Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2017, 06:35 PM
Civeeek
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GB270 Owner looking for advice

Hi there!

It's my first post, please be gentle!

I purchased a GB270 last week, the decision was based more on impulse than logic and reason.

Anyway. I live in Germany these days so the car is coming with me to be a weekend/project/money-pit car.

It wants a few things sorting out such as discs & pads, it's got a weird intermittent knock on the n/s/f wheel (God knows what that is), someone stuck a 3" downpipe on it and removed the cats (good for smiles, bad for German TUV).
Could someone please point me in the direction of a good source of standard and oem parts for the GB270. I haven't been able to find much...what is the engine & chassis code in these things?

Many thanks!

Sean
Old 21 May 2017, 07:57 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

Hi, l have a gb270, ..For Brakes, l would speak to Ian at "godspeed brakes", good advice on improving the standard, and upgraded parts, , the and as standard l think the need uprating,...... ie discs and calipers, as for other parts uprated or standard, ..to make it "TUV" compliant, talk to one of the breakers on here, in the for sale forum, ie,"mattybr5@MB Developments", there is a great wealth of Knowledge here,..dont be afraid to ask.....Hope this helps
Old 22 May 2017, 12:02 AM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For standard OEM parts

Import Car Parts
Advanced Automotives

Both stock the majority of the subaru catalogue as well as aftermarket parts
Old 22 May 2017, 07:01 AM
Civeeek
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Guys, I will definitely be looking into these recommendations.

I have been reading about some WRX's use oil, and others don't. I used to have a Type R and there was the same old debate. Is it the luck of the draw again, or anything to keep an eye on.
I did come across the term chocolate piston...not sure what this is but sounds expensive!
Old 22 May 2017, 08:22 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Civeeek
Thanks Guys, I will definitely be looking into these recommendations.

I have been reading about some WRX's use oil, and others don't. I used to have a Type R and there was the same old debate. Is it the luck of the draw again, or anything to keep an eye on.
I did come across the term chocolate piston...not sure what this is but sounds expensive!
chocolate pistons refer to the 2.5 OE pistons as they are known to fail for various reasons but don't panic strait away, some last just fine but others let go strait away so there is no way of really knowing if your 2.5 will let go or not or when if at all lol ,so best just to enjoy it and worry about it if it happens,, only way to really be 100% safe is to have a forged engine built and even then it needs to be built by the right person as they can still have issues when forged if not done correctly

but you can't beat a properly built 2.5

another one for advanced automotives in Bristol
Old 22 May 2017, 04:04 PM
Civeeek
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the chocolatey explanation & recommendation!

Hopefully it will last a while yet, and just enjoy it for now.
Old 10 June 2017, 02:24 PM
Civeeek
Scooby Newbie

Does anyone happen to know what the KYB Ultra SR part numbers are for the GB270?

I've been let down. Was told they were 324030/324031/324032/324033.
However, the fronts were missing the fitments for the abs line, and the prodrive springs are about 22cm across and the seat was only 16.5cm on what I'd ordered.

They don't need to be KYB if anyone else has any suggestions (and part numbers!)

Thanks!
Sean
Old 12 June 2017, 10:24 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

the chocolate piston issue appears to be much more hatchback onwards that's when failures became more common on standard cars , any car highly tuned car stands more chance of failing