Coolant pipes keep splitting

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2017, 09:44 PM
steve.gee
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant pipes keep splitting

Hi all

I have a 98 facelift . Every time i go out in it a coolant pipe goes & im now getting bored of changing them . Ive ordered a full set of samco hoses but dont want to put them on till i can find out the problem . It seems to happen when i hit boost ? Can any1 help

Thank you
Old 05 May 2017, 09:51 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

engine mounts or engine stabiliser mount fu cked ?
Old 05 May 2017, 10:00 PM
steve.gee
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
How can engine mounts cause pipes to split ? The first 1 was the coolant pipe to turbo. then 1 on back of engine. then the top radiator hose x2 i have put samco on the rad top & bottom now another has gone but im not sure were it is . The water was flowing over the bottom rad pipe
Old 05 May 2017, 10:04 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

splitting or coming off , boost knocks up the temp a lot , uprated hoses should do it but i'm
surprised you are getting issues with standard ones , if they are splitting a new hose that's strange ? if they are coming off new better clamps
Old 05 May 2017, 10:06 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Headgasket issue causing cooling system to pressurise?
Old 05 May 2017, 10:06 PM
steve.gee
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
How can engine mounts cause pipes to split ? The first 1 was the coolant pipe to turbo. then 1 on back of engine. then the top radiator hose x2 i have put samco on the rad top & bottom now another has gone but im not sure were it is . The water was flowing over the bottom rad pipe
Old 05 May 2017, 10:08 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

if engine rocks pipes are knackered

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2017, 10:13 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My system used to pressurise blowing pipes off etc. Thought it was the heads initially, even swapped to another engine.

Turned out to be that stupid metal pipe that goes over the rad into the overflow bottle on the passenger side, the pipe was blocked with rust and the pressure had nowhere to go.
Replaced the pipe with some hose and never had any issues since.
Old 05 May 2017, 10:16 PM
steve.gee
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
splitting or coming off , boost knocks up the temp a lot , uprated hoses should do it but i'm
surprised you are getting issues with standard ones , if they are splitting a new hose that's strange ? if they are coming off new better clamps
They are splitting .its a different pipe every time. When the top rad hose went i put a second hand 1 on it could of been dodgy thats why that went again . So i got some samco of a mate & they seem to be ok. The car has a front mount & both cats removed & induction kit but i dont think it was remapped (ive only had it 8mths) could that cause a problem. i was told it could be the heads but im kinda hoping its not .
Old 05 May 2017, 10:18 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are splitting .its a different pipe every time. When the top rad hose went i put a second hand 1 on it could of been dodgy thats why that went again . So i got some samco of a mate & they seem to be ok. The car has a front mount & both cats removed & induction kit but i dont think it was remapped (ive only had it 8mths) could that cause a problem. i was told it could be the heads but im kinda hoping its not .
Get a sniff test kit off ebay, then you'll know for sure.
Old 05 May 2017, 10:51 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

it definitely needs a remap asap with those mods done , possible hg issue but a false economy not buying new pipes , it's a 19 year old car or so so i'm not surprised some pipes are going , any coolant or over heating issues , is your plastic non pressured coolant tank over flowing when hot and not emptying when cold , hopefully not a hg issue as it would be pretty bad to cause hose issues , can't run a car like this on a budget get new hoses and clips , if you buy second hand you could just be buying an old piece of worn hose any way , i think you were buying a hose kit that's a good start
Old 05 May 2017, 11:15 PM
steve.gee
Scooby Newbie

it definitely needs a remap asap with those mods done , possible hg issue but a false economy not buying new pipes , it's a 19 year old car or so so i'm not surprised some pipes are going , any coolant or over heating issues , is your plastic non pressured coolant tank over flowing when hot and not emptying when cold , hopefully not a hg issue as it would be pretty bad to cause hose issues , can't run a car like this on a budget get new hoses and clips , if you buy second hand you could just be buying an old piece of worn hose any way , i think you were buying a hose kit that's a good start
I ordered a full set of samco hoses about 6 weeks ago ancillary & coolant & clips . the delivery date is 9th may so should be here next week. Is the plastic non pressured coolant tank behind the nsf light ? How do i check that ? Thank you
Old 06 May 2017, 06:55 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

