Selling Evo for a Scooby!?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2017, 09:10 AM
Ben_r1
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Selling Evo for a Scooby!?

Morning all.

Let me start by saying this is not a trolling thread or another Evo vs Scooby debate and im not simply bragging about the position im in.

Basically I'm very fortunate to own both a Newage PPP Blob Sti and an Evo IX MR FQ360. They are equally amazing in their own rights and a great pair of cars to own. You could say I'm a huge fan of the rally car setup of responsive engines, short gearboxes, huge turbos and four wheel drive!

Anyway as the Evo is far more valuable I find myself in the Scooby for trackdays, weekend blasts and ring trips more and more these days and I've really fallen in love with the car.

The only downside for me is the turbo lag which the Evo doesn't suffer with and when really pressing on wih the Scooby it isn't quite as pin point accurate and the diffs do feel a little 'loose' despite being limited slip.

I was chatting to someone recently at the ring regarding this and he advised me the JDM twin scroll DCCD models addresses all these short falls and what that means is one hell of a fast drivers car, I have to agree I can not imagine how good one would be with such improvements.

So now I find myself in a predicament, I've started looking at JDM hawks on eBay and dreaming.

Is the JDM twinscroll that much better than it's UK counterpart? And either way is it worry chopping the Evo in for?

Many thanks.
Old 16 June 2017, 09:31 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Hi and welcome. Always loved Evo's I would of bought one but can't live without scooby rumble. So are you thinking of selling both for a hawkeye JDM? If so why not import it yourself. I've looked into it looks quite straight forward.
Old 16 June 2017, 09:44 AM
Ben_r1
Scooby Regular

No I'd keep the Blobeye, I've spent thousands on it over the years getting it upto a good condition and some essential mods, it's worth more to me than what someone would pay for it and technically it's my wife's lol.

Evo for a hawkeye JDM twinscroll with DCCD in black, blue or white...
Old 16 June 2017, 09:50 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Why not just convert the Blob to a twin-scroll set-up?
Old 16 June 2017, 10:08 AM
Ben_r1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Why not just convert the Blob to a twin-scroll set-up?
whats involved? Realistically how much will this cost?

Also the blob is a non DCCD I'm not entirely sure how much benefit that provides, I read differing opinions, but if it could taught up the diffs locking actions much like the Evos ACD/AYC does that'd be very beneficial for me.
Old 16 June 2017, 10:11 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I had both an evo VII-RS and a scooby at the same time as well, but sold the evo.

The evo was more competent than the subaru imo, but it was also a bit soulless and (others may disagree) it felt a bit more detached than my subaru. It made things too easy for a toy, in my opinion.

Personally, id always go for more fun over fast (or objectively better).
Old 16 June 2017, 10:17 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben_r1
whats involved? Realistically how much will this cost?

Also the blob is a non DCCD I'm not entirely sure how much benefit that provides, I read differing opinions, but if it could taught up the diffs locking actions much like the Evos ACD/AYC does that'd be very beneficial for me.
Exhaust and turbo swap + remap. They come up for sale quite often on here.
Old 16 June 2017, 10:29 AM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Exhaust and turbo swap + remap. They come up for sale quite often on here.
plus a 2.5 engine sump
Old 16 June 2017, 10:52 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smithys STI
plus a 2.5 engine sump
Yes I thought there may be a sump swap involved but couldn't remember from which model.
Old 16 June 2017, 11:41 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Twin Scroll Swap

Sump
Oil Pick Up
Dipstick (I think)

Manifold
Uppipe
Turbo
Downpipie

Re-Map

Theres a nice twin scroll MDX for sale on here now i believe
Old 16 June 2017, 11:42 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/par...y=&searchPart=
Old 16 June 2017, 01:27 PM
Ben_r1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
I had both an evo VII-RS and a scooby at the same time as well, but sold the evo.

The evo was more competent than the subaru imo, but it was also a bit soulless and (others may disagree) it felt a bit more detached than my subaru. It made things too easy for a toy, in my opinion.

Personally, id always go for more fun over fast (or objectively better).
I'd have to agree, I was always in the Evo camp of the two before I'd driven both. I've no doubt the Evo would be quicker around the track, however it lacks a certain personality and charm that the Scooby has tons of.

I really would like to try a JDM Hawkeye, I feel it'd be the best attributes of both my charismatic Blob and Instantanious/urgent power delivery of the Evo
Old 16 June 2017, 01:37 PM
SubieJack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to agree, I was always in the Evo camp of the two before I'd driven both. I've no doubt the Evo would be quicker around the track, however it lacks a certain personality and charm that the Scooby has tons of.

I really would like to try a JDM Hawkeye, I feel it'd be the best attributes of both my charismatic Blob and Instantanious/urgent power delivery of the Evo
But half the personality comes from the turbo setup. I.e. turbo lag etc. Reasonn the evo doesn't have a personality is because it's too well setup etc.

Keep the blob as it is and keep the evo - you've then got the best of both worlds. I guess you could have two scoobs, but don't change the blob at all.
Old 16 June 2017, 01:46 PM
Ben_r1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SubieJack
But half the personality comes from the turbo setup. I.e. turbo lag etc. Reasonn the evo doesn't have a personality is because it's too well setup etc.

Keep the blob as it is and keep the evo - you've then got the best of both worlds. I guess you could have two scoobs, but don't change the blob at all.
thats true, when racing or timing myself at tracks the scoobies lag is frustrating, but on a B road blast with some mates that boost kick at 3k is a thrill.

