Sponsored by:

Blue smoke on start up and a whining/grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2017, 09:44 PM
Atsert
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue smoke on start up and a whining/grinding noise

Hi, I have a 2009 Forester Diesel 2.0L (EE20 Turbo Diesel) with 72k miles, which has developed a whine/grinding noise on idle, when revved I can hear it speeding and slowing down, I can’t hear it when driving, I seen a video with a similar noise which turned out to be a PCV valve, mine being a diesel doesn’t have said valve, any ideas please. Also, its developed a puff of blue smoke on start-up, which last a couple of seconds, I have noticed a little puff when driving but not all the time, don’t know if this is related to the above issue or not? I am struggling to find info on line, would appreciate any suggestions Thanks.
Old 28 June 2017, 10:20 PM
Nezscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be your turbo :/ I am 90% sure its your turbocharger :/
Old 28 June 2017, 11:22 PM
Atsert
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that is going through my mind but the turbo is new (renewed before i got the car) and has only done about 4/5k miles, its not the whine of a blowing turbo, sounds more like worn bearings, ive had the belt off and tried all the pullies and idlers, any tips to pinpoint to a bad turbo?

Last edited by Atsert; 29 June 2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 29 June 2017, 12:44 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

too much oil can cause smoke issues , and that's added to depending on angle car parked on , grinding noise best way forward is post a clip as it could be a number of things