 AM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

and the good thing you know the mods have been done not just pieces of paper or a mate done this etc !!

you certainly don't see many around as you say
Old 11 July 2017, 07:56 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

If you can get it bought mate you won't lose out and as you say all mods are done so just maintenance and polishing

It's the only reason I really want a s203/4 one day
Old 11 July 2017, 08:37 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Only problems I have are:

Suspension recalls that were never sorted.
Looks like any other sti hatch.
Leather seats which look naff as they are just original seats recovered.
Naff stereo unless upgraded.

Engine , cosworth badges, future value and exhaust noise being best points.
Old 11 July 2017, 08:44 AM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
Only problems I have are:

Suspension recalls that were never sorted.
Looks like any other sti hatch.
Leather seats which look naff as they are just original seats recovered.
Naff stereo unless upgraded.

Engine , cosworth badges, future value and exhaust noise being best points.
I thought the seats were completely different !!
stereo is an easy fix
different wheels make it look a bit different than any other STI hatch I would have thought

when you say exhaust noise is it loud or a nice burble ??
Old 11 July 2017, 08:53 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tbh at double the money of a hatch Spec C I don't think the sums add up personally... and the only way it's going to be a half way decent investment is if you moth ball it and don't put any miles on it.

They're not "Iconic" so the value is only going to be in the Cosworth engine (which a couple seem to have had poo five issues) and badges also the fact that there were a limited number produced add to it in the rarity stakes.

I can think of many more Subarus for half the money and less that will give a higher % return like the S202 or RAR for instance.

All just my opinion of course... and hey, it's not my money.

Trending Topics

Old 11 July 2017, 01:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Tbh at double the money of a hatch Spec C I don't think the sums add up personally... and the only way it's going to be a half way decent investment is if you moth ball it and don't put any miles on it.

They're not "Iconic" so the value is only going to be in the Cosworth engine (which a couple seem to have had poo five issues) and badges also the fact that there were a limited number produced add to it in the rarity stakes.

I can think of many more Subarus for half the money and less that will give a higher % return like the S202 or RAR for instance.

All just my opinion of course... and hey, it's not my money.
Add special edition and people will be stupid enough to spend more money even if its a downgrade like the P1, as a performance car the type R is far superior and the P1 is a reduced spec Type R, but people will still spend more buying a P1 than a type R, go figure.
Old 11 July 2017, 04:29 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Add special edition and people will be stupid enough to spend more money even if its a downgrade like the P1, as a performance car the type R is far superior and the P1 is a reduced spec Type R, but people will still spend more buying a P1 than a type R, go figure.
Yeah never got the P1 over the Type R thing myself... which is why I own a Type R.

If I was to get into a Hatch it would be the Spec C RA, at least then I could actually drive it without thinking every mile I put on it is reducing the value, same with the 22b I'd never be able to have any fun in one as I'd be too worried about binning it.
Old 11 July 2017, 05:16 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

the last thing I would be doing is worry about how many miles it is doing as a car is made to be driven...

at the end of the day if you are scared about binning a car and the like then you cannot afford to be even driving it ...

just my views
Old 11 July 2017, 05:27 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Yeah never got the P1 over the Type R thing myself... which is why I own a Type R.

If I was to get into a Hatch it would be the Spec C RA, at least then I could actually drive it without thinking every mile I put on it is reducing the value, same with the 22b I'd never be able to have any fun in one as I'd be too worried about binning it.
friend of mine drives his 22b up and down his country lanes like it was a 500 quid fiesta and I say fair play to him ,, he got years ago and has driven it all this time having loads of fun and has made loads of money when it-if he ever sells it ,,, better than locking it up and never using it
Old 11 July 2017, 10:03 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by nikon-man
I thought the seats were completely different !!
stereo is an easy fix
different wheels make it look a bit different than any other STI hatch I would have thought

when you say exhaust noise is it loud or a nice burble ??
Exhaust is a very nice sound indeed!

If I had bought one 4 years ago when I bought my 340r it would still be worth about the same I.e. 35k

I'm all for one, but happy with my saloon.
Old 11 July 2017, 11:27 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

I have been keeping an eye on these over a few years.

3 years ago looked at one at a main dealer for £32k then got a Low miles Blob STI.

2 Years back then looked at a Private sale car for £28k.

Then end of last year there were 4 for sale around Nov all at dealers for just north of £30k. They then dropped in price across the 3 month of winter to I think £27 ish.

Now Cars are thin on the ground dealer are back to asking +30k.

So I think I missed my chance. I was waiting to get to low £20s.

When I first looked at it felt very cheap stepping out of a low miles 130i, Although much faster.

I bought a 2013 V8 M3 for £26k. That was a £60k car new. I cannot in my mind Justify the money on a CS400. The M3 is a great all-rounder with an outstanding engine.

One thing on the CS400 never got the love from the motoring Press that 1M's , R26R, Clio Trophy's got. All classed as landmark cars/icons that make more £ than original retail price. The CS400 does not get a mention even now with talk of 'most powerful hatch' articles on RS3, A45. In my mind none have matched the power/pace of the CS400 yet it gets no mention. If it got pulled into a group test of these modern rivals it would do a lot for its profile.
Old 12 July 2017, 08:23 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't say you've 'missed your chance' just because dealers are trying it on at +£30k...
they're just trying to suck in the last few mugs who are still daft enough to buy in to the current asset price bubble in the mistaken belief that bubbles last forever and prices only ever go up and up and up.
Old 12 July 2017, 09:01 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nikon-man
the last thing I would be doing is worry about how many miles it is doing as a car is made to be driven...

at the end of the day if you are scared about binning a car and the like then you cannot afford to be even driving it ...

just my views
Well yes you're sort of right, I don't want to afford it, £30/80k (22b money) is a lot of money to me, I'm not a multi millionaire, once you crash a car like that it's worth a fraction of the price... also there's the fact that a 22b is a motoring Icon... I've already said I wouldn't buy a CS400 as I don't think they're worth the premium.

But like I said it's not my money... so go for it, if that's what floats your boat.
Old 25 October 2017, 11:09 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nearly parted with mine a few years back. Don’t know what I was thinking as I didn’t need to sell. I was worried it would end up sitting in my garage and not being driven. I make the time to drive this car!

Very glad I didn’t sell. This car has barely depreciated at all in the five years I’ve owned her.

Goes like a stabbed rat and has loosened up further. Is a really fantastic car to attack B roads with and she’s comfortable enough to take long distances without feeling fatigued.

Have just ticked over 30,000 miles and she is running as sweet as a nut.