New exhaust time (twin scroll)

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2017, 10:12 AM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New exhaust time (twin scroll)

Morning guys

Time to change the exhaust on my MY03 JDM STI. Going against the grain here but I want a quiet exhaust especially for daily town driving, worst case a bit of noise at full chat. I know it's controversial in these cars but its how I like it. I've done the rounds to finding out what's what but understandably most info is on the UK cars not JDM models and when it is 'quiet' isn't the key element.

The car is going to be kept fairly standard with the exception of a remap with the usual supporting mods (filter, plugs, pump etc). I've been told a 3" exhaust is the best for spool times etc but concerned the larger diameter will be too noisy? A sports cat for MOT times would be preferred but a decat isn't out the question.

Finally if there's the option for choice out there a standard size backbox tip is preferred not a huge dust bin sized can! Fussy b*stard I know!

Suggestions please folks...

Thanks,
Binny
Old 18 June 2017, 10:17 AM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would probably start with the Prodrive backbox as it can be had for cheapness, it's 2.5 system
Old 18 June 2017, 11:05 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Might suit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1727324754...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 18 June 2017, 12:52 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Miltek 3" had one on my spec-c not loud and track friendly costs but you pay for quality
Old 18 June 2017, 02:48 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Looks spot on but it's not resonated in the centre section so surely it's loud?
Old 18 June 2017, 02:58 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

I've found this video on YouTube, seems to be same system from the description but the video was shot in a garage so no doubt amplifies the noise plus judging by the burble is fitted to a uk car not a JDM so will sound different.

https://youtu.be/VtkZHpLxjgk

Does anyone have have experience with this set up and either can confirm it's noise level and better still show me some videos of theirs in action!!

Thanks,
Binny
Old 18 June 2017, 05:56 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Sounds like you'll be best off with a milltek nice and suite but roar on full chat binny

But be aware my back box was getting real rusty and mid pipe wasn't far off

Last edited by ZANY; 18 June 2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 18 June 2017, 07:59 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a 3" resonated decat Milltek which I will be removing from the car next week as it's too quiet...
Old 18 June 2017, 09:06 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
I have a 3" resonated decat Milltek which I will be removing from the car next week as it's too quiet...
Talk to me Sir!
Old 19 June 2017, 01:58 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have experience of both the Milltek and H&S exhausts as a comparison? I'm favouring the smaller back box on the H&S but fear it's a noisy exhaust...
Old 19 June 2017, 02:27 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a full 3" system, running a full h&s decated down pipe then I bough a hks hi power silent system and had the flange opened up to 3" which I had done at h&s also for my 03 Jdm spec c.

I've been through blitzs and other systems on other imprezas and tbh I mainly kept the bung in most of the time... the hks silent is as it says silent most of time the time but dose open up nicely when on full boost.

If I'm honest I wouldn't mind something just slightly louder but I am happy with it for now anyways
Old 19 June 2017, 02:52 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz
I have a full 3" system, running a full h&s decated down pipe then I bough a hks hi power silent system and had the flange opened up to 3" which I had done at h&s also for my 03 Jdm spec c.

I've been through blitzs and other systems on other imprezas and tbh I mainly kept the bung in most of the time... the hks silent is as it says silent most of time the time but dose open up nicely when on full boost.

If I'm honest I wouldn't mind something just slightly louder but I am happy with it for now anyways
So in comparision to the HKS silent system how does the decatted 3" H&S compare? Would you say it's a loud system? If you keep the bung in on your current system you must like a silent (ish) exhaust too, was the H&S system too loud for a daily?

I'm not against a louder exhaust when you give it some stick but not for town driving, that's what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 21 June 2017, 04:13 PM
Wrx sti Ed
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've a widetrack Jdm Sti and it was standard when imported. I had a cosworth panel filter, NGK PFR7B's, RCM fuel pump, HKS sports cat, HKS Silent Hi Power system and remap. The car is a daily so I don't want anything noisy, it's very quiet with a little exhaust note around town but sounds different went opening it up. It's definitely a option worth looking at.
Name:  C199006E-CA41-40D5-ADFF-AB776F1A55F5_zpsr7heuweh.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  428.9 KB
Name:  F22B643C-D614-44FB-8414-57328B8E31AE_zpsiq9rf21k.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  268.2 KB
Old 21 June 2017, 04:22 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wrx sti Ed
I've a widetrack Jdm Sti and it was standard when imported. I had a cosworth panel filter, NGK PFR7B's, RCM fuel pump, HKS sports cat, HKS Silent Hi Power system and remap. The car is a daily so I don't want anything noisy, it's very quiet with a little exhaust note around town but sounds different went opening it up. It's definitely a option worth looking at.

Looks great, and an almost identical set up to yours. They don't seem to come up for sale that often though.