Perhaps I need invest even more into the Blob, I'm thinking bigger brakes, hugging buckets and a cage!
Old 16 June 2017, 05:32 PM
lewis87
Scooby Regular

Don't trade it, upgrade it!

​​The single scroll feels faster because of the big hit when the boost kicks in, and the burble is a big part of the enjoyment for a lot of people.

If you want to drive very quickly then you can drive to suit the power delivery, just like you would drive anything with peaky power delivery whether that be a mad 600cc bike with 14000RPM rev limit or a VTEC Honda.
Old 16 June 2017, 05:52 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem so I went and bought them all, Inlcuding a pulsar & a skyline
Old 16 June 2017, 07:01 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

First thing i thought of when you said turbo lag, my UK turbo doesn't have much lag, but my old WRX import had loads, and threw you back in your seat when it all kicked in. No good for a track, but great for road use.

thats true, when racing or timing myself at tracks the scoobies lag is frustrating, but on a B road blast with some mates that boost kick at 3k is a thrill.

Perhaps I need invest even more into the Blob, I'm thinking bigger brakes, hugging buckets and a cage!
Old 16 June 2017, 09:25 PM
786evo8
Scooby Regular

Get the gc8 type r.. has dccd which make a big diffrence on track.

2doors....

style and speed all the way.

Rwd for fun
Awd for track fun.

Job done
Old 16 June 2017, 09:27 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Got to the doctor and get your Brain examined , you have one of the best evos ever made , crazy man
Old 16 June 2017, 09:29 PM
786evo8
Scooby Regular

Btw I had a evo8 mr.... loved it... but was to easy to drive on track and overtook everything. My gc8 type r is more hard work and not as easy to get fast times me but I'm enjoying the rewards for my work.
Old 16 June 2017, 10:46 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Hi mate cant comment for the evo side of things as never even been in one. But have owned a bug sti prodrive and currently own a JDM Litchfield hawk type 20 between them both I find is night and day. All things you have stated with the uk are spot on. The JDM turbo kicks in at about 2.6/2.7k revs and will just pull and pull all the way up to about 8000rpm as you do get the extra rev range with them. You well
I don't really find it has much turbo lag at all and they sound more like a sports bike on full chat.
Old 16 June 2017, 11:17 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I've not owned an Evo but driven a couple. Great cars......which is the problem in my opinion. Little lag, great handling, rapid, but no personality whatsoever. You just get in it, drive, and it's all a bit too easy to go quick No matter who you are.
Old 17 June 2017, 12:19 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

I disagree with that, it all depends on spec. I currently have a 400bhp Scooby running a gt30 and a 556bhp Evo 8 and the Evo is way more fun, more character and tons more drama. Everything about it is better.

The problem is everyone has their own tastes and react differently to different things. What tickles my fancy might not tickle your fancy.
Old 17 June 2017, 10:52 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i will throw another one in the picture , forester sg sti , boost is always there as it's a smaller turbo it's on full boost before 2200 rpm , a great sleeper cheaper to insure and great mpg when you want to drive it carefully , i have had about 7 scoobies but now happy with the forester so bought 2 of them plus still have my jdm sti wagon , which the forester destroys at the lights due to the lack of lag
Old 20 June 2017, 09:02 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Got to agree, only reason Subaru's are more popular is theres more of them about and prices are alot cheaper on alot of Impreza's due to the amount of them.

Originally Posted by Wull
I disagree with that, it all depends on spec. I currently have a 400bhp Scooby running a gt30 and a 556bhp Evo 8 and the Evo is way more fun, more character and tons more drama. Everything about it is better.

The problem is everyone has their own tastes and react differently to different things. What tickles my fancy might not tickle your fancy.
Old 21 June 2017, 08:26 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TBH I have more fun in slower cars than I do in fast ones, which is why I've gone in the opposite direction and now drive a MK1 Golf TD.

Knowing what I know now I should have gone with my original plan of getting a Mazda MX5 for track and sprints instead of my STI Type R... the Type R is fun but it's just too fast... too many variables when traveling at high speed especially on the road, which is where I spend most of my time.

If you want something slightly faster go for a Honda S2000, they come fully forged from the factory and are good for 500bhp apparently... so you can tune away until your heart's content... they have good balance and great handling and you can rev the cr@p out of them... doubt you'd need to go much beyond 350bhp to make it into a serious track weapon either, and the main point is you get that Honda reliability.

Any fool can drive a Subaru or Evo quickly but it takes quite a bit more skill to peddle a RWD car properly.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 21 June 2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 21 June 2017, 12:24 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Bit early for magic mushroom innit ditch lad ?
Old 21 June 2017, 01:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Bit early for magic mushroom innit ditch lad ?
Haven't done drugs for 18yrs mate and I was never really into hallucinogens.

It's horses for courses, did the speed thing with bikes and most cars don't come close, the Type r isn't bad as it has the rear bias which was part of the reason I went for one, but it's still quite easy to go really fast... I'm more into the fun factor these days, I don't care about being the fastest or keeping up with exotica or the Joneses... I just do my own thing for kicks and I usually have more fun sliding about than trying to beat the lap record.

P.S When the playing field is level ie carting etc... I usually just knock out a few fast laps, beat everyone and then start sliding about waiting for them to catch up, because even when you are the fastest, it's boring being out in front on your own.