330S, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2017, 03:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 330S, yes or no?

My youngest is looking at these.

Do they suffer the same problems as the ones in the 2.5 litre engine failure thread?

Any other drawbacks to be aware of?

TIA.
Old 05 May 2017, 05:59 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as im aware they suffer with the same problem, pretty sure its just a exhaust and remap to bring the power upto 330bhp in terms of performance over the standard Type UK, but yeah same sh1te engine!!
Old 05 May 2017, 06:38 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

A no from me as well. If it was a 2.0 I'd have bought one, but went JDM Hawkeye just because of that 2.5 engine.
Old 05 May 2017, 06:41 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

love my 330s hatch ,, loads of extras over the standard hatch , iv had many 2.5s now and they have all been ok for me so its down to luck I think on wether it will let go or not ,, but I never let it put me off as the torque is far better for daily driving
Old 05 May 2017, 07:31 PM
Lora-x
Scooby Regular

Another vote in favour here too! Love my 330s, it's got some nice extras really, better seats, reverse camera, keyless entry etc.

Mine did suffer from ringland failure shortly after I bought it though, but had the engine forged. So long as you can either budget for the cost of the forged engine if it does happen, or pick one up that's had it done already.
Old 05 May 2017, 07:37 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes they do suffer the same problems.....I currently have one in bits that I took apart for a headgasket issue,it also has Ringland failure.
As said above they don't all suffer these faults but it is pot luck....I have a 2.5 sti that I have had no engine issues with and wouldn't hesitate on buying another.
Old 05 May 2017, 09:59 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

it is luck of the draw , 2.5 is a much more drive able lump compared to the 2 litre lump
just shame about its issues , i'm sure many 2.5 have been fine , if it goes look at a full forged rebuild as crank bearings will be toast , and a forged lump is a good mod plus more power

Trending Topics

Old 06 May 2017, 08:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

We all know Alcazar has no luck with cars. So the 2.5 being pot luck, well, yeah I can see where this will end.

Of course unless it's been rebuilt, uprated gaskets, studs, forged and a sensible map all done by reputable garages with the invoices to prove it and the subsequent maintenance.
Old 06 May 2017, 09:29 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One way you do it would be to keep and eye on ebay or copart for one that has already had engine issues (they come up fairly regularly) then forge it yourself.
Old 06 May 2017, 11:36 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

AS above, its the 2.5, they all suffer the same issues, even the new ones
Old 06 May 2017, 11:50 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So is the litchfield 2.5 engine ok.
Old 06 May 2017, 11:54 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
So is the litchfield 2.5 engine ok.
Depends what they have done to it, if it uses stock long engine then doubt it.
Old 06 May 2017, 05:34 PM
BIGEMP
Scooby Regular

yep had one and mine went as well,went Jdm Instead
Old 07 May 2017, 08:52 AM
Kneivel67
Scooby Newbie

Having just added to my toy collection, I applied common sense based on the law of averages (a first for me). I have stuck with the 2.0 but I LOVE the '08+ models, but they are seriously expensive to repair .... You could get a good BUG and a BLOB for the repair costs ��
Old 07 May 2017, 09:26 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kneivel67
Having just added to my toy collection, I applied common sense based on the law of averages (a first for me). I have stuck with the 2.0 but I LOVE the '08+ models, but they are seriously expensive to repair .... You could get a good BUG and a BLOB for the repair costs ��
but once you have a properly forged hatch you understand why its worth the extra money
Old 07 May 2017, 11:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Why is it?
Old 07 May 2017, 11:40 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Why is it?
because a properly forged 2.5 gives tons of torque and you don't have to worry about it falling apart , and the extras the hatchback comes with makes it a much nicer place to be than any of the other scoobs iv owned , love mine anyway lol
Old 07 May 2017, 01:26 PM
yellowevo
Scooby Regular

How much do they sell for with a blown motor
Old 07 May 2017, 04:04 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowevo
How much do they sell for with a blown motor
there was 1 on eBay early this week, thinknit had 40-50k on with a knackered engine. Sold for 6200
Old 07 May 2017, 04:07 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192169245945

needed abit of tidying up but not a bad price I don't think
Old 07 May 2017, 04:35 PM
Kneivel67
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by domino46
but once you have a properly forged hatch you understand why its worth the extra money
Yep, i haven't written the idea off, just couldn't find one when i had money burning a hole in my pocket :-(
Old 07 May 2017, 11:48 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

a full re build is around 5200£ or so , if crank is ok , it's not just crank bearings and pistons the head bolts arp or like are an important part or you will get hg issues if you don't do them
Old 08 May 2017, 08:33 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
My youngest is looking at these.

Do they suffer the same problems as the ones in the 2.5 litre engine failure thread?

Any other drawbacks to be aware of?

TIA.
Yeah, they definitely suffer the same 2.5 litre engine fate.
My old 330S went bang in the hand of a new owner.

Other issues to consider - drivers seat is likely to make really annoying squeaking noise on cornering/braking/deceleration unless its had an upgraded part fitted to it.
I don't know the name of the part, something to do with seat rails I think, but it was done under warranty on mine at the cost of approx £800.
Drivers seat bolsters wear very badly, and the rear parcel shelf rattles unless you do something about it.
The one I had was dark grey, and the paint work at the front had loads of chips, so I don't know if the paint on them was softer than previous versions.

But having said that, I really liked it, much nicer inside than other Impreza's.
Old 08 May 2017, 11:18 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Yeah, they definitely suffer the same 2.5 litre engine fate.
My old 330S went bang in the hand of a new owner.

Other issues to consider - drivers seat is likely to make really annoying squeaking noise on cornering/braking/deceleration unless its had an upgraded part fitted to it.
I don't know the name of the part, something to do with seat rails I think, but it was done under warranty on mine at the cost of approx £800.
Drivers seat bolsters wear very badly, and the rear parcel shelf rattles unless you do something about it.
The one I had was dark grey, and the paint work at the front had loads of chips, so I don't know if the paint on them was softer than previous versions.

But having said that, I really liked it, much nicer inside than other Impreza's.
The seat still squeaks

and the parcel "shelf" got taken out the first day and it's been in the garage ever since. It's a horrible rattly thing.
Old 08 May 2017, 11:32 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
The seat still squeaks

and the parcel "shelf" got taken out the first day and it's been in the garage ever since. It's a horrible rattly thing.
The seat is bloody annoying isn't it.
Just remembered, some trim bits in the the boot lid also rattled.

If you ever take the trim off, you'll probably find a whole lot of bits of sponge in there.
Anyway, back to that seat, the "bits" they fitted definitely cured it while I had it.
Old 08 May 2017, 01:04 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Have a 2010 STI Hatch here at the moment, done 93,000 miles, all original engine to the car, no ring land damage, big ends are fairly worn, but was still running ok, still on its original clutch, so they do last, first one I have seen to do this mileage on everything OE, although it is being forged by its current owner, prior to a upgrade in power.
Old 08 May 2017, 01:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
Have a 2010 STI Hatch here at the moment, done 93,000 miles, all original engine to the car, no ring land damage, big ends are fairly worn, but was still running ok, still on its original clutch, so they do last, first one I have seen to do this mileage on everything OE, although it is being forged by its current owner, prior to a upgrade in power.
any pics of the ware on the bearings?
Old 08 May 2017, 10:58 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
The seat is bloody annoying isn't it.
Just remembered, some trim bits in the the boot lid also rattled.

If you ever take the trim off, you'll probably find a whole lot of bits of sponge in there.
Anyway, back to that seat, the "bits" they fitted definitely cured it while I had it.
bubble wrap u must have used ! Spotted when doing rear lights clear
I'd have done the same , rattles drive me mad.

the seat . . .I sprated a bit of WD40 and it cured it for a good while. It also depends where it's adjusted to. It's not too bad compared to when I first bought it
Old 12 May 2017, 01:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
bubble wrap u must have used ! Spotted when doing rear lights clear
I'd have done the same , rattles drive me mad.

the seat . . .I sprated a bit of WD40 and it cured it for a good while. It also depends where it's adjusted to. It's not too bad compared to when I first bought it

I wonder if the seat issue is anything similar to the problem on I had on the Recaros in my Golf...they'd only squeak when nobody was sat in there.

As the 330S also has Recaros albeit slightly different, I wonder if they are of the same construction

I stripped the entire seat down...removed the covering to find sculptured polystyrene which formed part of the seat shape had become unglued from the seat-back and was rubbing against the metal tube that's attached to the back adjuster.

Glued it, put it all back together and hasn't squeaked since for the past 8 years as a daily driver.

Have some pics somewhere on the PC at home, I'll see if I can find them when I get back

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 May 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12 May 2017, 08:07 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I wonder if the seat issue is anything similar to the problem on I had on the Recaros in my Golf...they'd only squeak when nobody was sat in there.

As the 330S also has Recaros albeit slightly different, I wonder if they are of the same construction

I stripped the entire seat down...removed the covering to find sculptured polystyrene which formed part of the seat shape had become unglued from the seat-back and was rubbing against the metal tube that's attached to the back adjuster.

Glued it, put it all back together and hasn't squeaked since for the past 8 years as a daily driver.

Have some pics somewhere on the PC at home, I'll see if I can find them when I get back
No it something underneath, but same idea. Something rubbing on the metal. Only when the seat is in a certain position and when going round a corner at a certain angle. I fired a wee squit of WD40 and it stops it for a good while.