i'm not sure on the classic the new age it's on the rad , i would check your coolant levels any way to check they are ok
Old 06 May 2017, 07:32 AM
steve.gee
Scooby Newbie

i'm not sure on the classic the new age it's on the rad , i would check your coolant levels any way to check they are ok
Levels were ok till the last pipe went. When i put the pipes on rad i emptied the whole system & filled ir back up . With no air locks
Old 06 May 2017, 07:57 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

HG`s tend to blow the hoses up like a balloon before they pop . . .
post a pic of the damaged hoses and it will be easy to work out the problem.
Old 06 May 2017, 08:48 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Hoses can split from degraded rubber. Oil contamination usually, which causes them to swell , thin out as a result, then split, you can normally tell as there will be sludge in the header tank. Other causes can be truck wash, degreasers or a strong cleaning chemical used to clean the engine bay; this as a few one-off applications could be fine, but if used more often could dry out the rubber.

If you had a new genuine original OEM hose (assuming the split hoses are originals), and put it side by side with the old one you can easily tell as the old one will be bigger in diameter. If the old ones are swollen and feel really soft and pliable, then they will fail sooner rather than later

I've had problems with degraded antifreeze and longlife/OAT antifreezes making plastic go brittle on cars intended for normal antifreeze, but yet to see a hose issue, so I don't think it's a antifreeze issue. But knackered antifreeze can kill heads gaskets as it corrodes the aluminium. Many people negate the 3yr change intervals.

Head gaskets and over pressurisation as a result is always a concern on these engines, if the engine has overheated from the early hose failure it could have cooked the gaskets, so subsequent hose failures could now be due to a head gasket. These engines do not tolerate overheating or air-locks.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 May 2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06 May 2017, 10:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd be getting a sniff test done asap.
Old 06 May 2017, 11:33 AM
Jampot
Scooby Regular

Is it different hose or same hose?

It's rubber and they are 19 years old! Some cars don't make 10 years before they perish!
Old 06 May 2017, 07:45 PM
steve.gee
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Pross
My system used to pressurise blowing pipes off etc. Thought it was the heads initially, even swapped to another engine.

Turned out to be that stupid metal pipe that goes over the rad into the overflow bottle on the passenger side, the pipe was blocked with rust and the pressure had nowhere to go.
Replaced the pipe with some hose and never had any issues since.
Just tested the pipe that goes over the rad & u was right it is blocked solid ... i will get it replaced & c how it goes thank you
Old 06 May 2017, 07:53 PM
steve.gee
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Hoses can split from degraded rubber. Oil contamination usually, which causes them to swell , thin out as a result, then split, you can normally tell as there will be sludge in the header tank. Other causes can be truck wash, degreasers or a strong cleaning chemical used to clean the engine bay; this as a few one-off applications could be fine, but if used more often could dry out the rubber.

If you had a new genuine original OEM hose (assuming the split hoses are originals), and put it side by side with the old one you can easily tell as the old one will be bigger in diameter. If the old ones are swollen and feel really soft and pliable, then they will fail sooner rather than later

I've had problems with degraded antifreeze and longlife/OAT antifreezes making plastic go brittle on cars intended for normal antifreeze, but yet to see a hose issue, so I don't think it's a antifreeze issue. But knackered antifreeze can kill heads gaskets as it corrodes the aluminium. Many people negate the 3yr change intervals.

Head gaskets and over pressurisation as a result is always a concern on these engines, if the engine has overheated from the early hose failure it could have cooked the gaskets, so subsequent hose failures could now be due to a head gasket. These engines do not tolerate overheating or air-locks.
Im sure all the hoses were original which is why i ordered the samco hoses. Coolant & ancillery.. Ive just checked the metal pipe that runs along top of rad & it is blocked solid so will get that changed put the samco pipes on & see how it goes .
Old 06 May 2017, 09:25 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good stuff.