Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road rage

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2001, 02:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to mess up the width, but this is interesting.
Old 18 May 2001, 05:59 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I heard this on the radio this morning as I was driving to work. I looked at
the cars around me to find in front of me 3 fords. 2 blue. 1 red. Behind me
was another blue Ford.

I instantly felt angry and ran the *******s off the road
Old 18 May 2001, 06:06 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

what a stat that is....i wonder if ford having more cars on the road than anyone else possibly with red, white and blue as the most popular colours have something to do with it

PS mine is Flint Grey and will never get run off the road
Old 18 May 2001, 06:11 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Angry

Tailgating is indeed a nightmare. Nine times out of ten it's some spotty herbert who's clapped out motor has got s**t for brakes. You sit there and think, 'I touch my 330mm 6 pots and you're in my boot!!' Goons
Old 18 May 2001, 07:57 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think actually as a long distance M25 driver, 9/10 theres a good reason for it. Sure i'm guilty of it, but it is the complete lack of observation by alot of drivers whom remain stuck to the outside lane when the inner lanes are free that causes me to do it. Its not the tailgating thats the problem, its the hard braking they do. To us with our 330mm 6 pots it may be ok but yes, to the majority...
If theres an accident the guy behind is to blame but the cause is the totally unrequired negative driving of braking that creates the accident.
Old 18 May 2001, 08:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by InvisibleMan:
<B>I think actually as a long distance M25 driver, 9/10 theres a good reason for it. Sure i'm guilty of it, but it is the complete lack of observation by alot of drivers whom remain stuck to the outside lane when the inner lanes are free that causes me to do it. Its not the tailgating thats the problem, its the hard braking they do. To us with our 330mm 6 pots it may be ok but yes, to the majority...
If theres an accident the guy behind is to blame but the cause is the totally unrequired negative driving of braking that creates the accident. [/quote]

And it's not guns that kill, it's the madmen that buy them??

I totally agree that there are infuriating idiots who sit in the outside lane, and that lane discipline should be enforced strictly. But the way you've worded the above, does sound like a hell of a generalisation "I'm right, all the others are wrong".

Dick Grimes taught us the pressure overtake was the only solution (move a bit closer, right indicator, hang right a bit). Are we talking tailgating (giving the guy an impatient and aggressive hint to move over) or driving too close - usually done by equally careless people who don't pay attention to their braking distance? Former should be done as above to hopefully take the aggression out of it, latter... well, the sooner they bring out a rear-mounted LED display that says "Back off Stupid" the better.

Driving too close is my pet hate, BTW

BJH
Old 18 May 2001, 08:23 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

You're right. Thats exactly what i do, and i'm probably the most patient, passive person in the universe! but how long a time is it resonable to hang back 10mins+ when for all that time they have not once moved their head to look at the rear view mirror?

Trending Topics

Old 19 May 2001, 08:22 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I really can't beleive you guys Tailgating is OK because I have 6-pot brakes?? You are an accident waiting to happen.

It has been proved that at 80 MPH a BTCC touring car driven by a BTCC driver following a standard car (I think it was a mundane-o) two car lengths behind - a lot further that most 'tailgating' incidents, couldn't avoid hitting the car infront once the brakes had been hit - it's called reaction time! If you both applied your brakes at the same time, yes you would stop quicker, but you have to see his lights come on, then hit your brakes, by that time, that is not all you will probably have hit

It is frustrating when some ***** is sat in the outside lane, but give them a flash (PIAAs are VERY good for this ) but don't risk your own life and other's (and your car) with your feeling of invicibility

I get your kind of ****** sitting on my bumper when I am over taking in the outside lane beacuse I am only doing a mere 80mph. If I stamped on the brakes, they would join me on the back seat of my car

Just think a little when you are behind the wheel. It is your driving styles that are making driving the criminal activity it is now classed as
Old 19 May 2001, 09:00 AM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Bloody Hell Gary !...... Wanna borrow me tin hat ? ......... <B> INCOMING ! </B>
Old 19 May 2001, 03:56 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Tailgating IS BAD AND SO IS BRAKING; 2 wrongs dont make a right.
1. When driving arent you supposed observe the road conditions to as far as you can see. I dont just look at the car in front but from 10, 20 cars ahead and assess what is going on, if the 10th car ahead brakes, you'll be braking 5secs later, or whatever. This is what was taught on the course was it not?
2. (probably gonna put my foot in it) but doesnt it state that if car wishes to pass and the road ahead & to the left is clear and it is safe to do so, pull over and let the approachiing car past.

I think we may be talking 2 different arguments here. I'm talking more on lack of observation.

I am writing this because only this morning, not me but an unmarked police car had this very problem.
I was on the outside lane when i noticed quite some distance behind an unmarked police car with its blues flashing. It aint to difficult to miss. I pulled over and the officer gave me the thumbs up. Why did he do that i thought?
I followed the car for some time and could tell by their body language that they were getting a bit frustated. The middle lane had very light traffic so cars could of quite easily moved over, but they simply did not.
I moved over to the middle lane which was going faster and undertook the police car and serveral others. The officers looked at me, i looked at them. They pulled up behind me and we both shot off. At an available point i pulled over to let the them pass.

They grinned and shrugged their shoulders, i returned the gesture....

I think it should be made compulsary to Richards course!!
Old 19 May 2001, 05:13 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Red face

GaryC &gt; my comment about top notch brakes was intended to show how it's EVEN MORE dangerous for someone to tailgate myself as, like you say, if we both applied the brakes hard at the same time, then they would end up in my boot. If I misinterprated your reply, then I apologise for defending myself

I also agree with the point many are making about the general lack of observation you see on the roads, and especially with regards to lane discipline. You get a bunch of tubes in the outside lane cruising at 65 (they all think to themselves, 'I can go faster so I'll wait for this lot to pull in') with middle and inside lanes virtually empty. My philosophy is then to cruise past them all in the inside lane. If anyone complains I say that you are allowed to undertake in a queue - and when they all sit in the outside lane, they create a queue. Hey presto
Old 19 May 2001, 05:17 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Just in case I didn't make it clear, I think tailgating is bad news.

Also, when I was recently on the continent I noticed that when someone wants to pass someone else in the outside lane they signal 'left', it appears to be a Europewide unwritten rule, and has advantages over getting close up and flashing headlights that tends to be the case in the UK. I think we Brits could learn something by that
Old 19 May 2001, 05:20 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well, I'm pleased to have sparked off such a debate - OK, I didn't, the survey did... How does one go about starting a national campaign to improve lane discipline? I suppose, as with tailgating, it's difficult to police, as one police car would often have to pull over two or more offenders.

Mook - I must have been out of UK too long. Why do you call them a bunch of tubes?

BJH
Old 19 May 2001, 06:12 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Smile

Brendan &gt; come to think of it, I'm not sure . Heard a chum use it to diss someone reasonably successfully, decided to add it to my arsenal of clean derogatory terms . Someone being a 'hoop' is my current fav
Old 19 May 2001, 06:18 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oh, hang on. My "I'm a complete muppet" alarm is going off! A 'tube' is a clean reference to something a young lady possesses that is a man's best friend, if you get my drift
Old 19 May 2001, 09:34 PM
foxyange
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

jesusbejesus! Will you lot listen to yourselves! Road rage is just a fact of life, like supermarket trolley rage, shopping with the missus rage, and 'stars in their eyes' rage. You lot sound much scarier than anyone with road rage that I've ever encountered, and if you feel so strongly, get the bus. That'll make sure you appreciate your own 4 wheels, even if the tosser infront did just undertake you in the TWO PLUS LANE for God's sake!

: